Zebralight H600Fc Mk IV - First Impressions

Mr. LED

Mark, can you please post a pic for us, showing what is this “routing the strap”? My next zebra is H600w IV, just waiting to come back in stock.
Thanks.

markr6

Mark, can you please post a pic for us, showing what is this “routing the strap”? My next zebra is H600w IV, just waiting to come back in stock.
Thanks.

I've always meant to get a pic after all these years but keep forgetting. I'll try to remember today.

But to describe it, you take the lamp out, run the strap thru a slot from the bottom, then thru the round hole then thru the other round hole, then out the other slot. It seems strange but once you do this and reinsert the lamp, it holds the lamp a little tighter (good for running/biking) and also eliminates any pressure on your head since it's just a smooth piece of rubber touching your forehead and nothing else. As it comes out of the box, there's a bit of pressure on each end where the strap runs thru the slots. It didn't bother me too much, but it was certainly something I wanted to fix.

SHL

You told it everywhere. But what you want to say?
That mk4 have no issues? It have. ZL reply
“1) We are aware of the high current through the spring, and that’s the exactly why we switched to multiple pins in our flashlight products. High output headlamp models will move to the pin design in the future. Different spring materials or bypass won’t help much because some of our customers will still insist on using their low quality high resistance protected batteries.
2) We are aware of the ringing/oscillating in the Mk 4 18650 lights. We’ll try to fine tune the PID parameters (and possibly setting up a new calibration process) in future. “

Yes those issues usually have small effect on users.
But it must be fixed, isn't it?

Hi CPF, my first post here...

I have been looking for a good headlamp for some time now and it seems like the ZL H600Fc Mk IV comes the closest to fitting my requirements. So much so, that I ordered one from ZL yesterday, even with the issues mentioned in here, with the oscillating PID and the tailcap.

Nevertheless, I wonder if any of you know if any of these two issues have been solved or improved in current production models?

Thanks in advance.

mobi

Welcome to CPF.

Using an H600Fd Mk IV here. The issues you asked about apply to the "d" as well as "c". I'm writing about a related issue that deals with current flow for the lowest levels.

When the light arrives, it acted erratically. I cleaned the tailcap spring assembly. Apparently some silicone liberally applied to the screw threads of the light had gotten onto the part of the spring that makes electrical contact with the body.

That helped. Still, there was a persistent, intermittent problem with the lower lamp light levels. I attribute this to a cold battery, since in the winter I use the light in a cold environment. What led me to this tentative conclusion is that when I heated up the battery by turning the light on high for a while, then the problems cleared up.

In any case, Zebralight recommends on its website using their ZL battery, and I have four of their 18650's; yet apparently their batteries are part of the problem.

I am a fan of Zebralights. They are the lights I use almost exclusively. ZL is always pushing the envelope to develop better lights. This H600Fd has color popping CRI which makes any shortcomings neglible.

If I need to get new batteries to take advantage of new advancements, so be it. But for now, I'm managing fine with just the ZL batteries.

Edit: Zebralight does not outright recommend using the ZL635 battery. However, the ZL635 is used as the battery they insert into the H600Fd to determine its actual weight with a battery. I take that as an endorsement of sorts. That being said, according to the communication from ZL quoted in the comment above, protected batteries like the ZL635 are considered suspect because of their added resistance. Or perhaps ZL was only referring to inferior protected batteries.

Last edited:

TA_ls1

Hi all,

I am looking at the H600Fc, but does anyone know if Zebralight has addressed/fixed the oscillating PID and the issue with the spring in the tailcap mentioned in this thread?

mobi

Hi all,

I am looking at the H600Fc, but does anyone know if Zebralight has addressed/fixed the oscillating PID and the issue with the spring in the tailcap mentioned in this thread?

I wrote the post above referencing the spring in the cap over two years ago. I've been using the H600Fd Mk IV daily since then, hours a day. I have not encountered any issue with the spring in that time span.

Last edited:

Gemster

I recently got the H600Fd Mk IV after a bit of a backorder wait and so far I'm not favorably impressed. My light dims itself down significantly from high after 25 minutes from a fully charged battery. It doesn't like to operate on high when the battery is under 4 volts and dims almost immediately. I have a previous model in the series and it doesn't present with that issue so I wonder if the higher output is a setback. Coorespondances with the manufacturer seems to circle back to "cool it down" but if that is a requirement of use then it's not a useful tool to me. Sending it back for diagnosis.

Last edited: