Me, my buddy's, Silvia, and my SL 4AA Luxeon. Enjoy!

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
The journey began last night at about 11:30 PM. I was standing on the beach with a couple of friends enjoying a 24. of Miller light. It was cold and dark, and the ocean fog was shrouding the coastline like a blanket. It began to get a little bit too cold to merely stand on the sand and ponder the meaning of life, so we decided to do something adventurous and get away from the coastal life for a night. What we didn't realize is how far the journey would take us.

We hopped in Silvia, my 2004 CD Silver Focus SVT. The seats felt up to the challenge, and provided a nice supply of *** heat from the Recaro leather of the European appearance package. The intent of our journey was to get as far away from city lights as we possibly could in order to witness the intense Meteor Shower that is happening this weekend. As we headed north, the 5 freeway began to curve east of the coast a little bit, and there was a distinct line between clear dark sky's on the freeway, and the thick menacing fog covering the very edge of the Pacific Ocean.

We headed eastward on the 78 freeway, through the city of Vista, San marcos, Escondido and finally, after about 40 minutes of driving, we arrived in Ramona. For those of you who are not familiar with southern california, We go from Ocean to city/suburb to farm land in no time at all. I did not feel like stopping though. I was ready for the journey! As we plowed through the town of Ramona, we started to elevate a little bit into the mountains. Before I knew it, it was 1 AM and I was climbing into the 4500 foot Julian mountains. My HID headlights were doing a beautiful job of lighting the whole mountainside with white and purple, and keeping Silvia glued to the road. The curves started to get sharper and sharper, and I found myself downshifting to power out of the turns. My car felt at home on these sharp turns, as that is where it outperforms cars with badges much, much more expensive (corvette Z06, Porsche 911).

So we made it to Julian, and I decided to stop for a second to take a ****. I stopped at an old abandoned gas station and hopped out of the car and it was FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!! There was NO NOISE coming from anywhere, except the distinct sound of a chain bouncing off a metal pole in the distance. I have never felt more like I was about to be involved in some crazy texas chainsaw massacre movie in my whole life!! So we quickly moved on. We headed east and down out of the mountains. After another 30 miles of windy backroads filled with treturous drop offs and sharp hairpin turns, we came down the mountainside and into the anza borrego desert. I drove for a while longer and we came across a clear spot on the side of the road.

Well, we hopped out and as soon as I looked up, I saw a HUGE METEOR with a massive tail go flying across the sky. Followed by another one, and a few more throughout the next few minutes. The stars were so bright I could not even make out the distinctive shape of the constellations.

Now, I am sure you have all been wondering what this has to do with flashlights. I will tell you. I got my Streamlight Propoly 4AA luxeon yesterday. Everytime I stopped my car and hopped out, it came with me! When we got to the desert, my headlights were lighting up a huge section, but as soon as I turned them off, it was pitch black. There were NO CITY LIGHTS, there were no AIRPLANE LIGHTS, there were no street lights!! It was literally pitch black. And the eeriest thing about it, was that it was dead SILENT. There was no noise coming from any direction and no wind blowing. I pulled out a cigarette and lit it up.

I busted out the SL 4AA and hit the switch. The sidespill lit up the entire roadside and across the road there was a 40 foot wide spill beam lighting up the bushes well enough that nothing could hide. The hotspot on the SL lit up every plant for as far as I could see down the road. There was an occasional pair of gleeming eyes coming from the bush's, but more than likely it was just a coyote or rabbit or fox wondering what we were doing in its territory. I turned on the SL for a little while longer to make sure everything was good and then it was lights out for some more meteor gazing.

We left the desert at 3:00 AM and headed back up into the mountains. I was getting tired at this point so I had to stop at a gas station and get some coffee which quickly woke me up again. I drove the rest of the way, and as the sun was rising over the mountains in the east which I had just driven out of, I arrived back on the coast of california, in the beautiful city of Del Mar, where I work. My friends hopped out and went to their respective cars, and I drove home. I was in bed by 6:45 AM.

My streamlight proved to me the quality that the company puts into their lights. I could not have asked for a better light for the situation. It was bright enough to light up anything in my viscinity, but it was also calm enough to not ruin our night visions. I knew that I had 4 hours of battery life left on the common household AA batteries...the same one's that power my garage door opener and various other appliances I have in my car. I can not recommend this awesome light enough!!! GET ONE TODAY. And if you can, test drive an SVT Focus. You won't find a better vehicle for ANY SITUATION. This car is seriously up to any challenge. It's fast, it's agile and it is sooo comfortable.

I love living in southern california. I can't think of very many places where you can stand on the ocean sand shrouded in fog, drive an hour and a half and be damn near a mile in elevation, drive another hour and be in the cool calm flat desolate cactus filled desert!

Some day I plan on Surfing, Snowboarding and Sandboarding all in the same day. I will get it on camera when I do it so you all will believe me :)

The End.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I got that SL model just a few days ago! :grin2:

As for the SVT Focus, I know how to drive Stick; but I prefer an automatic. (Don't hate me).

Can't figure out why the various car companies won't introduce an automatic version of their high-performing, compact cars. :thinking:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
alaskawolf said:
svt focus beating Z06's lol

nice story any how

High-performance car doesn't mean much if the driver misses a shift. :laughing:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Thanks, it was a good time to test it in the wild and a good time all in all.

alaskawolf said:
svt focus beating Z06's lol

nice story any how

Thanks it took me a long time to write, but i'm at work and it's boring around here!! Z06 owns SVT focus in E V E R Y category....except the SLALOM. Where the SVTF posted a faster time by a decent amount...my car loves S curves :)

alaskawolf

Enlightened
though the svt focus is an excellent handler it hardly beats a Z06 on the slalom by a decent amount, and it takes more than just a slalom to out handle a car.

the mazdaspeed protoge out slaloms and acclerates the svt focus but it doesnt beat a Z06 either around a road course

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Honda Fit Sport can change lanes faster than a Z06 too, but that doesn't mean it's a high performance car.

Narrow cars have a decided advantage in a slalom for the same reason motorcycles do: they don't have to turn as far to dodge the cones. And at 2800lbs the SVT is shockingly close to the weight of a Z06 at 3100lbs, and the Z06 has 4" wider tires plus 3x the horsepower.

BTW Ford hasn't sold the SVT Focus in years.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
If you want handling in corners, try a classic mini cooper, only thing sticking better to the road is the tarmac itself :naughty:

But I do admit, while acceleration is pretty dood, it seriously lacks top speed... (not that you need that on bendy roads...)

oh, and great story by the way!

Last edited:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
haha thanks everyone. Even if the Z06 out paces my car in every way shape or manner, I am still impressed with the way my 14,000 dollar SVTF takes to the road. If I were out of college and had a decent amount of money to spend on a nice car you KNOW I would buy something badass....maybe start with an S2000 and work my way up gradually. I will keep the SVT for the rest of my life though, especially since it's one of only 68 Silver EAP ZX3 SVTs EVER made in 2004. The car had a good run, but it's too bad people weren't more interested or else maybe SVT would still be around :(

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Yeah seriously. The SVT is basically the same as the ST170 model...but the RS and cosworth model's are seriously quick cars. They are solid too! I think Ford America hates...welll...hates america!

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Thanks for taking us on your journey with us!

It was very well written and most enjoyable.

All My Best,
John

bitslammer

Enlightened
Great story with 1 MAJOR flaw...

Ilikeshinythings said:
The journey began last night at about 11:30 PM. I was standing on the beach with a couple of friends enjoying a 24. of Miller light.

Your taste in good flashlights does not "spill" over to good beer. Can that stuff really be enjoyed??? :laughing: Tolerated maybe....

IN any case I'm envious. I didn't get any clear skies this year for any of the meteor showers.

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
bitslammer said:
Great story with 1 MARJOR flaw...

Your taste in good flashlights does not "spill" over to good beer. Can that stuff really be enjoyed??? :laughing: Tolerated maybe....

That reminds me of a joke...

Q: What do American beer and sex in a boat have in common??
A: Both f#ck!n' close to water!

While we have some very good beers here in the Netherlands (with Heineken being one of the lesser ones) and our neighbours germany and especially belgium produce some very fine beers, we hardly have any places to escape from light-pollution to see a nice meteor shower :(

wanna trade??

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
lol, beer is another one of my hobby's along with flashlights and foci!

I frequent beverages and more and I have had some really good imported beers..I think one was from the netherlands, maybe it was called Chimay? I can't remember. Either way, I had drank a "Stone double *******" before I drank the dirty water beer. Most of you will never have the chance to try a Double ******* Ale, but if you ever come to san diego, visit the stone brewery!!!