Zebralight SC52w-L2 comparison to SC52

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I accidentally inserted a battery backwards into my SC52w-L2, and poof!, it no longer works. I have several flashlights that, like the SC52w, lack reverse polarity protection, and I knew it was only a matter of time before I damaged one of them. Too bad it was the ZL, and not one of my cheap lights.

I don't think I will get it repaired. I will wait for the SC53w to appear. Hopefully, it will have reverse polarity protection.

Interesting, I didn't realize the SC52 didn't have reverse polarity protection, but I see the feature list doesn't mention it.

However, I see that the SC5/SC5w feature list does list reverse polarity protection, so I guess they started using it in the latest generation of lights. BTW, the SC5w is a great light, and not only blow away the SC52 in max output, but all modes are more efficient as well (especially the moonlight modes). I did run-time tests and output tests to confirm.

I don't think you'll see a SC53w, since the the SC5w is meant to be the successor to the SC52w-L2.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah, I say go with the SC5w if you're not repairing the SC52. For a few months after having both, I defended the SC52w. But now I hardly use it. I like the smaller size of the 52, but that's about it.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC62w and SC32w have reverse polarity protection. Not sure why ZL does not include it with the SC52w.
I like having the option to use 14500 batteries (I have 5 of them), so that rules out the SC5.
I may change my mind and get the SC52w repaired, depending on the cost. I'm sure ZL has done that repair hundreds of times already.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL has told me the repair cost is only $15, with a turn around time of 6-8 weeks, so I am going to go ahead with the repair.

I just hope I don't damage it again, after the repair. :rolleyes:

geokite

Newly Enlightened
So glad I caught up with this thread. Never realized that reverse polarity protection was so lacking on the AA models. Of the 14 models I have (all current), eight have it. The six that do not are all AA models. Gotta be careful...

Steve

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL has told me the repair cost is only $15, with a turn around time of 6-8 weeks, so I am going to go ahead with the repair.

I just hope I don't damage it again, after the repair. :rolleyes:

My repaired ZL arrived in today's mail. Total E.T. for repair and shipping was 8 weeks. I'm not sure if the repair work was done in Texas, or in China.

markr6

Flashaholic
My repaired ZL arrived in today's mail. Total E.T. for repair and shipping was 8 weeks. I'm not sure if the repair work was done in Texas, or in China.

Or perhaps Jupiter :D

8 weeks! I guess a lot of that is shipping though.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shipped to Texas, but I wonder if ZL then ships them (multiple flashlights in a single package) to their Chinese factory for repair?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shipped to Texas, but I wonder if ZL then ships them (multiple flashlights in a single package) to their Chinese factory for repair?

I believe this is correct. From what I've read they ship them out to their factory in China which does the repair then it gets shipped back to the US. For only $15 it's not bad because if your light is out of warranty you can get it fixed for only $15. I know one member on here had a few lights with frosted lenses that had cracked and he sent them in and received them all back and ZL threw in a bonus headband due to the delay they had. Great customer service imo.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Good to know that ZL repaired it properly coz I was once a victim of their repair service. But they immediately sent me a new unit considering that the repair wasn't made at all when they returned it to me. Kudos to ZL!