Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 (XM-L2, 1x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The SC600 II obsoleted the original SC600

You're on your own there; a barely 10% increase in output with a couple extra mode features is hardly "obsoleted", it wasn't enough for me to justify buying again to replace my original SC600. Even the L2 isn't significantly different enough lumens-wise, but the potted electronics and expanded low modes certainly give pause..

radu1976

Enlightened
I didn't understand completely but is it possible to have the Hi 2A - 720 lumesn - set up as the primary mode, so once you turn on the light you'll have 720 lumens ? Or it just be used as a second high only ? I much preffer a balanced HIGH which is to last 1hr instead of a an extra 40% brightness which comes with the cost of half of the runtime. I have never been a fan of hard driven lights with a short runtime - especially 1xCR123 lights which puts hundreds of lumens for ... 20 min with a RCR123 -

Enlightened
I didn't understand completely but is it possible to have the Hi 2A - 720 lumesn - set up as the primary mode, so once you turn on the light you'll have 720 lumens ? Or it just be used as a second high only ? I much preffer a balanced HIGH which is to last 1hr instead of a an extra 40% brightness which comes with the cost of half of the runtime. I have never been a fan of hard driven lights with a short runtime - especially 1xCR123 lights which puts hundreds of lumens for ... 20 min with a RCR123 -

If you set the 720 lumen level as your high setting, it will remember it the next time you turn the light on whether it's with one quick click or button holding. A double click will flip it to the 1000 lumen level if you are sitting on 720.

funkychateau

Enlightened
You're on your own there; a barely 10% increase in output with a couple extra mode features is hardly "obsoleted", it wasn't enough for me to justify buying again to replace my original SC600. Even the L2 isn't significantly different enough lumens-wise, but the potted electronics and expanded low modes certainly give pause..

Obsoleted as in the SC600 was discontinued in favor of the SC600-II. Nothing derogatory there ... I actually waited for the SC600-II to be obsoleted by the L2, then picked up my SC600-IIs as bargains.

Of course the SC600-II was a little brighter than the original, but the biggest improvement to me was the reduction in size - the second version became truly pocketable. I use both of the super-low modes as a night light. The (tailstanding). I suppose if I had an original I might be tempted to gift it and upgrade to the II (or the L2). My friends and relatives get a lot of obsolete-but-nice stuff from me.

The SC600-L2 bumps max output a little more but the size is still the same as the SC600-II. Is the latest bump a big deal? Would the owner of a II be tempted to upgrade to an L2? Would most non-owners choose a $95 L2 over a $63 II?

Still looking for someone in the Dallas area with an L2 to meet me for side-by-side beamshots.

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
Well, I'm pretty sure there's no real need to upgrade unless you specifically want to take advantage of the PID at the highest settings (which you might want if you intend on using it as, say, a bike light or a snorkeling light). The difference on the rest of the modes is marginal for the most part, and apparently there are two modes that actually work more efficiently on the regular mkII (unless it is a spec error on ZL's site). The UI and the body are identical between the two. I don't know, hardly enough of an incentive for a hundred dollar light in my opinion.

Myself, I'll most likely wait until ZL release an update using the next XM-L2 brightness bin, and only then upgrade. Or maybe S5310 is released first.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, the PID works great. Looks like this could be popular with bike riders. Well, just speaking for myself

bobstay

Newly Enlightened
Battery Indicator

Another new feature on the SC600-II is a relative battery life remaining indicator. Quadrupule-click the switch from off, and the main emitter flashes out a relative battery strenth (flashes 1-4 times, with 4 being nearly fully charged).

Any idea what battery voltages the four levels represent?

bobstay

Newly Enlightened
I said voltages, not percentages. The driver has no way of estimating percentage except by the cell voltage.

bodhran

Enlightened
I think when people discuss tint they should mention if they bought the cool or neutral version. Getting a little confused here...*s*

markr6

Flashaholic
Ok, Sorry, I guess someone would have to measure the voltages at each level.

It would be nice if Zebralight could use a voltage readout like some Nitecore lights. And speed it up a little while they're at it!

funkychateau

Enlightened
Any idea what battery voltages the four levels represent?

4 flashes = above 3.9 volts
3 flashes = < 3.9 volts
2 flashes = < 3.7 volts

Voltages were measured by depleting the light to the point where the lower indication is observed immediately after a short usage, then the higher indication after a period of recovery, and repeating until the recovery no longer yields the higher indication. Then the cell was removed and no-load voltage measured.

I have not yet depleted my SC600-II to the one-flash level in a controlled test.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
3 flashes = < 3.9 volts
2 flashes = < 3.7 volts

Voltages were measured by depleting the light to the point where the lower indication is observed immediately after a short usage, then the higher indication after a period of recovery, and repeating until the recovery no longer yields the higher indication. Then the cell was removed and no-load voltage measured.
Thanks for these no-load measures funkychateau.

I have no idea what Zebralight is actually using for their cut-offs at each level in the circuit (although it would involve measuring under a small load). While it is a bit unusual to use this sort of 4 place indicator instead of a voltage readout, it's not unheard of (e.g., Olight SR-series lights).

funkychateau

Enlightened
3 flashes = < 3.9 volts
2 flashes = < 3.7 volts

I have not yet depleted my SC600-II to the one-flash level in a controlled test.

Ok, I completed the run last night. The SC600-II changes to one flash at 3.6 volts. So the internal voltmeter calibration appears to be:

4 flashes = over 3.9 volts
3 flashes = between 3.9 and 3.7 volts
2 flashes = between 3.7 and 3.6 volts
1 flash = below 3.6 volts