Zebralight SC62 (XM-L2, 1x18650) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

tops2

Enlightened
The downside: The SC62s get hot. And they eat batteries. I use ZL 18650 3400s. I'm not a heavy user but find that I must keep these batteries fully charged or risk having the light step down when I least expect it.

I saw this comment from a while back about needing to keep the batteries fully charged or have the light step down when least expected.

Does anyone else notice else notice the light stepping down on a slightly less than full charge? I'm considering this or the updated SC63 (but leaning towards the SC62w just so I can use my existing 18650 cells).

I usually use my SC5w on H2.2 (187lm) or M1 (45lm) level and even when I run the Eneloop down to 2 flashes with the battery check feature, I haven't experienced the light step down.

Before buying the SC5w, I played with an SC52 at Illumn, and the light kept stepping down, but when the guys there checked their Eneloop, said it was fully charged. I ended up not getting the SC52 cause of my limited hands on time with it but it kept stepping down.

snugpie

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review! I may just have to get this to compliment my Zebralight headlamp.

D6859

Enlightened
Thank you again selfbuilt! Your review helped me once again with the decision wether to buy or not to buy.

I bid 37 € for SC62w today in a Finnish eBay equivalent (huuto.net). It so happened that the seller lives in the same city as I live. Within 1 hour after the bidding was closed he brought the flashlight for me and I paid him 40 eur in cash. I think it was a good deal :)

This is my first Zebralight. I need some time to adjust to the new UI, especially to that one click turns the HI mode on and long presses start the mode cycle from LO. The tint is cooler than I expected. Otherwise the light seem really nice. And I always thought my Convoy S2+ was a small light...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you again selfbuilt! Your review helped me once again with the decision wether to buy or not to buy.

I bid 37 € for SC62w today in a Finnish eBay equivalent (huuto.net). It so happened that the seller lives in the same city as I live. Within 1 hour after the bidding was closed he brought the flashlight for me and I paid him 40 eur in cash. I think it was a good deal :)

This is my first Zebralight. I need some time to adjust to the new UI, especially to that one click turns the HI mode on and long presses start the mode cycle from LO. The tint is cooler than I expected. Otherwise the light seem really nice. And I always thought my Convoy S2+ was a small light...
Hope you like it. You can set H2 as the default and then 1-click will turn on H2 rather than H1 which I find much better and saves battery. if you really want H1 1-click then wait ~1/2 second and double click. If you double click too soon you'll end up with triple click and strobe.
Give it a little time, I think you will find the Ui great.

D6859

Enlightened
You can set H2 as the default and then 1-click will turn on H2 rather than H1 which I find much better and saves battery.

How do you do that? I couldn't find it in the manual.

Edit:
Nwm, I was a bit tired and thought M2 instead of H2. Indeed, I just set High mode to H2 and next time I turn on the light with single click it'll be H2. I think I'll program it to 160 lm. That should suffice most of the time :)

Last edited:

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I have not found a side button light that I can carry daily in my pocket that does not activate accidentally. they have to be locked out which is more bother then it is worth for the multiple times a day I use lights.
there may be lights that work but I haven't found them.

Anybody else carry in the pocket w/o clip and get an accidental activation?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not found a side button light that I can carry daily in my pocket that does not activate accidentally. they have to be locked out which is more bother then it is worth for the multiple times a day I use lights.
there may be lights that work but I haven't found them.
I presume you are including the Zebralights in that? I've not had any accidental activation with recent Zebralights for a few years now since they redesigned the switch and switch well. I carry it everyday clipped in my pocket often with lots of other stuff. If you manage to get accidental activation on recent Zebralights I think you definitely have to go for a twisty, I'm not a big fan of lockout either, but I did it on some earlier zebra lights from time to time depending on my pocket, they require something like only a 1/32 or 1/64 of the tailcap turn to lockout. I think that was on the SC60 I found I had to use lockout sometimes. maybe if you don't use the clip there is a bigger chance of activation.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I think my comment might sound overly negative. i didn't mean to. I love zebralights and the sc62 is a wonderful light, but my sc62 has activated in my pocket. I carry lots of junk in my pockets including keys. twice while sitting in my car I could feel the warmth. yes the new deep wells around the button helped a lot. but in my case I live with a twisty. there are several side switch lights that I love but don't carry in my pocket. I also tried a belt pouch but that was just a Band-Aid fix. lockout works if you don't use the light 10X a day. just my 2 cents.