Zebralight moving production from China to Dallas?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to point out that it is a Foreign Trade Zone, which is NOT inside US Customs jurisdiction.

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like good news for everyone. as long as prices don't skyrocket.
Edit:
[h=4]Foreign Trade Zone 39[/h]Foreign Trade Zone No. 39 encompasses approximately 2,500 acres at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, including a 621-acre business park. Foreign trade zone designation allows companies to defer, reduce or eliminate U.S. Customs duties and reduce inventory and distribution costs.
The City of Irving offers additional benefits for new, expanding and relocating businesses that are within both FTZ 39 and the Irving city limits.
:thinking: sounds better

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go in and out all the time, businesses have to survive best they can nowadays.

markr6

Flashaholic
We'll move to a new location in Las Colinas next week. The new manufacturing facility will house cutting edge 5-axis machining centers, robots, etc., and above all, a manufacturing system based on a concept we believe that's move advanced than today's robot cells or FMS.

3 years later and I'm not sure if this happened. I've heard both yes and no depending on who I ask. Just curious :)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If ZL is manufacturing in USA then I'll definitely pick up some of those USA-manufactured models ...

I stopped purchasing from ZL after my sample size of one (a ZL H501) started malfunctioning with flickering issues on High. I want another 1xAA headlamp but just didnt trust the QC. If that will improve as result of manufacturing location, then I'll vote for a ZL headlight with my dollar$.
+1

I never did try a ZL due to all the poor QC I read about. I constantly hear about failures on this site alone. Hopefully their reliability will improve with the move as well.

Edit: I just saw how old this thread is. Apparently they did not improve.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

I never did try a ZL due to all the poor QC I read about. I constantly hear about failures on this site alone. Hopefully their reliability will improve with the move as well.

Edit: I just saw how old this thread is. Apparently they did not improve.

There's way less complaints than there was about them a couple of years ago. So, they seem to have improved. I have no idea if that was the result of a move, but I rather doubt it. I think they're just maturing as a company, and focusing more on quality and inventory. Location has nothing to do with that.

On a side note, I don't think there's a single company that isn't complained about on these boards. Nobody's perfect. I judge it by the ratio of whiners to fanboys. That takes care of the noise simply because of volume. Because of the massive amount of HDS fanboys, I'd have to say they're the best quality. (Not necessarily the best value, of course, due to high price.)

mega_lumens

Enlightened
+1
I constantly hear about failures on this site alone. Hopefully their reliability will improve with the move as well. Edit: I just saw how old this thread is. Apparently they did not improve.
Can you point out the constant topics you hear about ZL failures still? This thread is from 2012. ZL has been improving its models and pushing model upgrades annually. I remember the time when Fenix came aboard and CPFers were badgering its quality issues and how it's Chinese so your life can't depend on it. Today Fenix has established itself as a quality product that's also reasonably priced. ZL is no different today. I think their recent models have greatly improved in quality and the fact that they keep releasing new upgraded models annually, the company is doing something right to have returning customers.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3 ZLs I bought a year or two ago have top notch QC, beautiful machining, buttery soft threads, and have never hiccuped even once.

If this is "poor QC," then I need to find out these "good QC" brand lights the ZL haters keep mentioning. I see no reason to bash ZL at this time?

Am I missing something?

uofaengr

Enlightened
The 2 ZLs I've bought this year are on par with my Surefires quality wise. Don't care where they came from.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Armyteks are from China and they are rock solid. I don't care if it's made in China, as long as it's made in the GOOD places... not the Ultrafire plant. :)

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just jumping on the Zebralight love train! I've got three of their lights, one of which has been my daily edc since last November and taken quite a beating in that time without ever missing a beat. Every one of mine are rock-solid lights.

Of course, I realize my three lights are a really small sample size...

markr6

Flashaholic
Of course, I realize my three lights are a really small sample size...

I have 7 right now, but over the course of 3 years or so I had at least 12. Some duplicates, some just to try and resell. I don't recall a single problem other than a tint issue (green, yellow, weird artifact). And I don't think I was just being picky. Either way, I still feel lucky. After all the negative feedback on this forum, you would think their lights are junk. But I just haven't seen any first-hand evidence of this. I hope I never do!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Zebralights get smaller while Surefires get larger. I mean the eb1 is huge. I don't understand why Surefire doesn't make any small lights CR123A lights any more. The e1e is the perfect size.

wolfey

Newly Enlightened
Haven't had any issues with my zebralights either. I've drop experience them on concrete multiple times on accident of course and they still work awesome.

Imon

Enlightened
If ZL moved their production here that would be interesting. I know they already ship from a warehouse in Irving.

I EDC a HDS Clicky but my go-to headlight is still the H600.
I live in the DFW Metroplex so everytime I order from ZL I get my item within two days. :D
Once I ordered a light early in the morning and it arrived the next day without me having to pay for one day shipping, lol.

JimTokle

Newly Enlightened
If ZL moved their production here that would be interesting. I know they already ship from a warehouse in Irving.

I EDC a HDS Clicky but my go-to headlight is still the H600.
I live in the DFW Metroplex so everytime I order from ZL I get my item within two days. :D
Once I ordered a light early in the morning and it arrived the next day without me having to pay for one day shipping, lol.

I also live in the DFW area, and that's why I've never ordered directly from ZL. Sales tax + no discount code = no sale. I order my ZLs from E2 Field Gear and usually get them in two days anyways with their free shipping. And they have discount codes.

markr6

Flashaholic
I order my ZLs from E2 Field Gear and usually get them in two days anyways with their free shipping.

I once drove 10 minutes down the road and picked one up directly from E2...after testing the tint in person!