Zebralight SC62 (XM-L2, 1x18650) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Doesn't this light already have low-voltage protection built-in? What is using a protected battery getting you? The light isn't going to short the cell, or drive it harder than allowed, or run the voltage too low. Isn't that all that battery protection is giving you?

I suppose a protected battery also gives you protection from a charger that goes crazy, but I wouldn't leave lithium-ion chargers unattended whether charging protected or unprotected batteries.

So, can't you just use a regular flat-top unprotected Panasonic 18650? That's what AW uses as the cell, isn't it?
It should also protect against short circuit or overheated battery in unattended light. I recently had a high quality (not AW) protected 18660 vent for no apparent reason in a solarforce flashlight with a 1.5 amp xpg2. I had been using the light. Shut it off. Put it down. And 10 minutes later pop whoosh. Even if I left it on at 1.5 amps it should never get hot enough to vent. I assume a short circuit but a protected cell should have been disabled before it vented. Fortunately no flame but it scared the heck out of me. I was going to switch to all imr batteries but read there is really no such thing any more - that all cells are hybrid chemistry regardless of what labels say.

awyeah

Enlightened
As with other heavily-driven lights, some 18650s may not be able to handle the sustained discharge rate on Max. I recommend you stick with high-quality cells.

What is the current draw on Max?

markr6

Flashaholic
What is the current draw on Max?

Not much, I think something like 3.5A? I no longer have mine to check, but I tested it once and I think that sounds about right. Who can confirm?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the XM L2 in my PD35s was/is said to pull 3.5 as well, sounds about right.
This why I tossed my pulled cells, didn't figure they'd handle that and heat by-product. I can't be held to just being high, I want Turbo!🔦

awyeah

Enlightened
3.5A? Would a typical protected ICR handle that? I have all EagleTac 3100mAh batteries.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to switch to all imr batteries but read there is really no such thing any more - that all cells are hybrid chemistry regardless of what labels say.

Really? But the name-brand IMR batteries seem to max out at about 2600mAh, compared to about 3400mAh for the ICR. And the IMR not not protected. They can't be the same as the ICR...??

Are you referring to Ultrafire or something like that, where you have no idea what you get inside?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Really? But the name-brand IMR batteries seem to max out at about 2600mAh, compared to about 3400mAh for the ICR. And the IMR not not protected. They can't be the same as the ICR...??

Are you referring to Ultrafire or something like that, where you have no idea what you get inside?
If it vents imr does not flame and gas not as toxic. I have had protected cells vent

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for another great review. I know it has been awhile since you made the review, but I am only now interested in getting the smallest quality light that uses one 18650. I am going to order a Zebralight SC62 today so it arrives in time for my birthday. You are truely a great help to our community with your reviews. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for another great review. I know it has been awhile since you made the review, but I am only now interested in getting the smallest quality light that uses one 18650. I am going to order a Zebralight SC62 today so it arrives in time for my birthday. You are truely a great help to our community with your reviews. :thumbsup:
Thanks, glad you found the review useful! :wave:

thanos.k

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. I have read a lot of reviews and stuff for led flash lights and i make my decision to buy from nkon a zebralight sc62w.
Greetings from Greece.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. I have read a lot of reviews and stuff for led flash lights and i make my decision to buy from nkon a zebralight sc62w.
Greetings from Greece.

Excellent decision. You'll never go wrong with this light. I had this from the time it was released past year and its part of my EDC. For sure you'll like like.

Btw, :welcome:

recDNA

Flashaholic
In the PID output vs time graphs I do not understand vertical axis. What is 260 as percent of output? Is there a way for me to convert vertical axis into either amps or lumens?

Did I miss runtime for lower level beacon mode?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
In the PID output vs time graphs I do not understand vertical axis. What is 260 as percent of output? Is there a way for me to convert vertical axis into either amps or lumens?
That is my standard relative output scale, for the raw numbers coming out of the lightbox. To convert to estimated lumens, you can do the conversion described in this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...convert-Selfbuilt-s-Lightbox-values-to-Lumens

Did I miss runtime for lower level beacon mode?
I didn't see any specs from Zebralight when I published the review (and needless to say, I won't be performing these). :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Why not? It's not like you have a life to live and 100 more flashlights to review! LOL

Thanks very much for your spectacular work.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
I asked this elsewhere, but I'm curious if an undocumented feature of the SC62 is ability to run on 2xCR123a primary cells (in medium and low only), in a pinch, like a power outage.

I already know that some ZL lights are rated at up to 6V, and the SC62 is not one of them (though the SC63 is).

recDNA

Flashaholic
That would be nice but I doubt it. I wish they built it into the driver allowing h2 as max output (preventing accidental H1 activation) That draws less than 1 amp.

markr6

Flashaholic
I ran my SC62w with 2xCR123 for a few minutes without any problems. But I wouldn't risk it in real use.