Help replacint hard drive on IBM T23

mrsinbad

Enlightened
This is my Thanksgiving Day project and I have all the screws taken out including the ones underneath the little black oval tapes. I have the keyboard and lower half separated but I feel there is still significant resistance around the area under the spacebar on eitherside of the spacebar.

What am I missing? Are there another couple of screws that I don't see?
Do I need to pop of a couple of keys to get to these screws?
Do I just need to apply more force, but I'm afraid of cracking the area near the keyboard.

Thanks for your help.

paulr

Flashaholic
I dunno specifically about the T23, but I've had many Thinkpads of different models and it should NOT be hard to get the drive out. As Abtomat mentions, the hardware maintenance manuals (HMM) are online. The drive should be in a little caddy that comes out easily after removing a screw or two. You will have to remove a couple more screws to get the drive out of the caddy, and sometimes the drive is stuck in the caddy with double sided sticky tape (lowers vibration), but popping it loose is no big deal.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Older ones could be a bear to work on. Drives or some boards were hidden under other parts, covered with adhesive plastic sheets. Usually under the keyboard.

I don't think the T23 is too hard. The drive pulls out from somewhere inconspicuous with a little clippy thing. Never worked on one, though.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look for the maintenance manuals and post a question on the thinkpad site. I appreciate the quick response. Thanks again.