Zebralight SC50w first impressions

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you access the medium mode with the flashlight off, I fast double click. But it seems like that it first flashes high and goes to medium. It is quite annoying. I take it that this normal??? Would have been nice to be able to go to medium without going through high or low mode.

If you don't want that momentary burst on high, just click & hold & it will cycle low then medium which is less intrusive especially if you have dark adapted vision.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI is wonderful. You can effortlessly access either high or low from the start and the light has 6 levels... very nice execution of the single button interface.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, great UI! That's what we H501 owners have been saying for over a year now. I guess it's more popular now being on a flashlight.

timbo114

Enlightened
I got my SC50W from Illuminationgear.

I love everything but the clip - my personal preference would be an anno OD clip to match the body ..

Side switch is exceptional - tint is sweet - UI, fit and finish is perfect.
The only upgrade I could imagine would be a 2x14500 version. :devil:

bansuri

Enlightened
I am pleased to report that the clip finish can be converted from the mirrored finish to a brushed finish. I changed mine over today and it took all of about 10 minutes to do. I'll post pics later but I do prefer the clip not being shiny. I forget the name of the sanding block I used but this can also easily be done with a scotchbrite green pad which can be bought at your local store for a $1.
Thanks ky70, the scotchbrite worked wonderfully.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried so hard to resist...but pulled trigger today on the SC50w...can't wait to play with it! I just love my Zebralights and find that I use them more than anything except for my TiFli neck light...

Vesper

Enlightened
This has been my EDC now for about 3 weeks replacing my D10. I absolutely love this light in every way. I also have one w/ the med UI issue but couldn't care about it. Low I adjust, or I go to high when I need it. The two levels of med as mentioned aren't too different anyway.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my SC50w today... what is it about Zebralights that makes them so darn good?! :party:

Can't put it down. I just love the feel of it, the action, the beam quality and color--the whole schmear.

So I have a LOT of little lights. And this is going to become my main "at home" light now. Compared to say the EZAA of just a year or two ago... or even my beloved D10 (a very special light indeed!), this is just a thing of beauty, a work of art.

So now, I am a major Zebralight fan. I have my H501 (and H501W of course) at the ready for tasks and night missions around the house. And now my SC50w is my "action around the house" light.

Of course I have bigger guns at the ready for real BUMPS in the night (read: EagleTac M2XC4!), but this is my new little buddy.

Of course I have my TiFli around my neck at all times, for the late night creeping about... and by day I use my 4Sevens Preon as my penlight... and of course I keep my 4sevens MiNi CR2 on my keys... so I'm well illuminated...

Ah... Zebra... such great work!!

Thank you!

DeadButAlive

Newly Enlightened
I got mine today (from the "official" outlet in TX) - it was on backorder for a while and I assumed it because they were waiting on the bug-fixed versions to arrive. First thing I did was check mode memorization and I'm happy to report that it remembers mode selection in medium and low independently - no more memory bug!

In testing various batteries with the light I stumbled upon another interesting (and possibly new) behavior. When running on a 14500 battery, in high mode I get a high/higher combination instead of the high/strobe combination.

1. Turn on to high (quick single click) results in what appears to be the same high obtained with NiMH/NiZn/Alkaline.
  2. Double click in high results in a brighter "turbo" mode instead of the strobe.
  3. Turn the light off and back on and it comes back on in the lower high mode - it apparently doesn't memorize the sub-mode in high - double-click to return to "turbo" mode.
Apparently the light can tell when its running on a 3.7V LiION and adjust its behavior accordingly. It appears that on 14500 it behaves very similar to the SC30 (with the output levels in high mode reversed and without sub-mode memorization in high). Since I didn't have one of the pre-bug-fix versions I don't know if this was the way they worked before or if its new, but I don't recall it being mentioned before.

I like the way it behaves on 14500 - I can still get the extra output but I have the option to tone it down to where it normally runs and extend the runtime. Honestly I don't miss the strobe since it never gets used anyway except to amuse the kids. I think the D10 is gonna get jealous of all the pocket time this one's gonna get :thumbsup:

pae77

Enlightened
That's interesting. I have an SC50w that also does not have the memorization bug but mine operates normally on 14500's. That is, on high, it has the bright high mode and the expected slow blink sub mode.

I actually use the slow blink sub mode quite a bit when I'm crossing dark streets at night but I wouldn't mind having a few more light levels. Actually, I think it would be cool if one of the levels was a user adjustable ramping mode like the LF2XT has.

yowzer

Enlightened
I got mine today (from the "official" outlet in TX) - it was on backorder for a while and I assumed it because they were waiting on the bug-fixed versions to arrive. First thing I did was check mode memorization and I'm happy to report that it remembers mode selection in medium and low independently - no more memory bug!

In testing various batteries with the light I stumbled upon another interesting (and possibly new) behavior. When running on a 14500 battery, in high mode I get a high/higher combination instead of the high/strobe combination.

I just got one from Illumination Gear and it has the memorization bug (I assume it's taking a while for dealers to work through their old stock and get the fixed ones). Not a huge deal since I like moonlight and the default medium, but I'm jealous of the two high modes.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. Turn on to high (quick single click) results in what appears to be the same high obtained with NiMH/NiZn/Alkaline.
  2. Double click in high results in a brighter "turbo" mode instead of the strobe.
  3. Turn the light off and back on and it comes back on in the lower high mode - it apparently doesn't memorize the sub-mode in high - double-click to return to "turbo" mode.
Apparently the light can tell when its running on a 3.7V LiION and adjust its behavior accordingly. It appears that on 14500 it behaves very similar to the SC30 (with the output levels in high mode reversed and without sub-mode memorization in high). Since I didn't have one of the pre-bug-fix versions I don't know if this was the way they worked before or if its new, but I don't recall it being mentioned before.

I like the way it behaves on 14500 - I can still get the extra output but I have the option to tone it down to where it normally runs and extend the runtime. Honestly I don't miss the strobe since it never gets used anyway except to amuse the kids. I think the D10 is gonna get jealous of all the pocket time this one's gonna get :thumbsup:

Interesting post I have not considered the memory mode bug a problem for me with my SC50 and SC50w because the only mode I ever change is maybe the low mode. I find most interesting that your new SC50 has a lower high mode instead of the strobe. If I ever thought of one thing I don't like on my SC50's is the lack of two constant on high mode's as I have never used a strobe or beacon my whole flashlight life.

Maybe you didn't get a bug DeadButAlive, maybe this is what the SC50 is going to be now, maybe just the SC50w. I'm just guessing but I would like it anyway.

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
After carrying one for a few days, I'm happy to say the SC50w is pretty good at lighting up puddles of blood in a dark room.

I'm an EMT. It was work-related! :naughty:

After carrying it for a few days, I think my D10 is going back in my pocket for normal use. It's a great light in many respects, but it turns on way too easily in my pocket unless I do a tailcap lockout, which is a step to reverse when I turn it back on. That's a pain... maybe I can find a belt sheath for it.

Last edited:

pae77

Enlightened
Someone else suggested clipping it to the front belt loop of one's jeans which is how I'm now carrying it w/o having to lock it out because so far mine hasn't activated while being carried in this manner. It did activate when carried in my jeans pocket, however, unless I locked it out, which is why I'm now doing the belt loop thing.

yowzer

Enlightened
Someone else suggested clipping it to the front belt loop of one's jeans which is how I'm now carrying it w/o having to lock it out because so far mine hasn't activated while being carried in this manner. It did activate when carried in my jeans pocket, however, unless I locked it out, which is why I'm now doing the belt loop thing.

I'm trying that, but it's kind of awkward to clip and unclip the light from a beltloop, plus it seems more likely to bang into stuff than if in a holster, which provides some protection.

pae77

Enlightened
I'm trying that, but it's kind of awkward to clip and unclip the light from a beltloop, plus it seems more likely to bang into stuff than if in a holster, which provides some protection.
I suppose. I've only been doing it this way for a couple of days so far but it seems to be working out for me (assuming my belt loop holds up). But I'm not that active so perhaps less likely than some to bang into stuff.

hotlight

Enlightened
not sure if I should post this here, sorry to OP if this is off topic. this seems to be the "official sc50 thread" tho.

quick question regarding my sc50.

just got it today, and it is what I expected(for the most part).

the emitter is not centered at all, and seems tilted higher on one "corner".
is this "normal"?(or do you guys have perfectly centered emitters?)

I don't mind it too much, but I don't like it. It obviously effects the beam, probably won't matter in real world use tho.

so, keep it or exchange?

pae77

Enlightened
Are you sure it's really not centered? If it was really off center enough to affect the beam to any noticeable extent, I would seek to exchange it.

Mine seems well centered as far as I can tell. If you turn it on to the lowest low setting (which on mine is low enough that I can briefly look into the reflector while it's on), I find it easier to see whether the light emitting portion of the emitter actually is well centered or not.

Last edited:

hotlight

Enlightened
Are you sure it's really not centered? If it was really off center enough to affect the beam to any noticeable extent, I would seek to exchange it.

Mine seems well centered as far as I can tell. If you turn it on to the lowest low setting (which on mine is low enough that I can briefly look into the reflector while it's on), I find it easier to see whether the light emitting portion of the emitter actually is well centered or not.

I shouldn't say, "the emitter is not centered at all". it is "centered" in the middle, but not exactly in the middle. I can clearly see that it is off center considerably(from exactly in center) with a naked eye.

not sure if I'm going to exchange, Ill test it out tonight and make my decision....

I'm gonna assume this is the most "off" a emitter could be and still pass QC.(meaning its not extremely off, but it is definitely not "precisely placed", good enough to pass QC)

when in moon mode- still looks off center(and tilted slightly(thermal paste glob?)-it tilts toward the ground when in the natural holding position, so this could be good.

great light besides that.