Zebralight H600w MK III

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing, MNDan, inflated specs are EVERYWHERE! Beware!

MNDan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Is this just the nature of the new XHP35 due to the current draw? My MkII has no problem running close to the 90 mins advertised at the highest setting (1020 lumens) while mountain biking in cooler weather. Or maybe the output decreases and I just don't notice it? I thought the dream of the PID was that it provided 100% of the power it was asked for until the battery couldn't output it anymore? I'm learning... :)

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Is this just the nature of the new XHP35 due to the current draw? My MkII has no problem running close to the 90 mins advertised at the highest setting (1020 lumens) while mountain biking in cooler weather. Or maybe the output decreases and I just don't notice it? I thought the dream of the PID was that it provided 100% of the power it was asked for until the battery couldn't output it anymore? I'm learning... :)

I see the PID rated runtime is around 2 hours for the MK 2 models, but close to 90 min is still impressive.
You probably didn't notice the drop in output though.
If you really want to test it, put the light in the freezer or even a large enough bucket of cold water (I've done that) and see how long it can run at full output. The cold surrounding temperature should prevent the PID from kicking in and reducing output.

The PID maximizes output as limited by the light temperature, which is governed by ambient conditions.

Boosting circuit is the one squeezing as much out of the cell as possible to continue feeding the light.

Kraken

Newly Enlightened
I do have several batteries I can try. I'm currently traveling and will have to wait until this weekend.

I got home last night, pulled another Nitecore 18650 from a different light, charged it and tested it in my ZL H600 MK III with the similar result. Only this time the light switched off with ~6 min of H1 run time. It would not switch back on unless I unscrewed the battery cap. I have to conclude there's something wrong with the light.

Umbrosoccer

Newly Enlightened
I got home last night, pulled another Nitecore 18650 from a different light, charged it and tested it in my ZL H600 MK III with the similar result. Only this time the light switched off with ~6 min of H1 run time. It would not switch back on unless I unscrewed the battery cap. I have to conclude there's something wrong with the light.
There is something wrong with my light as well. On L1 it flickers as if there is pwm. This is the only mode that I can see flickering. I am going to have to send it back.

swan

Banned

Your Nitecore batteries seem have high internal resistance are not up to the job, why dont you purchase a sanyo 18650 ga cell to prove it before you go through the prolonged and tedious task of a return.

I had the same problem with some mildy used pansonic ncr18650 b protected cells[ which your nitecore cells are].
I dont know your charging methods how old your cells are or their internal resistance condition but mine started to trip in h1 with my mark 11 SC600 1100 lumen model.
When they were new they never tripped.

I would run the ncr 18650 GA or equivalent in the mk111 because of higher current delivery so in one year from now even with resistance build up it will not fail in turbo like what is happening now.

drummer132132

Enlightened
When I first bought my H600w Mk III hi there used to be a description in red on zebralights webpage for the mk iii hi stating you need a high drain battery of 10A or more. I just bought the one zebralight sold and have had no problems. I also set the PID to activate earlier by lowering the temp the light could get to for pid to activate.

Kraken

Newly Enlightened
Your Nitecore batteries seem have high internal resistance are not up to the job, why dont you purchase a sanyo 18650 ga cell to prove it before you go through the prolonged and tedious task of a return.

I had the same problem with some mildy used pansonic ncr18650 b protected cells[ which your nitecore cells are].
I dont know your charging methods how old your cells are or their internal resistance condition but mine started to trip in h1 with my mark 11 SC600 1100 lumen model.
When they were new they never tripped.

I would run the ncr 18650 GA or equivalent in the mk111 because of higher current delivery so in one year from now even with resistance build up it will not fail in turbo like what is happening now.

Already boxed up with a shipping label ready to be returned (at no additional cost), so not a prolonged process at all. Buying yet another costly 18650 battery to "test" seems (to me) a tedious task, but I do appreciate the suggestion. My stock of batteries may not play well with the ZL H600, but I'm not sure if that's an indictment on the batteries or the light....I'm using these batteries in a TK 75, P12 and S2 Baton - no issues in those lights. So I have to conclude that the H600 I had was either defective or it's finicky with the batteries. In either case I'm not interested in keeping it around.

Umbrosoccer

Newly Enlightened
So i have a short update. Returned my MK III for another one and tried the L1 and it still flickers on L1. I checked the tail contacts and spring. Not sure if these models should flicker slightly on L1.

Minimoog

Enlightened
My H600Fw III arrived yesterday and today on its first outing it was spot on for signalling to and helping an ambulance crew in a dark street attending to and examining a collapsed lady. The beam on H1 was used while they checked on the patient. Having the soft high CRI beam was perfect for the occasion and so it will be coming out with me as a regular in the future. Thanks Zebralight.