Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

pappajohan

Newly Enlightened
Got my light the other day and I don't know.

Having a hard time to decide if I like it or not.
The light output compared to my SC64 or Olight S2R2 doesn't convince me to choose this over any of the other two.

Think it's more like a output vs pocket bulk kind of debate.
Also, I really have a hard time with this kind of warn light, I prefer cooler tints apparently.

Rockjunkie15

Newly Enlightened

The light output compared to my SC64 or Olight S2R2 doesn't convince me to choose this over any of the other two.

Also, I really have a hard time with this kind of warn light, I prefer cooler tints apparently.

I really like this light but the main draw for me is the nice warm tint and Great cri. If your a cooler tint guy this is probably not the light for you. You should play with it for awhile and if you really don't like it you can certainly sell it on the forums.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

Take your time in evaluating it. While direct beam comparisons on a white wall can "color" expectations, what it comes down to is the usability of the beam. Also, remember that the Zebralight is in a very different class than an Olight. It's made in a much more rugged fashion. Real Gorilla glass lens. Tough anodizing on the body. Potted electronics. I find Olight bodies tend to scratch easily.

pappajohan

Newly Enlightened
Take your time in evaluating it. While direct beam comparisons on a white wall can "color" expectations, what it comes down to is the usability of the beam. Also, remember that the Zebralight is in a very different class than an Olight. It's made in a much more rugged fashion. Real Gorilla glass lens. Tough anodizing on the body. Potted electronics. I find Olight bodies tend to scratch easily.
I know.

Just returned from parking my car in the garage and the lights went out.

It became very obvious that the ZL is a more versatile and potent light.[emoji16]

NPL

Enlightened

Remember that the sc64 series is smaller and will drop in output much faster than the sc600 series. If you are using the light on high for more than a few minutes at a time, the sc600 will be a much better performer.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
For the SC64, what can be expected for sustained thermal output on a cold day, maybe a little above freezing?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the SC64, what can be expected for sustained thermal output on a cold day, maybe a little above freezing?

You mean on max? It's a couple of minutes at those kinds of temperatures. The light is really too small to shed all the heat, even in cool temps. But in colder conditions (below -10C for example), I have found that it will maintain max output much longer (maybe permanently?). Perhaps that's not unexpected.

I haven't tried the 600w Plus in cold conditions. It heats up pretty fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ramped down sooner than the SC64.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Yes, either on max, or a lower PID output. I was originally interested in either the SC64w or SC600 Mk 4 plus. Now, I'm looking most closely at the SC64c LE.

My most frequent use for this light would be outside, hiking and walking, from 2-10C, 35-50F on higher output.

For comparison, my TN12 can maintain turbo setting for longer than 10 minutes without problem and claimed 435 lumens indefinitely. However, that's not similarly regulated and I'm using a protected Panny B, so there will be a significant drop.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Yes, either on max, or a lower PID output. I was originally interested in either the SC64w or SC600 Mk 4 plus. Now, I'm looking most closely at the SC64c LE.

My most frequent use for this light would be outside, hiking and walking, from 2-10C, 35-50F on higher output.

For comparison, my TN12 can maintain turbo setting for longer than 10 minutes without problem and claimed 435 lumens indefinitely. However, that's not similarly regulated and I'm using a protected Panny B, so there will be a significant drop.

Do you value light-weightedness or feel in hand more? I think the SC64's are better suited for comfort in pocket as an EDC or if you wanna keep things as light as possible. When wearing gloves, the 600 I have seems too small to hold.

I don't own an SC64 variant (but I own similar sized lights) and find that the SC600w IV Plus I have is about as small as I like for feel in hand. The 600s will last much longer (about twice as much mass) than the 64's. I have an H600Fc which is about the same size as the 64s and it steps down in about 1 minute at around 1000 lumens, my SC600w Plus takes about 3-5 minutes at a similar output.

You might also want to consider the HI, or Fc or Fd Plus, or even the 700d :)

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

On the lowest PID mode, about 500 lumens, it lasts pretty much indefinitely in cool weather, as far as I've seen. Should be no issue at all running it at that output, for your use. If you want, you can permanently increase the PID temperature threshold by 5 degrees, if you find it does eventually start to ramp down.

Even at warmer temperatures, gripping it more tightly in your hand will ramp it back up as the heat is drawn away from the light more efficiently than just the air.

But if you really want the highest output without PID kicking in, the 600w Plus is the best light for that. (Or the 700d.) The Plus will run at 700 lumens without ramping down quite easily, with a bit of breeze or cool air.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the input. I'd have specific uses for both the 64 and 600 but I'm only looking for 1. I'll need to think about my priorities

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the input. I'd have specific uses for both the 64 and 600 but I'm only looking for 1. I'll need to think about my priorities

If you want just one, get the SC64w HI. You'll find more general-purpose use for it. Running on max output is not something you'll likely be doing a lot anyway, even if the light could do it without ramping down.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order of Zebralight I'd get (and have got), not including headlamps:

SC64w HI
SC600w IV HI
SC600w IV Plus (or SC700d)
SC53w
SC5w II

Although I list the SC5w as last, it's one of my most-used lights. However, now it's strictly used for a bedside light, which it is great at due to its really stable tail-standing. I love it's 500 lumen output on a AA cell, but it's a little thick for comfortable pocket carry. The SC53 is the smallest for pocket-carry. But the SC64 HI is the best all-'round light.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
With the Hi I'm concerned about too much focus. I tend to like floodier lights. Not sure how it compares to my current lights.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Hi I'm concerned about too much focus. I tend to like floodier lights. Not sure how it compares to my current lights.

Yeah, the SC600w HI is really only good outdoors if you want a bit of throw. It's great for that, though.

The SC64w HI isn't really very focused. Its reflector is small, so it's not much more focused than the regular SC64. You probably couldn't tell the difference side-by-side unless you are really looking for it. The main benefit of the HI is the nice, even tint.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say you wouldn't notice the difference. The hotspot on the HI is definitely a bit smaller and more focused. But, it is still quite floody and works well in an all around EDC role imo. Actually, I find the slightly more intense hotspot more useful overall. And yes, I agree the lower tint shift across the beam, comparatively, is definitely an upgrade over the XHP35 HD used in the regular SC64's.

Personally, I prefer the SC64w HI over the SC64w. But, beam preference, as with most flashlight characteristics, is quite subjective. Hugh, maybe you could let us know a couple of lights you have that have the beam profile you prefer? It's possible one of us has/had the same light and can compare. It is too bad that I already sold my SC64w or I would post a comparative beamshots for you.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I love the profile of my Thrunite TN12 (the tint not so much). Smooth transition to spill. I also like the Q8 - more defined hotspot but it's a nice ratio.

NPL

Enlightened
Just installed a Lee Zircon 802 filter on top of my sc600w plus. The difference is phenomenal. Went from a yellow green tint to super neutral. Probably increased R9 value as well. Very impressed and recommend it to other owners.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just installed a Lee Zircon 802 filter on top of my sc600w plus. The difference is phenomenal. Went from a yellow green tint to super neutral. Probably increased R9 value as well. Very impressed and recommend it to other owners.
Where did you pick yours up? There are a number of sources on-line, but all the ones I've seen so far are quite pricey, for just a small amount of filter.