ZebraLight SC52w machining differences

mcteske

Newly Enlightened
I hope this hasn't been posted before (I did a search and didn't find anything), but I recently ordered a batch of ZebraLights to give to friends as gifts and noticed that there seem to be two slightly different styles of the SC52w. Some of the lights had 8 lines near the bezel (which I believe is also the style of the original SC52), but I noticed that others had 9.

Jif3RSm.jpg

LEDburn

Enlightened
Good catch! I have a sc52 and a sc52w - both of which were from the first batches of each - and they are both the same as the top one in your picture.

I notice that not only does the bottom sample have more rings, it also has more protruding in front of the cut-out rings after the head size slims down to accomodate the press fit bezel ring. Perhaps the reflector/bezel ring appear different too?
There also appears to be a narrower section on the new one just before the body size increases for the clip mounting position.

I assume the UI is the same? That is, you don't have the newest interface where three quick clicks from off go into strobe mode?

Edit: does the one with 9 rings feel like the edges are as sharp around the switch recess and other places?

Last edited:

RIX TUX

Enlightened
" I recently ordered a batch of ZebraLights to give to friends as gifts "

^^ I want to be your friend ^^

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine about a couple of weeks back direct from ZL and it looks like the one below.

@moshow9, there is no difference in the color of the lettering. The one below is in the shadow and just looked darker that's all. Mine is all white and bright.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
While no two zebras are the same, in general the zebras' patterns are most similar to other members of their own species.

This might also be the way that zebras are able to recognize one another :p

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
@moshow9, there is no difference in the color of the lettering. The one below is in the shadow and just looked darker that's all. Mine is all white and bright.

Even so, I think I like the idea of a subdued yellow lettering. It would compliment the Natural HA of the light imho.

Streak

Enlightened
While no two zebras are the same, in general the zebras' patterns are most similar to other members of their own species.

This might also be the way that zebras are able to recognize one another :p

Yes, but the males are white with black stripes and the females are black with white stripes.

mcteske

Newly Enlightened
I assume the UI is the same? That is, you don't have the newest interface where three quick clicks from off go into strobe mode?

Edit: does the one with 9 rings feel like the edges are as sharp around the switch recess and other places?

Yes, the UI is the same on all of them - three quick clicks from off goes into low mode.

I wouldn't say the edges feel noticeably sharper. The machining on both types is excellent and the difference is entirely cosmetic. My guess is that ZL might be transitioning to the style on the bottom, since that one appears to be newer and seems to be showing up more frequently in recently purchased lights.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I wouldn't say the edges feel noticeably sharper. The machining on both types is excellent and the difference is entirely cosmetic. My guess is that ZL might be transitioning to the style on the bottom, since that one appears to be newer and seems to be showing up more frequently in recently purchased lights.

Have you owned many ZL's? I would say the attention to detail in terms of smooth machining is lesser on the sc52's I own than it is on my older models such as sc80 or sc600 mk1. While the edges are no way razor sharp, they are certainly sharper in general on the sc52 from my experience.

I didn't expect them to suddenly start smoothing things which they didn't initially unless there's a reason so thought that could have been a bonus part of the cosmetic changes. Surely there IS a functional reason for the changes. Whether it is simply easier to machine or actually provides the user with a physical benefit remains to be uncovered, I suppose..

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Is the total length the same?
Does that more protruding front maybe give a more recessed lens?

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this hasn't been posted before (I did a search and didn't find anything), but I recently ordered a batch of ZebraLights to give to friends as gifts and noticed that there seem to be two slightly different styles of the SC52w. Some of the lights had 8 lines near the bezel (which I believe is also the style of the original SC52), but I noticed that others had 9.

Jif3RSm.jpg

oh there's another variation, the very first sc52's had fins that were sharp i.e. the corners on the fins were not bevelled off like on BOTH of the samples above. the anodizing was also very matte in texture and lighter in color

the latest batch of sc52w is kinda glossy and darker

markr6

Flashaholic
oh there's another variation, the very first sc52's had fins that were sharp i.e. the corners on the fins were not bevelled off like on BOTH of the samples above. the anodizing was also very matte in texture and lighter in color

the latest batch of sc52w is kinda glossy and darker

That's interesting. I had a very early model that was very dark and glossy. The tint was bad, but I sure liked the light itself. My newer SC52w is light and more of a matte finish you describe. Both have 8 fins.