Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 (XM-L2, 1x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone can tell me how is the build quality compared to Sunway C21C or C20C?

And what is the max usable lumens to run until battery empty and without getting to hot in a normal temparature?

Build quality is somewhat subjective, but I think the SC600 has significantly higher build quality. It feels more solid, electronics are potted, threads are much smoother.

The SC600 can run indefinitely at 500 lumens, H2. I have done that many times, up to a couple hours at one time. Tail-standing, with no airflow other than natural air currents in the room, tt does get warm, but definitely not hot. The C20C is significantly smaller, especially the head, which I think is the main reason why the Zebralight can handle a higher output without overheating.

incd

Newly Enlightened
Build quality is somewhat subjective, but I think the SC600 has significantly higher build quality. It feels more solid, electronics are potted, threads are much smoother.

The SC600 can run indefinitely at 500 lumens, H2. I have done that many times, up to a couple hours at one time. Tail-standing, with no airflow other than natural air currents in the room, tt does get warm, but definitely not hot. The C20C is significantly smaller, especially the head, which I think is the main reason why the Zebralight can handle a higher output without overheating.

Thanks for the info. You said it could runs a couple house on 500 lumens, do you know, how many ampere it consume on this lumen and what is the capacity of the battery?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. You said it could runs a couple house on 500 lumens, do you know, how many ampere it consume on this lumen and what is the capacity of the battery?

It doesn't come with a battery. So whatever cell you choose to use will determine capacity. You can use a 1500 mAh cell, or you can use a 3600 mAh cell. Obviously one will give better runtime than the other.

Also, I was thinking of my old version, the non-L2 version. The latest one (which I do have) has thermal regulation, not just a simple stepdown. So no matter what level you choose, overheating should not be a problem. It will automatically dim or brighten as conditions allow, while maintaining a safe temperature.

As for the current draw, I'm not sure. I would guess 1.4 amp draw on one level down from turbo, but that is just a guess. This is NOT a measurement.

tandem

Enlightened
Haven't been a regular visitor to CPF for a while, so what happens in December when I come looking? I stumble across yet-another thoughtful Selfbuilt review. Call it kismet, call it coincidence, but that very night someone burgled my vehicle and took my smallest light I'd left in there. SC600 Mk II L2 neutral white ordered the next morning.

This is the second Zebralight in the family; I bought an AA powered headlamp for my wife a few years ago and it's been incredibly well received, used for everything from around the house jobs to mountaineering trips to standing guard on the bedpost (wife's side of course) every night.

The UI wasn't love at first sight for me, I generally prefer all-on or all-off binary lights, but I must say the Zebralight UI has grown on me.

In this version I really like the battery check feature -- it's simple and is simply brilliant. I can't help but wonder why more lights don't provide this functionality... especially lithium ion powered lights where battery capacity status is relatively easily determined.

Took the SC600IIL2 out for a run tonight with a customized low mode that is just perfect to warn off cyclists approaching me from the rear.

My bored out Surefires are jealous this evening.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Haven't been a regular visitor to CPF for a while, so what happens in December when I come looking? I stumble across yet-another thoughtful Selfbuilt review. Call it kismet, call it coincidence, but that very night someone burgled my vehicle and took my smallest light I'd left in there. SC600 Mk II L2 neutral white ordered the next morning.
Good to see you again Mike, welcome back. Glad you found this review useful, it is a nice light - once you get used to the versatile ZL interface.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is the second Zebralight in the family; I bought an AA powered headlamp for my wife a few years ago and it's been incredibly well received, used for everything from around the house jobs to mountaineering trips to standing guard on the bedpost (wife's side of course) every night.

The UI wasn't love at first sight for me, I generally prefer all-on or all-off binary lights, but I must say the Zebralight UI has grown on me.

In this version I really like the battery check feature -- it's simple and is simply brilliant. I can't help but wonder why more lights don't provide this functionality... especially lithium ion powered lights where battery capacity status is relatively easily determined.

Took the SC600IIL2 out for a run tonight with a customized low mode that is just perfect to warn off cyclists approaching me from the rear.

My bored out Surefires are jealous this evening.

Indeed, the interface is really a pleasure to use. It becomes really simple after a short while of using it.

Mqqny

Newly Enlightened
New account here, old user.

Your reviews are always awesome selfbuilt and this one is no different. :thumbsup:

My last light purchase was a Quark 123^2 XML neutral white with AW 17670 when Four Sevens ran a limited run of them a couple years ago around the holidays. I decided to look into getting a new EDC light a few weeks ago with the stipulation that it must have a neutral white emitter (I absolutely detest cool white after owning a couple NW lights). Even though you reviewed the cool white version (knowing that the build quality, UI, and everything else is the same sans the emitter), this review is what did it for me. I read the review a couple times and was sold.

I ordered up the SC600 Mk II L2 neutral white the other day with a pair of Panasonic NCR18650B batteries. Wow! This thing is downright phenomenal. Shorter than my old Quark (albeit larger in diameter), twice the battery capacity, more than twice the lumens, far superior UI (in my opinion at least, YMMV), and a nice deep ride pocket clip than is very easily reversible when I need to go hat+light=headlamp mode (makes oil changes easier). I consider it equally "EDC-able" as my old Quark, but a much better light in every way. Technology moves fast.

My Quark is now on nightstand duty.

Thanks for the review. This may be my first Zebralight, but it certainly won't be my last.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
New account here, old user.
My usual :welcome: may not be as relevant, but I appreciate you signing up to post in this thread. :)

The SC600-II is a nice light - very compact, great range of outputs, fabulous regulation and efficiency. I can see why this thread keep getting bumped back up.

blackadder911

Newly Enlightened
Awsome review Selfbuilt! Many thanks..
Just got mine this morning. So I right away doing little comparison with my new S30R. And the result is Zebralight make S30R beam lumens like amateur.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just got mine this morning. So I right away doing little comparison with my new S30R. And the result is Zebralight make S30R beam lumens like amateur.
Really? I'm currently testing the S30R now, and I find my sample is close to the SC600-II in terms of max overall output and peak throw. The SC600-II has a wider spillbeam though, and a less sharply defined hotspot. Together, this does give the SC600-II a "floodier" appearance.

Or were you referring to the interface? It's true, the S30R has a simplified interface, consistent with the other members of this family from Olight.

blackadder911

Newly Enlightened
Really? I'm currently testing the S30R now, and I find my sample is close to the SC600-II in terms of max overall output and peak throw. The SC600-II has a wider spillbeam though, and a less sharply defined hotspot. Together, this does give the SC600-II a "floodier" appearance.

Or were you referring to the interface? It's true, the S30R has a simplified interface, consistent with the other members of this family from Olight.

I dont know for sure, because I just compare them with my naked eye.
But in my sight, I believe that my S30R have less intensity compare to SC600W II L2. I doing little comparison for ceiling bounce too, and the result.. again, SC600W II L2 is have more brightness to the room.
Agree with the wider spill beam on SC600W II L2 maybe because of its bigger head and yes! this "floodier" appearance is what I like!
IMHO they have same deep reflector.
Smooth hotspot in SC600W II L2 I believe because of its OP reflector, S30R reflector is smooth as silk so it generated more sharply defined hotspot.
Booth have a smooth electronic switch, like mouse click. Altough S30R not covered its switch with rubber, but I prefer the feel of S30R switch, its more soft smooth, compare to SC600W II L2 wich is more "firm click" come on it.
Base UI for S30R, single quick click is last memorized brightness mode, press for mode cycle. Yes, it is very simple.
But I still choose for SC600W II L2 for feel on hand and UI. I always like Zebralight UI even its more "tricky" than other :)
Since I had sell all my "last year" SC600 series, I want to ask you, did this new SC600 II L2 knurling is not grippy as its predecessor?

PS: I always like to see your review, and I keep learning from you and this forum. This is my one of kind review about SC600-II in Indonesia Flashlight Forum @KasKus.co.id
http://www.kaskus.co.id/show_post/527a70dfffca17d01d000009/574/zebralight-sc600-mark-ii

-sorry for my bad English :)

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
Since I had sell all my "last year" SC600 series, I want to ask you, did this new SC600 II L2 knurling is not grippy as its predecessor?

I think I can answer that. I have an early SC600 (not one of the very first, mine has the lanyard attachment point) and an SC600w II L2. Both have the same or very similar knurling patterns, but the SC600w II L2 has a "glossier" finish that makes it somewhat less grippy.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
IMHO they have same deep reflector.
Smooth hotspot in SC600W II L2 I believe because of its OP reflector, S30R reflector is smooth as silk so it generated more sharply defined hotspot.
Yes, the texturing on the SC600-II reflector does help to smooth the transition of the hotspot. The wider shape on the SC600-II's reflector also helps with this (as well as explain the wider spill).

My impression is that the knurling has become less aggressive over time on this series, but I haven't seen enough specimens to confirm.

blackadder911

Newly Enlightened
I think I can answer that. I have an early SC600 (not one of the very first, mine has the lanyard attachment point) and an SC600w II L2. Both have the same or very similar knurling patterns, but the SC600w II L2 has a "glossier" finish that makes it somewhat less grippy.

I do agree with glosier finish...
But about knurling you can see below..

Yes, the texturing on the SC600-II reflector does help to smooth the transition of the hotspot. The wider shape on the SC600-II's reflector also helps with this (as well as explain the wider spill).

My impression is that the knurling has become less aggressive over time on this series, but I haven't seen enough specimens to confirm.

Yes confirmed, I do take a litle makro shoot for my last year SC600 II and L2 and this is the result:

SC600-II
1ac45446619010126d091a9fefdd74df.jpg

SC600-II L2
0c207188a427aeaa8ae0628a37f3ec61.jpg

Those knurling image of SC600-II is from my review in Indonesian Flashlight Forum I've made before. And knurling image of SC600W II L2 is photo I've taken this morning.

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened

I do agree with glosier finish...
But about knurling you can see below..

Yes confirmed, I do take a litle makro shoot for my last year SC600 II and L2 and this is the result:

Those knurling image of SC600-II is from my review in Indonesian Flashlight Forum I've made before. And knurling image of SC600W II L2 is photo I've taken this morning.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the photos (and for the excellent close-up of the threads in your review on the Indonesian forum). Your macro shots reveal that the difference between the knurling on the SC600 and the MK II L2 is bigger than I thought. If you look close enough, you can even see small dimples in the knurling on the SC600 that aren't there on the MK II L2.
pattern.jpg

blackadder911

Newly Enlightened
I stand corrected. Thanks for the photos (and for the excellent close-up of the threads in your review on the Indonesian forum). Your macro shots reveal that the difference between the knurling on the SC600 and the MK II L2 is bigger than I thought. If you look close enough, you can even see small dimples in the knurling on the SC600 that aren't there on the MK II L2.
-edited image-

Yes.. those dimple make the knurling of the earlier version more "bite" I think.
And the knurling shape of the earlier version is more like "pyramid" because of their deep ditch, compare to L2 is just flat..
Thank you Swede74, those macro is intended to reveal how the realy knurling should be ;)

Paully_B

Newly Enlightened
I love this light. Sitting it on its tail and shining the ceiling lights up th whole room.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a diffuser for it? I'd love to be able to use it as a lantern when camping.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
I love this light. Sitting it on its tail and shining the ceiling lights up th whole room.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a diffuser for it? I'd love to be able to use it as a lantern when camping.

a translucent 35mm film canister (if you can find one) clips on to the end of the light as if it was designed for it. I wandered in to a camera shop and asked for a couple, they were more than happy to oblige. There are a couple of pictures of this arrangement on threads elsewhere, I don't know which ones off the top of my head otherwise I would link to it for you.

I can vouch that it works extremely well.

KickTheCAN

Newly Enlightened
After reading this review, it is not surprising for me to hear people rave about Zebralights. Might have to add one to my collection soon.