Zebralight quality has been a big disappointment

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
yes we know they leak, in my experience about 1-2%, but it still is not an explanation why every cell, in every AA ZL op has had cells leaks, and none other AA lights that used same cells had them leak. since he has several lights, and seems like this phenomenon happened over period of time it is pretty safe to assume OP did not use same batch cells for all his ZL lights. it is also interesting that no other AA ZL owners reported same experience. it seems to be unique to the op. i wonder what temp he stores them at, and what elevation he lives at.

Your odds are a lot lower than what I've experienced. I've has probably 15-30% leak on me typically I rarely am able to use up a cell without it leaking before it is depleted. I'm not totally surprised he has had cells leak on the light as I've heard that the ZL AA lights push AA batteries to the limit with the most output there is which means it has the highest current draw imaginable which would heat up and stress an alkaline battery big time. It may be his light has exceptionally high output above the norm and pulls even more current than normal for these lights.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your odds are a lot lower than what I've experienced. I've has probably 15-30% leak on me typically I rarely am able to use up a cell without it leaking before it is depleted. I'm not totally surprised he has had cells leak on the light as I've heard that the ZL AA lights push AA batteries to the limit with the most output there is which means it has the highest current draw imaginable which would heat up and stress an alkaline battery big time. It may be his light has exceptionally high output above the norm and pulls even more current than normal for these lights.

Maybe but I usually run mine down pretty well on High all the time and so far as long as I remove them at that point I am OK.

I sure used mine down in OKC 2 Mondays ago when you sent that storm down there to terrorize me in the dark!
It was good for 2 trips down 6 flights of Hotel Stairs and back for a few hours waiting for the end to come.
I thought I had been in some bad blows before but holy cow the OK. weather is just CRAZY!

I of course had more lights than I needed for the storm but is was sure not as much fun as I thought it might be either? Who builds a brand new Hotel down there with no Basement?!:thinking:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Maybe but I usually run mine down pretty well on High all the time and so far as long as I remove them at that point I am OK.

I sure used mine down in OKC 2 Mondays ago when you sent that storm down there to terrorize me in the dark!
It was good for 2 trips down 6 flights of Hotel Stairs and back for a few hours waiting for the end to come.
I thought I had been in some bad blows before but holy cow the OK. weather is just CRAZY!

I of course had more lights than I needed for the storm but is was sure not as much fun as I thought it might be either? Who builds a brand new Hotel down there with no Basement?!:thinking:

I didn't send any storms down the turnpike to OKC from here :D This is Oklahoma and we get a wide variety of weather everything except hurricanes and we have them in Tulsa too (T.U.).

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
do not think anyone here uses those, when i buy something and it comes with carbon zink cells , first thing i do is throw them away.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
heavy duty batteries are really only useful for throwaway and low drain devices as they can't hold up under load as good as alkalines and have about 1/2 the capacity under light loads and 1/4 to 1/3 under heavier loads. In other words for regular use heavy duty isn't going to save you money and also if they leak it is WORSE than alkaline leaks.

rjhooper

Newly Enlightened
Northern California hidden deep in a bunke
:popcorn:...
do not think anyone here uses those, when i buy something and it comes with carbon zink cells , first thing i do is throw them away.
:crackup:
HaHaH, now that's funny... (smart)
op, are you still here?
so for long-term use, only use Lithium? Am I understanding the situation correctly?
... my 2 'cent says op used that l-ion cell incorrectly too :poof::shakehead

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use carbon zinc in vintage lights. I mean pre-alkaline vintage, not 2003 vintage. And low drain lights such as the store bought 25 lumen numbers designed to run 25 hours on a double a. No problem. Store them battery still inside in my car? Nada.

Would I use one in a ZL? No way. That's asking for trouble like driving over broken bottles and wondering why the tire went flat.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
So in the original post bkpdle states that only his Zebralight lights experience leaking AA Duracell batteries and his Malkoff lights do not with the same batteries presumably from the same bundle. What type of on off switch does the Malkoff have ? Is a mechanical disconnect from the batteries or is it an electronic disconnect with a parasitic drain like the Zebralight would have ?

Even though the Zebralight has a small parasitic drain it might make a difference
Either way alkaline batteries are a gamble to use and not a preferred choice.

Enlightened
Pretty much exactly what I am saying except that I consider the use of Alkalines a feature and not something to fear. I am aware of the way they work and they work better for me than most others and I get tired of most here suggesting otherwise. I do not let them sit in a light unused either. As with most things tech. YMMV And the O. P. told us that he uses Duracell. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alkaleaks can leak at any time regardless of how careful you may be. After all, you have no idea how long it was stored in a warehouse with no climate control before it reached the store then your light.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the past many years there have been complains on this forum about ZL. I had almost ten of their lights never had any issues. They are top notch.
I do not believe at all what is being typed. Not only that but the stories and twist and turns. The most fantasy broken flashlight and most bizarre happening. No way is true.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the past many years there have been complains on this forum about ZL. I had almost ten of their lights never had any issues. They are top notch.
I do not believe at all what is being typed. Not only that but the stories and twist and turns. The most fantasy broken flashlight and most bizarre happening. No way is true.

The same here. I have totally 11 Zebralights: 6 flashlights and 5 headlamps. No issue with any of them so far.

Climb14er

Enlightened
All three of my ZL's going back to the first gen SC600 have been performing perfectly, including the AA SC52cw. In the latter, I run 14500's and Eneloops and keep the Duracells to be used on the road if necessary. The SC52 is a great light as is also the SC62 where I run unprotected 18650's. I rotate between the 52 and 62 for EDC. The 600 is reserved for the house where I run protected 18650's. Though I have other lights, the ZL's are by a very wide margin, my favorites based on their reliability and performance.

911blackadder

Newly Enlightened
ZL is quite high drain flashlight, Alkaline will ruined it.
I hate Alkaline batteries as I remember as long as I love flashlight.