ZebraLight H502 XM-L

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight H502 X-ML

The picture gives an idea of what is seen when looking at the emitter lens from the edge. I'm not sure at this point if the color is from a lens aberration, the emitter itself, the GITD, or something else. At first glance, it seems to be light from the emitter.
It's too hard to tell from the given images. It could be sensor blooming or lens aberration that's exaggerated by the emitter being out of focus in the side picture. (It actually looks like the focus point is on the far edge of the bezel)

mobi

Newly Enlightened

It's too hard to tell from the given images. It could be sensor blooming or lens aberration that's exaggerated by the emitter being out of focus in the side picture. (It actually looks like the focus point is on the far edge of the bezel)
The emitter light seems to change from white to green as the angle of emission increases, and may contribute to the green at the outer edge of beamshots. The picture I posted doesn't capture the effect in its entirety.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

How does the H502 handle low battery? Does it dim gradually, or does blink?

Here is a video of my H502 blinking non-stop. This was after being turned on low for about 2 hours. Can't turn it of.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a video of my H502 blinking non-stop. This was after being turned on low for about 2 hours. Can't turn it of.

Not that it will matter for warranty/replacement purposes, but I wonder if the water dunking had anything to do with the strange behavior.

Did you notice any of the erratic behavior before the water test or only after?

I know there have been other instances of ZebraLights not being as waterproof as they're supposed to be, so I'm wondering if maybe water got in via the switch boot (or elsewhere) during the dunk test.

Just putting it out there for consideration.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received my H502D today. I can't imagine a better headlamp. IMO the glow in the dark reflector is a completely non issue, it doesn't seem to provide any benefit for me, but also it doesn't seem to affect the beam at all (the small tinge at the edge of the beam is barely noticeable, and my SC600w has worse beam artifacts). I have never owned a headlamp or a high color temp with a high CRI. This thing rocks. I'm sorry I can't provide good photos, I don't have the equipment or the skill.

I'm checking the low battery issue currently, so far it works great, draining a battery to try right now....
UPDATE. I got the light down to 1 blink after checking battery status after 4 clicks from off. The light flashes every 7-8 seconds. It seems to be voltage based as the light recovered and only blinked once or twice, and stopped blinking once the battery recovered voltage. I ran the light on max to drain my eneloop some more and it continued to blink for more blinks, as I continued to do this it continued to blink more. As I continued to use the light more, the blinking time increased to 18-25 seconds between blinks.

Long story short, I like this thing. All features work so far, unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to play right now so I'll update as I use it.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

...the small tinge at the edge of the beam is barely noticeable.

That's good feedback! It's hard to say without seeing, but that would seem to indicate that the cooler H502 has much more green fringe based on the characteristics of the emitter (hope I'm expressing that correctly).

Out of curiosity, if you hold it close to a white wall (say, at 6 inches or so), does the fringe tint seem about the same? That is, no more or less noticeable?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the small(er) LED under the same large lense look weird at all to you on the H502D?

Henry50

Newly Enlightened

has anyone found a suitable holster? I'm keen on a small ultrafire (ebay cheapy) or similar to protect it from scratches.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's good feedback! It's hard to say without seeing, but that would seem to indicate that the cooler H502 has much more green fringe based on the characteristics of the emitter (hope I'm expressing that correctly).

Out of curiosity, if you hold it close to a white wall (say, at 6 inches or so), does the fringe tint seem about the same? That is, no more or less noticeable?
Subjective opinion on my part it seems to get warmer towards the edge at 6 inches from a white wall. When used on a headband it seems perfect, but I'll admit I don't have time to critique it. In my limited time I love it.
Does the small(er) LED under the same large lense look weird at all to you on the H502D?
Yes. It looks weird because I have never owned a pure flood light but I am digging it.
EDIT: See my post above if you are interested in the battery issue, I updated it after testing. I don't have a lot of free time right now so I look forward to seeing your opinions and such when I do find the time.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not that it will matter for warranty/replacement purposes, but I wonder if the water dunking had anything to do with the strange behavior.

Did you notice any of the erratic behavior before the water test or only after?

I know there have been other instances of ZebraLights not being as waterproof as they're supposed to be, so I'm wondering if maybe water got in via the switch boot (or elsewhere) during the dunk test.

Just putting it out there for consideration.

This might be a possibility, but I just don't know. I did the dunk test almost right away after turning it on and off a few times to make sure I have a working light.

Anyway it's going back and I will be waiting for the H502w. I am back to using the H51w as my neck light/headlamp. My preference for neutral tint is once again reaffirmed by looking at the H502 and H51w side by side.

Using them side by side, I have noticed that, while the wide beam of the H502 is great for many things, it is not great for everything. If you don't need to use the super wide beam, much of it is just wasted. I find that my eyes are distracted with the wide beam when I try to focus on something small at arm's length.

I can't wait for the H502w though.

Jacklight

Newly Enlightened

Just a few impressions...
I received the 502D yesterday. The tint is flawless, ever so slightly warm, but nowhere near as warm as an XPG HCRI. I love the XPG HCRI by the way. The beam is flawless, and I don't have any change in tint at the edge, of course it is darker. My 502 on the other hand has a slight blue tint, and if your white wall hunting there is a slight green tinge on the very outer periphery that I would never have noticed unless someone pointed it out while I was whitewall hunting. In other words it is a complete non issue. Both lights are great, but I prefer the 502D over the 502. Tho 502D might be a little dimmer on max, but that doesn't bother me as I hardly ever use max. I don't think I'll be getting a 502C or 502W because I am totally satisfied with this. They might be better, time will tell, Sorry I don't have pics or beamshots.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few impressions...
I received the 502D yesterday. The tint is flawless, ever so slightly warm, but nowhere near as warm as an XPG HCRI. I love the XPG HCRI by the way. The beam is flawless, and I don't have any change in tint at the edge, of course it is darker. My 502 on the other hand has a slight blue tint, and if your white wall hunting there is a slight green tinge on the very outer periphery that I would never have noticed unless someone pointed it out while I was whitewall hunting. In other words it is a complete non issue. Both lights are great, but I prefer the 502D over the 502. Tho 502D might be a little dimmer on max, but that doesn't bother me as I hardly ever use max. I don't think I'll be getting a 502C or 502W because I am totally satisfied with this. They might be better, time will tell, Sorry I don't have pics or beamshots.

This is great news! The D version was the only once I was interested in and I think I'm sold! Thanks.

-Alex

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
H501w vs. H502c

H501w on left, H502c on right. Trying to get relatively equivalent brightness levels so we can better compare tints. These photos are not for judging relative brightness.

H501w-H502c-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
H50 vs H502c

Hi Floppy, sadly I don't own an H51, but I am currently accepting donations. In lieu of that, I have other comparisons coming up. Note that on all I'm trying to match brightness level so that tints can be better compared. Again, camera set to daylight color balance.

Here's H50 vs H502c, for you history buffs...the H502c was throttled back to a mid level to better match the H50's high...we've come a long ways, haven't we?

H50-H502c.jpg

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: H50 vs H502c

Bolster: Distance from garage doors? I'm guessing about two feet...(?)

Actual color of garage doors? White? Or sort of tan?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and for you High CRI Quark fanciers... (The Quark Mini AA Hi-CRI has diffusion material on the lens, because we likes floody beams...)

QuarkHiCRI-H502c.jpg

Interior of garage door: WHITE. Distance from door...checking... 17 inches.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spark SD52 Neutral White vs. H502c

SD52-H501c.jpg

First impressions:

- As you can see I own other 120 degree lights, so the wide field of view doesn't come as a surprise, but it's very pleasant to have light everywhere the eye can see.

- The 2AA SD52 and the 1AA H502c on high are close to the same brightness!

- The midrange 36 and 62 levels are where the gold's located, IMO. Decent runtimes (7.5h and 3.3h, respectively). Good long worktime with plenty of illumination for handwork. Much appreciated.

- Doubt I'll use the 142 high except to blind myself when turning it on. Many times I've used the press-and-hold to get to low, I apparently release a fraction of a second too soon and blast myself accidentally.

- Went for a walk with the H502c. Not a walking light IMO; prefer a narrower angle for that. However the bugs liked it. Very nice for examining flowers up close with the high CRI. Haven't gotten a chance to do a good comparison on the CRI yet but would like to, maybe tomorrow. Need to find some appropriately colored objects.

- The lows are a-ma-zing. So much flexibility on the low end and they're really, really dim! Looking forward to trying them out with fully dark adapted eyes.

- Battery check works as promised, very nice feature. Four flashies for a fresh Eneloop.

- The interface hides all of the nonsense. Not bothered by any strobes. Very nice UI. Also I'm getting used to the light remembering which level of L, M, or H I was in last. I'm often uncertain if I have a low or high version of the level I'm in, and must switch back and forth to orient myself. I might prefer a "no memory" feature, but can't tell yet.

- Did they redesign the cradle? Headband feels comfortable.

- I like the tint. Sort of in the sepia direction, which suits me. It's nearly indistinguishable from the H501w's tint. I take psychological comfort in the warmer tints. When working in spooky crawl spaces the warmer colors are more cheerful. Clearly the SD52 replicates a neutral tint better, but when the chips are down and I'm stuck in a tight spot, I like the reassuring smile of a warm light.

- Do I prefer the H502c to the H501w? Hmm. Hmm. I like them both. The more reasonable midlevels are a big advantage of the H502c, (the H501w made you choose between 15 and 80 lumens!) but the runtimes show no particular advantage. But -- let me answer this question after I put the high-CRI to the test. At this point I hardly feel my H501w's obsoleted. Whereas the H50 is totally obsoleted.

Last edited: