HEADLAMP SUITABLE FOR FISHING AND GENERAL USE

matatak

Newly Enlightened
hello all ,
I am new to the site and was hoping to get some advice on a headlamp suitable for fishing and camping ....I am in Australia and would be using it on dusk for fishing / getting back to the car from the river /using around camp / working on my car etc . I have done quite a bit of research however I am unable to come up with what want . I have looked at the black diamond revolt and was turned off by a review that said they were uncomfortable to wear for long periods plus having to modify non black diamond rechargeable batteries to enable them to be charged . I was also looking at the zebralights but none of them seem to have a red light . I dont want to shine a bright light into the water when I am fishing as it scares the trout away :mecry:

These are the things I am trying to cover
* light weight and comfortable
* reasonably long battery life ( say 4-6 hours )
* rechargeable via USB
* no rear battery pack / self contained
* headband does not really matter , would rather not have the strap over the top of my head if possible but not a deal breaker
* red light for preserving night vision
* does not need to be super bright / just good light

I tried searching previous threads about this but the earliest ones I could find were 2010 . Can anyone with more knowledge than me suggest something good quality without a massive price tag ?
Thanks in advance Matt

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Hiya Matt. If you don't need loads of power then petzl e-lite might be the one. It's easily switchable between white and red light, and you can also make it come on in red.

Zebralight do make a dedicated red light, however I can't remember the model..but it is on their site.

Other than that, rear battery Fenix's might be an option for more power. But...rear battery...sorry...

Edit...just thought of Fenix HL35....

I can't think of any USB rechargeable ones though.

Last edited:

Szemhazai

Enlightened
I think that Petzl TIKKA R+ might be a good choice for you.

tikka_r_rxp_catalogue_photo.jpg

It is USB rechargeable, light, compact, programmable, have red light...

matatak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys i appreciate the replies . Can anyone who currently owns one comment on the battery life of the petzl r + ?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I will add that UV LEDs and even some blu LEDs can fluoresce fishing line making it easier to see in the dark if that helps any.

matatak

Newly Enlightened
Ended up going for the petzl reactik + , seems like a pretty good light . Not the cheapest but the best all round for my needs with comfort and weight . Thanks again for the replies