ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Harry999

Enlightened
My H502 just arrived and I am very pleased with this latest offering from Zebralight! The tint does have a visible green hue on the outer rim of the beam, but this is only noticeable with white wall hunting. I normally prefer warm or neutral tints in all my lights, but the cool flood looks great with my kindle screen.

I like the size, fit and finish is excellent, the adjustable levels on Medium and Low is nice and I really appreciate the new four click battery level meter. Well done Zebralight!

thaugen,

Thank you for posting this. I am currently using the H501 cool white to read my Kindle in bed and you have confirmed my decision that I will have to get the H502. I am also considering the H502d because I find that leds with 5000k work great with the Kindle as well with the slightly warmer tint being easier on the eyes in the dark. I will wait until early July and then probably order both if early reviews of the H502d are favourable.

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
Been lurking here and waiting for many months for the release of this lamp, now there's several versions to choose from. Having never seen a warm led or high cri led, this makes the choice pretty tough. My usage would be for work around camp at night, reading books/kindle in bed/hotels without disturbing my girlfriend and taking notes when working on dark film sets. Am I really likely to notice much difference in tint?

Esko

Enlightened
H502d preordered. I thought I might want to see some reviews first, but then again, I know I have use for this kind of light and unless it had something badly wrong, I would buy one version anyway.

5K is pretty much the CCT I have been wanting to get. So far, my only outdoor white light ("real neutral") has been a Shiningbeam S-mini with XP-G E3. As a bonus, this is high(er) cri. I am sure H502c would have been nice as a dedicated all flood light, too. But I would want to see the new tint myself anyway.

Been lurking here and waiting for many months for the release of this lamp, now there's several versions to choose from. Having never seen a warm led or high cri led, this makes the choice pretty tough. My usage would be for work around camp at night, reading books/kindle in bed/hotels without disturbing my girlfriend and taking notes when working on dark film sets. Am I really likely to notice much difference in tint?

You have seen a cool white led and incandescent light. Compare them. The standard model is cool white and W and C models will be pretty much in the middle of those two. After that, imagine removing the yellow hue from the C/W light. It should be pretty close to D.

W and C should be rather close to each other. Otherwise the tints are clearly different, but eyes do adjust to the tint and especially if the headlamp is the only light source, the differences don't look so big. And personal taste has some effect, too. Still, IMHO for the use you described, you would benefit from something warmer than the standard model.

Last edited:

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
You have seen a cool white led and incandescent light. Compare them. The standard model is cool white and W and C models will be pretty much in the middle of those two. After that, imagine removing the yellow hue from the C/W light. It should be pretty close to D.

W and C should be rather close to each other. Otherwise the tints are clearly different, but eyes do adjust to the tint and especially if the headlamp is the only light source, the differences don't look so big. And personal taste has some effect, too. Still, IMHO for the use you described, you would benefit from something warmer than the standard model.

Esko, thanks very much for that, it's really helpful. I think I'll be ordering a warm when it comes out, seems to be a nice mix of easier on the eye colour rendition and light output. Cheers.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to resist getting one, with all these positive user reviews. I will get the cool version too, for now.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see a H502/H51F comparison. I think H502 is closer to the H51F than it is to the H501.

Last edited:

ulfheonar

Newly Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight H502 X-ML

I need an headlamp for this summer , I wanted that W , but looks like I wont have choice to order D , I hope to not regret it , I just received my eneloop XX , anyone can tell me how far 502 thrrows outdoors , I need around 15 meters , does 51 or 31 with reflector throws more , how much difference ?

biglights

Enlightened

Looks interesting, I think I will have to check this out.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I need an headlamp for this summer , I wanted that W , but looks like I wont have choice to order D , I hope to not regret it , I just received my eneloop XX , anyone can tell me how far 502 thrrows outdoors , I need around 15 meters , does 51 or 31 with reflector throws more , how much difference ?
This is one of the floodiest lights you can buy. If you need any amount of throw you might want to consider a reflector based light.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope to not regret it ...anyone can tell me how far 502 thrrows outdoors?

I really don't understand "how far does it throw?" as a follow-up question after buying a full flood. With no reflector, it doesn't throw. How far the flood will reach depends on how constricted your pupil is. If you want throw you definitely bought the wrong light.

Last edited:

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened

...anyone can tell me how far 502 thrrows outdoors , I need around 15 meters...

I really don't understand "how far does it throw?" as a follow-up question after buying a full flood. With no reflector, it doesn't throw.

He just wanted to know if it would throw 15 meters. 15 meters isn't very far. It's less than 50 feet.

I don't have a H502 and I don't know how far it throws. But it seems like a fair question to me.

I wonder what actual H502 owners think.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then we are using different definitions of what "throw" is. Most people refer to "throw" as how the reflector (or magnifying optics) manipulate the light to go a good deal beyond what the bare emitter does on its own.

There seems to be a lot of speculation about what use the H502 is best suited for from people who don't own one yet.

I wonder what actual H502 owners think.

I am an owner... paid ... just don't have possession yet! But I think this thread is open to anyone who wants to participate in the discussion. Don't need to have it in my hands to tell you that the H502 is not a thrower.

Last edited:

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened

Then we are using different definitions of what "throw" is.
It seems like it. I'm using the dictionary definition: to project, to cast. I also took into account the specific distance that ulfheonar included in his question: 15m.

Forget for a second that he used the word "thrrows". His question was whether the H502 could project or cast light 15m. 15m isn't that far. It's barely 50 feet. Aside maybe from his questionable word choice and misspelling, it sounds like a fair question to me.

I am an owner... paid ... just don't have possession yet!
I should have asked what possessors of the H502 think.

Don't need to have it in my hands to tell you that the H502 is not a thrower.
But having it or something similar would certainly help in answering whether it can reach 50 feet.

I read your Spark SD52 review and its output and beam seem like they would be similar to the H502. Can the SD52 reach 50 feet?

Last edited:

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened

I have an H502 and I would say it casts 15 feet. In my small backyard it will light up to the fence 50 feet away, and you could make out if there is rabbit back there but it would be a long stretch to say it throws 50 feet. It is an amazing little light, can't wait for my H502D to get here!

srfreddy

Enlightened
Well... ANSI standards calculate throw as when the center of the beam reaches intensity comparable to the full moon, so by that, the h502 would throw more than 50 feet.

R11

Newly Enlightened
LOL, too many flashlight nerds on this thread ;-). It seems he just wants to know if he'd be able to "see" 15 meters with it. I will say no. It will cast a bit of light 50', but I would say that that the maximum distance to actually be able to see things with any degree of definition and detail (on high) would probably be closer to around 10 meters at most. But that's really pretty darn decent for a little flood lamp though...

ron

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened
+1 to R11
I am going to guess that it is brighter than the full moon at 50 ft but not a lot, maybe . I would also say that the full moon is a pretty poor light to see a trail clearly ahead at 50 feet. That just might be my tired old eyes, YMMV. So I'll stick with it casts a light 15 feet. My only complaint with the one I got is the blue tint, which is why I am giving it to my brother and I am getting the 502D. I'll admit to liking the HCRI much better than the cool white, I know I will never buy another cool white anything, period. It's probably a fluke, but did anybody else get a blue tint?

R11

Newly Enlightened
My only complaint with the one I got is the blue tint, which is why I am giving it to my brother and I am getting the 502D. I'll admit to liking the HCRI much better than the cool white, I know I will never buy another cool white anything, period. It's probably a fluke, but did anybody else get a blue tint?
The color temp of the straight 502 is fine for me. I was a little concerned it might be too blue until I actually got it but then felt fine after I saw how it looked. When it comes to things like photos/cameras and TVs I'm totally anal about accurate colors. But with flashlights it's far less of a concern though. As long as colors are not significantly altered and still look like themselves (albeit with a bit of blue tint), I'm ok. I actually prefer the cool tint to a warm tint like the W or C versions will provide. The D unit was very intriguing as I think from a color perspective it would have probably been ideal, but runtime trumped out for me. It was a close decision though.

ron