Zebralight SC64w Hi and H53fw

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
First post. New Zebralight owner - learning.

Totally to my personal taste, having grown up with thumb switched D-cell flashlights I continue to find tail switches awkward and unnatural which is how I came to discover Zebralight flashlights.

I received my first Zebralight ever in the form of the SC64w Hi 18650 XHP35 flashlight for mixed EDC/home use, four days USPS Southdale, TX, to Houston. I was immediately so pleased with everything about it; size, beam, throw, tint, etc., that I placed an order for their H53fw AA Headlamp which also arrived in four days USPS.

As surprised and happy as I am with the diminutive SC64w Hi, the H53fw may have provided an even bigger (or smaller depending how you look at it) surprise. This tiny AA wonder will be for general use around the house, setting up a tent in the dark, camping food prep, etc. I prefer hand held for hiking, but may give this a try. Thus far I have had little reason to run it beyond medium M1.

I'll be futzing with the UI on each for no other reason than to get familiar with it, yet after spending a week with them I don't perceive any immediate need to reprogram anything. I've messed with the beacon-strobe modes just to try them out.

Sorry, I 'm not equipped to provide any technical information of which there exists an ample amount available on this forum, however I do wish to express these opinions:

* H53fw: A real surprise - I may love this as much as the SC64w Hi, albeit for different reasons. It arrived in perfect condition, and comes with a nice removable black pocket clip which I may not use. The power switch is very positive - a light touch and it clicks with no play at all - love it. It's so tiny that with an eneloop pro AA battery & strap it tops out at 3.2 oz. on our kitchen scale, just .15 oz more than our plastic Energizer HDD323 headlamp with 3 x AAA batteries & strap. The size, color, and beam are perfect for my needs, however if I had four wishes/nitpicks the first would be that this right-angle headlamp came with a side power switch vs. end switch allowing a pinch to turn it on. Second would be that it had a brighter low L1 closer to the L1 2.7 Lm on the SC64w vs. the current L1 1.2 Lm which is on the dim side for reading. Third would be a reversible pocket clip as the current clip hangs the light upside down. Last, some headlamps have moved to a plastic quick click-in type mount on the head strap which would be more convenient than the silicone hoops.

I just read that previous model(s) supported the 14500 battery (this one doesn't?), and have yet to use this in practical camping/hiking situations, so actual run times may give cause to moderate its favorability. If so, I'll probably upgrade to the H600 series.

* SC64w Hi: It arrived in perfect condition along with a strong black pocket clip which perfectly fits a 1.5" webbed belt, the very reason why I almost lost it by carrying it clipped to the outside of said belt. While the clip is strong the flashlight can be easily snagged in that position. The power button is a tad spongier (as though there's some space between the boot and the switch) than the H53fw, but it works perfectly well. The natural color temperature really impresses - in our living room at night all colors look stunningly real vs. the bluish washed out cast with every other light we own.

Also for not having thought things completely through I found myself in a quandary as to where to carry the SC64w Hi because normally my pants pockets are all taken; left front pocket - cell phone, right front pocket - keys, change, and folding pocket knife, back left - wallet, back right - batteries for hearing aids. Then I discovered that wearing jeans - VOILA! It slips right into the coin pocket secured with the pocket clip on the outside. It's a bit heavy for a t-shirt or shirt pocket, but would easily be at home in any jacket pocket.

Last, I want to say thank you to everyone here for so much useful information which convinced me to purchase Zebralight products. Initially I shied away from Zebralight because of what I perceived to be a daunting UI, but after having read your very, very helpful instructions/graphs/opinions on the topic I changed my mind, and almost immediately discovered that I could conveniently start a Zebralight in whichever level I choose (still working on changing levels once the light is on). Zebralights may not be cheap, but I find them extremely satisfying. So far, so good - we'll see what happens.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great combo; excellent lights. I've been using the previous version of your headlamp, the H52Fw, as my backpacking light for ~9 years. If I thought there was something better, I'd have it, but the H52Fw is about perfect.
I'd have to reprogram a H53, as L1 is so low, and that's what I use the most outdoors, but the H53Fw would definitely be my choice among current headlamps.

As far as hiking, the H600w(or the F version) I bought for hardhat use would get my vote only for long, fast night hikes where the runtime at higher output would be an advantage. Pointless for regular camping or backpacking, IMO. I have a few acquaintances that use them for caving, though

I've done 4 weeklong trips for backpacking this year, and never needed to change batteries in the H52Fw during one. Could have done all 4 trips on 1 battery charge, for that matter.
Lately I've been using a USB rechargeable AA in it, anyway. Now, if the need should ever arise, I can charge it up with my power banks.

holygeez03

Enlightened
In my opinion the H series lights also work great for EDC with the clip... I carry mine clipped to the top of my left (cell phone) pocket all the time. The right angle makes it a great little "work light" that can be aimed at the task. It also makes a great night-stand light with the super low modes.

You could get a cheap holster for the SC64... I have one for the 62 I keep in my glove box. Someone here will need to point you to the current best option. I could actually use another for my SC64, so can someone please let us know?

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
That's a great combo; excellent lights. I've been using the previous version of your headlamp, the H52Fw, as my backpacking light for ~9 years. If I thought there was something better, I'd have it, but the H52Fw is about perfect.
I'd have to reprogram a H53, as L1 is so low, and that's what I use the most outdoors, but the H53Fw would definitely be my choice among current headlamps.

As far as hiking, the H600w(or the F version) I bought for hardhat use would get my vote only for long, fast night hikes where the runtime at higher output would be an advantage. Pointless for regular camping or backpacking, IMO. I have a few acquaintances that use them for caving, though

I've done 4 weeklong trips for backpacking this year, and never needed to change batteries in the H52Fw during one. Could have done all 4 trips on 1 battery charge, for that matter.
Lately I've been using a USB rechargeable AA in it, anyway. Now, if the need should ever arise, I can charge it up with my power banks.
Sorry I'm late & thanks for your reply as I wasn't really expecting any. Good news about your H52Fw. I just cancelled a campout/light hike opportunity due to a schedule conflict, but should have another opportunity next month. For most of my outings I don't plan on bringing any more than one spare eleloop pro AA for the H53fw, and based on your assessment may not even need that which would be great.

Also, thanks for the enlightenment on USB rechargeable AA - I never knew they existed. Might be nice to have a four pack handy just in case. Is there a preferred brand?

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion the H series lights also work great for EDC with the clip... I carry mine clipped to the top of my left (cell phone) pocket all the time. The right angle makes it a great little "work light" that can be aimed at the task. It also makes a great night-stand light with the super low modes.

You could get a cheap holster for the SC64... I have one for the 62 I keep in my glove box. Someone here will need to point you to the current best option. I could actually use another for my SC64, so can someone please let us know?
Thanks for your reply. I've had so much fun carrying the SC64w Hi that I'm afraid I've left the H53fw behind waiting to use it as a headlamp on a campout/hike. You have encouraged me to try switching them around & use the H53fw as an EDC. I love the super low modes on both lights, but find the low on the H53fw just a little too low for any extended reading.

josekym

Newly Enlightened
* SC64w Hi: ... The power button is a tad spongier (as though there's some space between the boot and the switch) than the H53fw, but it works perfectly well...

Welcome and congrats on your Zebras. :)

For me, I observe that the Zebra rubber switchboots are firm when new, but they become slightly spongy after some use (i.e. you can feel a slight gap develop between the rubber and the switch button underneath). I think these are normal wear for the kind of rubber being used.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Welcome and congrats on your Zebras. :)

For me, I observe that the Zebra rubber switchboots are firm when new, but they become slightly spongy after some use (i.e. you can feel a slight gap develop between the rubber and the switch button underneath). I think these are normal wear for the kind of rubber being used.
Thanks, I'm fully appreciating both Zebralight models.

Yes I probably wouldn't have even noticed the slight gap between the boot and the switch on the SC64w Hi had I not compared it side-by-side with the H53Fw which feels like the boot is resting directly on top of the switch, i.e., absolutely no felt gap at all. I may have been over picky by even mentioning it at all because it presents absolutely no impediment to the operation of the flashlight.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Thanks for your reply. I've had so much fun carrying the SC64w Hi that I'm afraid I've left the H53fw behind waiting to use it as a headlamp on a campout/hike. You have encouraged me to try switching them around & use the H53fw as an EDC. I love the super low modes on both lights, but find the low on the H53fw just a little too low for any extended reading.

There are several different Low modes (keep double clicking)... I would think one is suitable for reading.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
True, but the brightest Low on the H53fw is 1.2 Lm:
  • Low: L1 1.2 Lm (13 days) or L2 0.3 Lm (1.1 month) / 0.06 Lm (2.2 months) / 0.01 Lm (3.3 months)
Wish it were closer to the highest low on the SC64w Hi which is 2.7 Lm:
  • Low: L1 2.7 Lm (18.5 days) or L2 0.86 Lm (1.5 months)/0.24 Lm (3 months)/0.06 Lm (4 months)
The next available step up in brightness from Low L1 on the H53fw would be 4 Lm:
  • Medium: M1 63 Lm (8.5 hrs) or M2 29Lm (21 hrs) / 12 Lm (41 hrs) / 4 Lm (4.5 days

I think I'm reading these correct.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I would think the 4Lm Medium on the Fw would be similar, lux-wise, to the 2.7Lm on the HI... due to the frosted lens.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
I would think the 4Lm Medium on the Fw would be similar, lux-wise, to the 2.7Lm on the HI... due to the frosted lens.
You're probably right. The only way I'll know for sure is to try it. I used 2.7 Lm from the SC64w Hi as a reference point since it was handy. I can read with 1.2 Lm but not comfortably for any length of time. Now all I need to do is find my instructions on how to get there 😁

holygeez03

Enlightened
You're probably right. The only way I'll know for sure is to try it. I used 2.7 Lm from the SC64w Hi as a reference point since it was handy. I can read with 1.2 Lm but not comfortably for any length of time. Now all I need to do is find my instructions on how to get there 😁
Hold switch until you're in Medium... then keep double-clicking.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Thanks but I'm thinking that I don't want to change any settings in the G5 mode with the "2" levels (H2, M2, L2) so nicely spaced, but am planning on doing something like this: G5 mode stays as it is in Hi mode, G6 mode relegated to Medium (H1=267 Lm, H2=192 Lm, M1=29 Lm, M2=12 Lm, L1=0.3 Lm, L2=0.06 Lm), and G7 mode relegated to Low (H1=192 Lm, H2=119 Lm, M1=12 Lm, M2= 4 Lm, L1=0.06 Lm, L2=0.01 LM).

I fiddled with this today but didn't get anywhere. I did learn that G6 and G7 initially share the same settings as G5. When I attempt to program a level setting in G6 I seem to be missing something. I do the 6 clicks to get into G6 mode, then click on the mode I wish to change, (H1 for example), then double click 6 times to get into the program mode. This worked once, but it seems to have lowered all three "1" levels (H1, M1, L1) at the same time & I'm having difficulty setting each "1" level individually. From off I did 6 clicks three times to re-set G6 mode to the factory default settings then had to quit but hope to get back on it later.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
Well, either I did/am doing something wrong, or else there is a problem with the headlamp because I cannot enter the programming mode from any location.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, try this:

• Three consecutive 5-click (or 6-click, 7-click) to reset the G5 (or G6, G7) back to the factory default settings
followed by a battery removal for one minute.

edit, added:
  1. If needed, use 15, 18, and 21 clicks from Off, to reset to the factory default settings of the G5, G6, and G7 UI groups.