Zebralight SC52w-L2 comparison to SC52

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I'm not going to use something simply because I'm told that I'm a fool if I use anything else. I use what works best for me.

I'm not here to butt heads with you or call you a fool. I was just stating my opinion. Take that for what it's worth and by all means, use what works best for you.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Back to the topic. Zebralight SC52w-L2 comparison to SC52.

I only own the L2 version, but its really a great light for me. Do I plan to get the SC52? Maybe yes, in the near future. But if there is an updated version, I'd rather move forward.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
I also might upgrade, right now its the XML sc52w. Which like I said I just love the tint on. And the moonlight modes......perfect really.
I did drop it once and get a real bad scar on her, so may be reason to upgrade, but I will wait to hear some reviews of any warmer tinted ones. As of now, still thinking about that 62 also when it comes in warm!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also might upgrade, right now its the XML sc52w. Which like I said I just love the tint on. And the moonlight modes......perfect really.
I did drop it once and get a real bad scar on her, so may be reason to upgrade, but I will wait to hear some reviews of any warmer tinted ones. As of now, still thinking about that 62 also when it comes in warm!

The old SC52w already uses an XM-L2. There is no information about the brightness bin or tint of the emitter in the old light vs the new one. However, when comparing the old SC52w to the SC52w l2, there is no improvement in brightness or runtime at ANY level. So am inclined to believe it uses the same emitter. I would say there is no need to upgrade to the new light unless your old one is just beat to hell (or just don't like having a light with a big scratch). Or maybe if you just want a spare. You only see an improvement in brightness if you are going to the new cool white XM-L2 light.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be a lot less complaints about green tints with the SC52w-L2. The old SC52w seemed to have a lot of bad tints. This is just anecdotal, so it may not be any different, but it's possible that Zebralight got their hands on a better batch of LEDs.

markr6

Flashaholic
I recently sold my SC52w because I never really used it after getting my SC62d. But, I had seller's remorse right away. The tint was pretty good on it, but all my other Zebralights were better. So I purchased another right away. Luckily, the tint is AMAZING!!! I no longer have a desire for a SC___ with Nichia 219. OK, it would be nice, but I'm over it :)

By the way, here's a tint test I just did with this and some other lights: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nt-Test-L10-Nichia-SC600wII-L2-SC62d-SC52w-L2

- Great tint, probably the best of all my Zebralights now. Has a hint of "rose" tint others have mentioned.
- Nice clicky, firm switch
- Darkest anodizing I've seen yet. Appears to be much "thicker", but not sure if that's a proper way to describe anodizing?

Perfect 1xAA/14500 torch!!!

zebralights.jpg

JKolmo

Enlightened
There seems to be a lot less complaints about green tints with the SC52w-L2. The old SC52w seemed to have a lot of bad tints. This is just anecdotal, so it may not be any different, but it's possible that Zebralight got their hands on a better batch of LEDs.

SC52w L2 is waaayy better! The first SC52w(g) version was dreadful, the latest has a very nice rosy tint. I have the F version so no rings or artifacts, just nice floody beam and tint!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
markr6, that's exactly the comparison shot I've been looking for thanks. Nice photo!

I think it's extremely funny that you sold your SC52w, then had "sellers regret" and immediately bought another one. I'm glad you ended up with a good tint. I just got mine a couple of days ago and love it. Perfect anodizing, perfectly centered LED, and just the right feel for the switch, not to mushy or to stiff, just right. And while the LED tint is very nice, I did still have to filter it just a tiny bit to get it right in the place I like it (I'm exceedingly picky about tint).

I am looking forward to seeing some comparison shots between the SC62d, the new SC62c, and the upcoming SC62w. It should be interesting, but till then, I'm finding the SC52w just so darn cute I can't put it down.

markr6

Flashaholic
markr6, that's exactly the comparison shot I've been looking for thanks. Nice photo!

I think it's extremely funny that you sold your SC52w, then had "sellers regret" and immediately bought another one. I'm glad you ended up with a good tint. I just got mine a couple of days ago and love it. Perfect anodizing, perfectly centered LED, and just the right feel for the switch, not to mushy or to stiff, just right. And while the LED tint is very nice, I did still have to filter it just a tiny bit to get it right in the place I like it (I'm exceedingly picky about tint).

I am looking forward to seeing some comparison shots between the SC62d, the new SC62c, and the upcoming SC62w. It should be interesting, but till then, I'm finding the SC52w just so darn cute I can't put it down.

Thanks! Yeah, I just realized I sold off all my AAA lights, then AA. I got too spoiled with the 18650 lights, but figured I should keep a few AA/AAA lights around. Besides, I need something for all these Eneloops!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Yeah, I just realized I sold off all my AAA lights, then AA. I got too spoiled with the 18650 lights, but figured I should keep a few AA/AAA lights around. Besides, I need something for all these Eneloops!

The single AA lights are nice because you can abuse the battery without damaging it, and there's no risk of reverse-charging. Drain them until the light can only do moonlight, and then charge 'em up and they're good as new.

With lithium-ion, you either risk creating a grenade, or a protection circuit that trips and leaves you in the dark.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast

WHAT!! You sold all of your AAA/AA lights! What have you done! :eek:

You must make amends immediately and restock!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single AA lights are nice because you can abuse the battery without damaging it, and there's no risk of reverse-charging. Drain them until the light can only do moonlight, and then charge 'em up and they're good as new.

With lithium-ion, you either risk creating a grenade, or a protection circuit that trips and leaves you in the dark.

That may be true, but if you are using a single 18650, you still have no issue with reverse charging, you can comfortably run three times as long as your AA light, and still have a healthy margin for error. Your argument makes more sense when comparing AA to 14500 - but 18650s are in a completely different league. They have SO much more capacity it takes four AAs to even make it a fair fight against a single 18650. And then you are making the light substantially larger, and more complicated, to get the same performance.

To each his own! I see benefits to all types...and have everything from 10250, to AAA, to AA, to 18650, to 26650. But from a energy density/size/performance standpoint, in my opinion, 18650s are the clear winner. I've gone night hiking for several hours at a time many times, and have yet to discharge any of my 18650s to the protection trip. Bring the right light/cells for your use, and any of the options can work quite well. Just don't expect a single AA light to do everything that a 18650 light can.

I did really like the SC52, when I had it. It does offer pretty amazing performance for the size. But the SC600 really isn't THAT much bigger, and it leaves the SC52 in the dust.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That may be true, but if you are using a single 18650, you still have no issue with reverse charging, you can comfortably run three times as long as your AA light, and still have a healthy margin for error. Your argument makes more sense when comparing AA to 14500 - but 18650s are in a completely different league. They have SO much more capacity it takes four AAs to even make it a fair fight against a single 18650. And then you are making the light substantially larger, and more complicated, to get the same performance.

You still run the risk of the light suddenly going out because your protection circuit tripped. It may last 4 times longer, but who cares if you're running the light 4x brighter because you have an awesome 18650 in your light.

If you're brave enough to run it unprotected, then the light may be smart enough to leave you in the dark before your battery is ruined. Or, you may be making a bomb.

18650's certainly have advantages, but toughness isn't one of them. Try running them to empty a couple of hundred times, and see how well they fare.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
You still run the risk of the light suddenly going out because your protection circuit tripped. It may last 4 times longer, but who cares if you're running the light 4x brighter because you have an awesome 18650 in your light.

If you're brave enough to run it unprotected, then the light may be smart enough to leave you in the dark before your battery is ruined. Or, you may be making a bomb.

18650's certainly have advantages, but toughness isn't one of them. Try running them to empty a couple of hundred times, and see how well they fare.

Sure, if you are stupid about it (or simply unaware), lithium-ions of ANY type are less safe than NiMH. I never disagreed with that, and in fact that is why I don't recommend li-ions for newbies, or for people who won't make the extra effort to use them responsibly. I've never once had a cell trip...but if you really value running your cells completely empty, then obviously NiMH is a better choice for YOU.

I just don't think that reason alone is enough of a concern to prevent me from using what is in many other ways a superior choice for MY usage. It doesn't mean I have anything against NiMH, and as I already said, I use those too. But I like having the OPTION of running a light four times brighter, that also has quadruple the runtime on lower modes. Doesn't seem like a significant drawback to me.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, if you are stupid about it (or simply unaware), lithium-ions of ANY type are less safe than NiMH. I never disagreed with that, and in fact that is why I don't recommend li-ions for newbies, or for people who won't make the extra effort to use them responsibly. I've never once had a cell trip...but if you really value running your cells completely empty, then obviously NiMH is a better choice for YOU.

I very seldom run my lights empty, but once in awhile I do. Often enough that I think damaging a lithium ion isn't worth it. For me, it's not worth taking the chance, and I'd rather not worry about battery care.

I just don't think that reason alone is enough of a concern to prevent me from using what is in many other ways a superior choice for MY usage.

Cool. Then use an 18650. I have nothing against anyone else using them.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer using 14500s over Eneloops in my 1AA EDCs. The higher Max is always nice to have, but being a low lumen/night vision/runtime enthusiast, I don't really need it. For me, the advantage of the Li-ion is its evenly sloped discharge curve where a quick voltage check is an accurate indicator of remaining cell capacity. NiMhs have very flat curves in the middle 1/2 - 2/3rds of its capacity so you really can't tell how much juice is left. I personally don't use my SC52 much, but I thought its battery meter was pretty much useless on an Eneloop, decently accurate on ICR 14500s, and a hindrance on CRAAs - my three favorite cells.

Li-ions aren't as bad as people make them sound, most people carry them around in their cellphones, after all. The inherent safety of the cellphone over the flashlight, is the complete integration of device/battery/charger where software can control the checks, while the human needs to do this for flashlights... but the rules are quite simple once you understand them. Also, in single cell format, the risk of an abused Li-ion venting with flame is really only the charge cycle so it's very unlikely to "explode" on a discharge cycle while using the flashlight - except perhaps in an freak dead short situation.

markr6

Flashaholic
I prefer using 14500s over Eneloops in my 1AA EDCs. The higher Max is always nice to have, but being a low lumen/night vision/runtime enthusiast, I don't really need it. For me, the advantage of the Li-ion is its evenly sloped discharge curve where a quick voltage check is an accurate indicator of remaining cell capacity. NiMhs have very flat curves in the middle 1/2 - 2/3rds of its capacity so you really can't tell how much juice is left. I personally don't use my SC52 much, but I thought its battery meter was pretty much useless on an Eneloop, decently accurate on ICR 14500s, and a hindrance on CRAAs - my three favorite cells.

Li-ions aren't as bad as people make them sound, most people carry them around in their cellphones, after all. The inherent safety of the cellphone over the flashlight, is the complete integration of device/battery/charger where software can control the checks, while the human needs to do this for flashlights... but the rules are quite simple once you understand them. Also, in single cell format, the risk of an abused Li-ion venting with flame is really only the charge cycle so it's very unlikely to "explode" on a discharge cycle while using the flashlight - except perhaps in an freak dead short situation.

I agree, and with thedoc's comments as well. It's not like you have bombs that will explode when they hit 2.7v or whatever it is. Just check the voltage IF you run them down. If you think it's ruined, just toss it. $5 or so no big deal - it's not going to happen a lot, or at all. I use mine a lot, and even when I think they're almost dead, I find them to be around 3.8v. They just last forever in good lights. Plus voltage check on my Zebralights. Stepdown. No big deal.

I have Li-Ion in my cell phone, dust buster, lawn trimmer, toothbrush, beard trimmer, and cell phone charger to name some. Never had a worry go through my mind.

Back to the AA/AAA, I forgot I do have my H52w but it NEVER gets used. Seems useless when I have my H600w. Also have a new Fenix E05 coming which may go on my keychain.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed, it really is quite simple. Don't overdischarge or overcharge, and you are good to go. And with a good charger, and in-light cutoff (or protected cells) even if you intentionally abuse them, chances are you will be fine.

Walkintothelight, just trying to provide a different perspective. You seem to be using inflammatory terms ("creating a grenade", "making a bomb") and I feel that is a little over the top, so I am providing my own personal experience as a counterpoint. As I said, I see the value of NiMH, and use them myself. But let's not get too carried away...

In any case, I'll shut up now. Sorry to de-rail the thread. Hopefully, we can get back to the subject at hand!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMhs have very flat curves in the middle 1/2 - 2/3rds of its capacity so you really can't tell how much juice is left. I personally don't use my SC52 much, but I thought its battery meter was pretty much useless on an Eneloop, decently accurate on ICR 14500s, and a hindrance on CRAAs - my three favorite cells.

I think they improved the battery meter in the L2 version of the SC52. My old SC52 has a pretty useless battery meter on an Eneloop. But my SC52w-L2 meter is pretty good. If they didn't improve it, maybe I just got lucky with it (or unlucky with the old SC52). Still, I don't find myself using it much, probably because none of my other lights have it, so I'm just not used to it.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm finding the battery meter on my new L2 version to be pretty accurate for both Eneloops and a 14500 cell, and I do find it quite handy.