Zebralight SC30 & H31w (1xCR123A/RCR XP-E) Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Tazzdad

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC30 & H31w (1xCR123A/RCR XP-E) Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more

Just updated the review with some experiences on using the headlight H31w version. Fortunately, I'm in the middle of doing renovations on my home, so it has provided a good opportunity for some field-testing. ;)

Frankly, the H31w worked better than I expected. As mentioned in my review, my favorite headlamp is my old 3xAAA Petzl Tikka XP (that I long-ago modded from a Luxeon 3 to an SSC P4). I like this light because its optic produces a very smooth and wide hotspot with the modded SSC (slightly wider than the H31), and it has built-in diffuser covers that you can slide over for full flood (for up-close work).

Of course, the H31 is much brighter on Hi - but most of the time, I prefer to use H31's Med modes anyway. And though I had to give up the full flood feature, I found the H31's hotspot to be wide enough that it wasn't a problem working with it. The headband held the light securely - both light-to-headband, and headband-to-head (the latter is adjustable). The headband holder holds the light securely, but you can still easily rotate it for an optimum angle. I didn't experience any of the "slippage" that was common on the original H50 model. I also find the button easier to access and use than my Petzl. But we'll see how I manage without the diffuser covers … :whistle:

Very thorough review!

I've been considering purchasing the H51Fw. I thought the flood version might be preferable for a headlamp, especially if I have another light with me for distance. It sounds as though you find the hotspot large and smooth enough that you don't feel the need for the frosted diffuser. I don't want to put words into your mouth, but does that sound about right?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Zebralight SC30 & H31w (1xCR123A/RCR XP-E) Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more

It sounds as though you find the hotspot large and smooth enough that you don't feel the need for the frosted diffuser. I don't want to put words into your mouth, but does that sound about right?
That's a fair assessment of my experience. I haven't tested the newer XP-G lights, but suspect they would be floodier, and well suited for close-up work.