Zebralight sc30 sent back to factory for repair. $15.00

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight sc30 sent back to factory for repair recently(end of 2018). $15.00 (They cashed the check)

Light worked for only around a year when I got it new. Upgraded to the SC31 when it malfunctioned.

Wonder if they will fix the SC30? It's a classic for sure!

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I would have thought yes, i sent a mk1 headlamp back a while ago(few months). Sent Texas, then they sent China:ohgeez:Not sure on total time, they actually repaired for free due to the inconvenience and it having been repaired previously. Not sure total time, maybe 5-6weeks+, cant remember as i kind of put to back of mind at the time. They came through, also sent a clip/headband for free. So its certainly worth contacting them via the zebralight site.

Good luck

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when the original SC600 came out, I received one with a defective switch.

This was a common defect in their first run preorders for that light. Sometimes the switch would turn on if you just brushed the switch with a finger without depressing it at all.

I returned the light to China for warranty service. I received it back after 2-3 months fixed and it has worked fine ever since.

holygeez03

Enlightened
They will probably get it working since it's not something with parts that go completely obsolete... Wouldn't be too surprised if they sent a newer model replacement.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sent them my SC600Fd III Plus for replacement of a cracked lens. This actually happened back in 2017. But the light somehow disappeared shortly afterwards. I found it again just a few weeks back, and sent it out on Wednesday.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will probably get it working since it's not something with parts that go completely obsolete... Wouldn't be too surprised if they sent a newer model replacement.

Ah, I should have added a note to send the old light back fixed or unfixed if they replace it with a newer model. I have the newer models already and there is much to love on these old models you can't get or rarely see anymore...

The switches are firm with no slack in the old models and they work perfect for edc and around the house small lights. Beams are great when you don't need 1000 lumens and tiny size 16340 is perfect to forget your even carrying a light!

Still waiting for return :candle:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had an accident with my beloved SC62d(one of 4 Zebras I love). It hit the concrete harder than I did and trashed the driver(my main modes are either low-low with a quick blink then high or invisible-low-high). I say invisible because it draws current on L-1 without any lighting of the led, or if I try to change the programming it goes back to low-low with a quick blink-high. Unable to change levels beyond the options above. No change with multiple freshly charged batteries. I am writing this to add my experience to the OP. I emailed Zebralight and in 48 hours they responded with an RMA number and the comment they will try to fix ANY Zebralight for a total cost of $15 which includes postage. I have only interacted with their customer service once before, but I must say they are fast, fair & professional.

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Lips, you can still contact them through their site. Just message them and let them know.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Their warranty is another reason I steer clear of this company. That and 50% of the lights I've bought from them have been dead on arrival. Granted, I've only purchased two lol. But still, no thank you.

holygeez03

Enlightened
1 out of 2 may be 50%... but it's also still 1 unit.

What happened with the 1 dead unit? Did ZL replace it with a working unit? If so, what else could you ask for?

Lumen83

Enlightened
1 out of 2 may be 50%... but it's also still 1 unit.[/QUOTE]

True. But, It was a headlamp I was looking to use for search and rescue. Much of that being done in high elevation in very treacherous weather. I don't know what was wrong with it but I did not want to add something to my kit from this manufacturer after that.

What happened with the 1 dead unit? Did ZL replace it with a working unit? ?

I returned it for a refund. They did offer to replace it. But, I did not have a good experience with customer service, and when I read that their warranty only covers their products for 1 year that was the final red flag for me. I will not be purchasing any more lights from them.

If so, what else could you ask for

A lifetime warranty, better customer service, and a more reliable product.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!
1 out of 2 may be 50%... but it's also still 1 unit.

True. But, It was a headlamp I was looking to use for search and rescue. Much of that being done in high elevation in very treacherous weather. I don't know what was wrong with it but I did not want to add something to my kit from this manufacturer after that.

I returned it for a refund. They did offer to replace it. But, I did not have a good experience with customer service, and when I read that their warranty only covers their products for 1 year that was the final red flag for me. I will not be purchasing any more lights from them.

A lifetime warranty, better customer service, and a more reliable product.[/QUOTE]

holygeez03

Enlightened
Critical search and rescue mentions likely require a different class of product... for a lot more money.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two products I own with lifetime/long-term warranties... and both companies are effectively out of business.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Critical search and rescue mentions likely require a different class of product... for a lot more money.
You'd be suprised how many team members buy headlamps from Wal Mart. But, I would agree with you. Which is why I coughed up the money for a Surefire as my primary and an Olight as a backup. Redundancy is also key.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two products I own with lifetime/long-term warranties... and both companies are effectively out of business.

I believe I own somewhere around 30 flashlights from a company that provides a lifetime warranty free of charge.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how then did you end up with 2 ZL in the first place and find yourself needing to enact your Zero Tolerance Policy for DOA product?

I am also curious which ZL you were going to use for SAR work?

You'd be suprised how many team members buy headlamps from Wal Mart. But, I would agree with you. Which is why I coughed up the money for a Surefire as my primary and an Olight as a backup. Redundancy is also key.

I believe I own somewhere around 30 flashlights from a company that provides a lifetime warranty free of charge.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that you don't have to pay $15.00 for repairs when other manufacturers require you to pay $0.00 for repairs and replacements?

Paying double the reasonable price for a product, just to get a lifetime warranty, isn't very economically sound. Especially for electronics, which you'll want to upgrade in a few years anyway.

Besides, companies come and go. I've got a few 4sevens lights with nice 10 year warranties. Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Surfire might make nice products, but they're priced for military and law enforcement contracts. Government doesn't care about the price, nor the cost of disposable batteries.

Zebralight is still fairly expensive, but it's a reasonable consumer price for what you get.

Would I use a Zebra for a life & death situation? No. But I wouldn't use a Surefire, either. I'd have at least 2 lights. With a backup (or two), the difference in reliability between 99.99% and 99.999% isn't really relevant. Two lights of good quality are never going to both randomly fail at the same time.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lips, you can still contact them through their site. Just message them and let them know.

Bought that thing 03/01/2010 and the replacement SC31 04/10/2012 so it lasted 2 years. Getting old!

Took your advice and sent them a message... Checked receipt and mailed it to them 12/10/2018 so been out close to 6 weeks...

Please add to my RMA file for repair of SC30 RMA (#201838281) flashlight that I would like the old light back also if a replacement is sent as it is a collectors item to me. Thanks
-

Dealing with flashlight nuts has got to be a PITA :grin2: Always wanting something; this - that and the other...

Probably ruined 4 or 5 pairs of pants with this thing as they were cloth shredders unless you put some JB weld between fins and clip. Oh well, still want it back!

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
That’s all I did lips, sometimes get back same day, being weekend might take a few. I asked if they could swap out the LED for a NW or easywhite flavour. But all repaired and returned as was in CW. I would have happily paid extra for a more neutral beam. No biggie, gets used every night out back anyway. In fact I have just been using it to swap out some G shock batteries.