Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you @chillinn , that's very kind of you to say! :wave:

Assuming that quoting from the internal Zebralight messaging thread maybe okay since the information is interesting, relevant, and important to the public, here is what was asked and answered:
customer vs. ZL Staff said:
cus > "1) does the SC52w L2 have electronic RPP? (electrical)"
zls > "1) no electrical RPP" :caution:
cus > "2) does the SC52w L2 have mechanical RPP? (physical)"
zls > "2) Yes. However some (+) contacts and/or the board may protrude more than specified during assembly." :caution:
cus > "3) which type/kind of RPP does the SC52w L2 have then?"
zls > "3) see above"
cus > "4) can/will a reversely installed fully charged Eneloop damage the circuitry?"
zls > "4) No. Again we've seen protruding contacts/boards, albeit very rare"
cus > "4*) if a user managed to establish REVERSE electrical connection with a fully charged Eneloop (e.g. via a magnet), would this eventually damage the circuitry?"
zls > "4*) yes" :caution:
cus > "5) can/will a reversely installed fully charged 14500 damage the circuitry?"
zls > "5) No. Again we've seen protruding contacts/boards, albeit very rare"
cus > "5*) if a user managed to establish REVERSE electrical connection with a fully charged 14500 (e.g. via a magnet), would this eventually damage the circuitry?"
zls > "5*) yes" :caution:
cus > "6) anything else you'd like to say about the topic?"
zls > " " (apparently not) :ironic:

The bottom line is, unless/until you have not checked/verified/confirmed that your particular production unit does not have a protruding (+)contact, you cannot be certain that your unit does not have the "unintentional" mechanical RPP. :duh2: :thinking:

:D

Last edited:

SYZYGY

Enlightened
RPP is a good thing, but how often have you put in a battery the wrong way? i don't think i ever have.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
RPP is a good thing, but how often have you put in a battery the wrong way? i don't think i ever have.
That's what I'm thinking and wanted to say, without coming off as disrespectful. This is probably the this biggest "over engineering" for an avoidable issue that I've ever seen.

In my almost 60-years on this planet, I've never ever inserted a battery incorrectly, in any device, never.

If you're really into this stuff, then great, I applaud your efforts. Your level of detail in your post tells me that you're a cautious person, that probably checks and double checks things before you proceed, so you're probably not the target individual for what you're attempting to accomplish with this.

Ar any rate, have at it, good luck and congratulations.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Climb14er

Enlightened
My SC52cw is one of the finest lights I've ever used. It runs well on 14500 Sanyos, Eneloops, Duracells, Energizer Lithium, and any other AA Alkaline I throw in it. The ideal survival, travel and EDC.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've spent more time messing around with my SC52w since seeing this thread the other day than I had in the last 6 or 7 years put together. I programmed the brightness levels for H2/M2/L2 back then, and never touched them again. I'd never even tried the battery indicator before. Now I've cleaned all the contacts, used it on my job, changed L2 and H2 to better suit my current uses, and even played with the strobe mode a little. It's kinda like having a new flashlight.
Aside from mine having a bit of a dingy tint that's less pleasing than my H52Fw and Malkoff neutrals in side-by-side comparison, there's just nothing to complain about. Still a great little light:thumbsup:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
that probably checks and double checks things before you proceed, so you're probably not the target individual for what you're attempting to accomplish with this
hmmm.. isn't the opposite the case?:thinking:

my last week's frenzy where i started adding insulating spacers to Smini, H1 Nova, HM61R, SC52wl2, and S1A was triggered by my Smini wrong battery insertion incident. yes i try to check before inserting batteries but accidents happen when you're in a hurry, stressed out or tired (mind is absent), lighting isn't there, feel lazy in the moment, have poor vision, etc.

I also had my late neighbor's SC52cw in mind. He respected his tools and their limitations. A smart old hobbyist, passionate about electronics, repairs, clocks, watches, radios, motorbikes, deceased a few weeks ago RIP. I had told him that the light didn't have RPP of any kind (and he was shook), so he knew and respected. Whenever i visited him, i saw the light (in top condition) lying around elsewhere. He used and cherished the gift, as he told me back. Now his relatives wouldn't know that such a top quality light could be easily damaged by wrong insertion of his Eneloop AA. It is not obvious to every ma and mom how to install an AA battery correctly. If i had an unmodded SC52, i wouldn't lend it to any Mrs Ingnoramus and trust that she would get my instructions right, every time she had to exchange the battery.

Having physical RPP gives me piece of mind. No more trust needed, no more fear in my accidental mistakes or other's.

Anyone who double checks doesn't need this mod. Apparently i am not the one who double checks. I am the lazy kresil. Don't want to double check, don't want to worry about correctness of insertion, wanna be mindless when handling or lending the SC52 hehe.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aside from mine having a bit of a dingy tint that's less pleasing than my H52Fw and Malkoff neutrals in side-by-side comparison, there's just nothing to complain about. Still a great little light:thumbsup:

Yeah, I think the SC52w was my first neutral-white LED light (or close to it), which I bought over 6 years ago. The tint looked great back then, but in comparison to the neutral white tints today, it definitely seems a little "low CRI" and slightly greenish. Still a great light, though. I'm still using mine.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
and slightly greenish.
back then i was fortunate to get my hands on various units of the sc52wl2, from US sellers, DE sellers, NL sellers. most of the units tended towards the greenish side of an XM-L2 nw, true. I sold them away. i kept the unit which had a peculiar tint performance .. looking rosy. not greenish, not purplish, not blueish, not yellowish, not orangish, not warmish, not neutral.

so mine is a cherry-picked unit with a rare tint seen on the sc52wl2. Definitely a keeper, would never sell it. Too rare that even double the original price couldn't make up for it. (i am also very pleased with Olight Smini Ti NW tint which isn't rosy but literally neutral)