Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

[size=5]Are you looking into :thinking: buying the Zebralight [b]SC52[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i pre-ordered it! :nana:[/size]

Votes: 74 17.7%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i ordered it. :grin2:[/size]

Votes: 114 27.3%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i [i]am[/i] going to order it sooner or later. Count me in yet! :santa:[/size]

Votes: 140 33.5%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but i am not too sure about it, neither now nor in future. :shrug:[/size]

Votes: 62 14.8%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but most likely it's [b]not[/b] gonna happen for some reason. :sigh:[/size]

Votes: 28 6.7%

• Total voters

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please could someone explain in detail what these versions are: sc52c, sc52d? which one of them is High CRI, and is it the same as warm white? Are they all XML?

sc52w is XML and neutral white, that i know. "f" is frosted lens.

EDIT: i checked ..

H502: XML, 260lm, 6300K, "cool white"
H502c: Rebel, 145lm(!!), 4000K, "85 High CRI - neutral white" (=eveninglight white ;=)
H502d: Rebel, 170lm(!), 5000K, "85 High CRI - daylight white"
H600w: XML, 645lm, 4200K, "75 CRI - neutral white" (=late afternoonlight white ;=)

What a big lumens loss from CW to "c" or "d"!!!

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
shelm,

No one knows at this stage what is going into the yet to be released SC51 c and d versions. If you look at past Zebralight version in headlamp and flashlight form then you will see there are a variety of LEDs from Philip Luxeons to XM-Ls.

Harry999

Enlightened
Following your edit yes there is a lumen loss but it is one users are prepared to accept for a more pleasing tint and higher CRI. The overall quality and enjoyment in using the light makes it acceptable. Not for all users but that is the great thing about having choice.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please could someone explain in detail what these versions are: sc52c, sc52d? which one of them is High CRI, and is it the same as warm white? Are they all XML?

sc52w is XML and neutral white, that i know. "f" is frosted lens.

EDIT: i checked ..

H502: XML, 260lm, 6300K, "cool white"
H502c: Rebel, 145lm(!!), 4000K, "85 High CRI - neutral white" (=eveninglight white ;=)
H502d: Rebel, 170lm(!), 5000K, "85 High CRI - daylight white"
H600w: XML, 645lm, 4200K, "75 CRI - neutral white" (=late afternoonlight white ;=)

What a big lumens loss from CW to "c" or "d"!!!

As you can see, it is not unusual to lose up to 40% of the total output(compared to cool white) when using these warmer emitters.
The other thing is that "85 High CRI" is not really a very high CRI. Most "high CRI" emitters are 90+ CRI. The popular Nichia 219 is 92 CRI.

As Harry999 notes, most people who use warm emitters are aware of this, and accept what comes along with the warmer tints because they like the warm tints and it's worth it to them.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
bansuri,

Thank you for posting that. I will be in for an SC52d as soon as it is available. I have the H502d and that is a great tint with excellent colour rendition. 5000k definitely seems to be my sweet spot.

+1 for sc52d
I'm pretty sure I'd buy a SC52d as well, because I really like the H502d. I do wish it had bit more output though, and they may not use the same emitter as the H502d so it will need to be evaluated on it's own. I have yet to get my hands on a light with a High CRI 219 Nichia, but I'm trying to find one I would really like.

I think an SC52d might be a very nice EDC especially if the lower output means it's also not driven as hard so the runtime on an eneloop is reasonable.

Coleslaw38

Newly Enlightened
Here is a beam shot at about 4 ft on a fresh 14500 on high. White wall.

4BCD1117-9768-4A33-8597-0B54A7A317E2-21346-00000ABAF2E4F997_zps26268f10.jpg

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
any thoughts on transplanting an XP-G2 into this thing? you think the stock reflector will work just fine with a G2?

Stock reflector would probably be fine with XP-G2. However, you might have a problem actually getting access to the emitter. The SC51 didn't really have a user-accessible emitter. The SC52 looks similar.

If anyone manages to disassemble an SC52 to get to the emitter please post pictures.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock reflector would probably be fine with XP-G2. However, you might have a problem actually getting access to the emitter. The SC51 didn't really have a user-accessible emitter. The SC52 looks similar.

If anyone manages to disassemble an SC52 to get to the emitter please post pictures.

dremel w/ cutoff wheel :D

eloreno

Newly Enlightened
I've been having issues with flickering when I put in freshly charged zebralight 14500 batteries into my sc52, and turning the light on max. I am using a nitecore i4 charger so I know Its not overcharging.
It seems to stop flickering after the batteries become slightly depleted.

Thoughts anyone?

LEDburn

Enlightened
I've been having issues with flickering when I put in freshly charged zebralight 14500 batteries into my sc52, and turning the light on max. I am using a nitecore i4 charger so I know Its not overcharging.
It seems to stop flickering after the batteries become slightly depleted.

Thoughts anyone?

So it ONLY happens on Max and ONLY 14500 NOT NiMH or Li-primary?
Does it happen with ALL the ZL batteries and ONLY when fully charged?
Do you have any other brand 14500's to test the light with?
What happens if you pull the cell off charge as soon as it is done and let it sit, possibly for an hour or so to let voltage settle?

I don't know if what you're experiencing would even be the symptoms of over charged cells but that is what I think is happening.

EDIT: having thought about it for a second, I actually remember a user reporting similar issues although I believe they were using IMR cells. Might be a defect :(

Last edited:

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I've been having issues with flickering when I put in freshly charged zebralight 14500 batteries into my sc52, and turning the light on max.

I have noticed this with eneloops. Sometimes they will flicker when I first put them in the light off of the charger and turn it on high mode. I have also had an issue where my light will only turn onto L1 mode when the eneloop has ~75% charge left (often this will happen if I leave a battery in it overnight). I am going to send mine back to Zebralight and see what they say about it.

eloreno

Newly Enlightened
So it ONLY happens on Max and ONLY 14500 NOT NiMH or Li-primary?
Does it happen with ALL the ZL batteries and ONLY when fully charged?
Do you have any other brand 14500's to test the light with?
What happens if you pull the cell off charge as soon as it is done and let it sit, possibly for an hour or so to let voltage settle?

I don't know if what you're experiencing would even be the symptoms of over charged cells but that is what I think is happening.

EDIT: having thought about it for a second, I actually remember a user reporting similar issues although I believe they were using IMR cells. Might be a defect :(

It happens with any 14500 that's fully charged, including 2 x ZL 14500 and 6 x trustfire 14500. It doesn't matter how long the cells sit. The flickering stops once the cells discharge to about 4.1 volts. The cells come off of the charger @ exactly 4.2 volts (measured by multi-meter).

I believe it to be a defect. I have already sent ZL an email, but I know from past experience it can take a long time to get a response.

Mojer

Newly Enlightened
It happens with any 14500 that's fully charged, including 2 x ZL 14500 and 6 x trustfire 14500. It doesn't matter how long the cells sit. The flickering stops once the cells discharge to about 4.1 volts. The cells come off of the charger @ exactly 4.2 volts (measured by multi-meter).

I believe it to be a defect. I have already sent ZL an email, but I know from past experience it can take a long time to get a response.

I use Eagletac 14500's and I am not having this issue.

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
No flickering with standard Eneloop's or KeepPower 14500's here

Edit: All of a sudden mine flickers with 14500's on the highest setting. Still not flickering with Eneloops. What the hell is going on????

Edit once again: It's not flickering anymore. Maybe the tail cap circuit board needs a cleaning? Not very confidence inspiring to say the least...

Last edited: