Zebralight - Newer doesn't mean better

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's odd... the F model didn't give you a large enough usable area? I sewed a patch on my son's tae kwon do uniform a couple of weeks ago and used my H51w the whole time... I've got a circle of DC-fix on it that spreads the hotspot nicely and I had plenty of area from the diffused hotspot. Maybe the diffusion material in the F model has different characteristics than DC-fix does.
Well I tried sewing with the Medium-lower mode 19.6 lumen and encounter my 'problem'. But I 'compensated' with the 35 lumen mode [Medium-upper], but center hotspot intensity was a bit much. [jack of all, master of none?]
Zebralight isn't wrong when they say 90 degree, but when you are holding the item you are sewing [repairing] only 6" from your head, the peripheral vision near the very edge isn't that bright. [the pwm wasn't an issue]
So a change to the xm-l will defocus the beam pattern, reducing center peak intensity.], but would that be redundant with the etched lens?
or whatever became of the xp-e HEW?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you ZebraLight for the great updates and all the questions answered, you've really gone above what I would expect given the competative nature of the industry. You are definetly one of the top manufacturers now. Loving my SC60w for EDC, and for a week or so now NO accidental activations when carried in my cargo pocket without lockout. I was even moving some furnature which is the type of activity known to do such things as you squeeze around desks and what not... just a few more weeks before I declare the accidental activations a non-issue for me.

While different, I've adapted to your UI over my prefered HDS design to get the Light and power source I wanted. Your UI is definetly a really good implementation. All your lights are great, really looking forward to the SC600 for pocket power, and the H502 as I agree your early flood headlamps were/are extra special. I'm even going to buy the SC600 before you have it in warm-tint, something I don't often do any more.

It appears my SC51c will arrive before the end of the week and I am super excited to compare it to my McGizmo Sundrop. Looks like you were able to let a few out in the wild before the big production run. That's really great as high CRI lights are on the top of my list. However they have been there for a couple of year since I started getting warm and neutral tints amd then my Sundrop; they just were not easy to come buy.

Yes definetly stay picky on your LEDs.... I love it... I love that I can trust your judgements. You have a Great Team!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thrilled ZL's tradition of the wide floody beam in the H50 and H501 is being continued and updated into the more efficient package of the H502.

I was worried that ZL was putting all its efforts into the "diffuse spot" or "directed flood" beams like the H51, and that the H501 was the end of the line...but clearly the flood will continue.

Long live the flood.

An in-depth discussion (and lots of speculation) about the H502 (and H302) is taking place in the headlamp subforum, all are welcome.

Last edited:

zonda4life

Newly Enlightened
Will the t5 and t3 both be 3.7 inches as indicated on that spreadsheet? I'm considering waiting for one of these lights instead of purchasing a neutron but I was hoping they would be more compact, especially the cr123 model.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H502, along with T5 (a new 1AA model, tail clicky, to be manufactured in the U.S.), will use a more powerfull AND efficient 1AA circuit than the 51 circuit.

Well that's cool news, can you say why they will be made in U.S. and will they be made there in Irving TX.? It's usually just the opposite and something I'm not use to hearing. Thanks for talking with us here on CPF, it seems recently I have seen less manufacturers communicating with us here with the dealers taking on most questions the best they can.

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
First of all Thank you ZebraLight for being so responsive on the forums, I've just more or less dealt with ThruNite's Lack of English and it drove up my amps.

You've been very clear with everything and its fantastic.

I really cant wait for the H502, Im itching allready for the Nw.

And on the Neutral White note: THANK YOU for staying selective on your Tint choice I +1 what the other user had said about 4sevens. I like the lights but also have been unhappy about their random tint bins.
I currently own the SC60w as my first ZL and definatly not my last, this is the light that converted me to Neutral emitters and High CRI's ONLY!

Another thing which im sure attracted most of your customers is that you keep the light super small relative to most manufactures in comparison to the batteries they take. Truly a EDC able light.

PayBack

Enlightened
If someone is going to shoot down my post, they should have the balls to do it in public. Especially when they get it wrong. I've moved my private post here....

Posted private message deleted. Against CPF Rule 12, posting private messages. That's why they are called "private". Comments re private message also removed

Last edited by a moderator:

e1sbaer

Newly Enlightened
I think a very common opinion is that people like the even circle of light from the H501.

Do you plan on ever making any light with this type of beam again?
Agreed. I use the h501w on a daily basis as a reading light (medium mode). Would love to have a succeeder with the same beam.

mparker

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the led flashlight scene, and having purchased my first light (LD20 R5) I have the bug...

Anyhow a few things that strike me as odd and I am sure its only my "newbieness".

The SC50c vs SC50w

The SC50c - Lower total lumens, no Li ion, higher price...

Ive been saving pennies for a ZL, these are just a few things I noticed...

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, seems crazy, eh? More money, less output? That "c" might as well stand for "coveted" - a lot of the serious light fanatics on this site are eagerly awaiting this light. The c indicates the emitter in the SC50c has a a high CRI (color rendering index), which should make its illumination seem more balanced and closer to natural lighting sources. There's a lot more to it than that, of course, but that's the gist. For comparison, many cheaper lights use LEDs that have a distinct blue cast, and do a poor job of showing nuances of some colors.

Ted

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no such thing as a SC50c, it is a SC51c.

The SC50* uses a less advanced circuit and emitter compared to the SC51*, hence the price differnce and why the SC50* is on closeout.

PayBack

Enlightened
Posted private message deleted. Against CPF Rule 12, posting private messages. That's why they are called "private". Comments re private message also removed

Sorry Bullzeyebill. I just didn't consider condecending comments about my public post very "private". Though I guess I also a refresher on the rules ( I did read them when I joined years ago, honest :whistle:)

From the replies here (ZL listening to the customers) it shows giving feedback isn't a complete waste of time, so we shouldn't be shot down for it in private.

Last edited: