Light bulb collections

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering! Anyone here have a collection?

Last edited:

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is there a name for light bulb collecting?

Well let me start off then - this is a display of 4 different types of HID - commonly found in street lighting. From left to right they are mercury vapor, metal halide, high pressure sodium, low pressure sodium, of various wattages. I'll post more types if there is any interest.

Dean
2wny4j5.jpg

Macaw

Enlightened

That's really a cool display Achilleus! Thanks for posting it. I only collect flashlights myself.

JanCPF

Enlightened

This is cool. Please post some more if you got.

Anybody have spectrum graphs on these kinds of bulbs. I really have no idea if they are spikey or smooth. Am I right in assuming, that mercury vapor is the whitest (closest to 5600K) followed by metal halide?

Jan

Last edited:

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened

Thanks! The specturm of the low pressure sodium is basically one yellow line (actually two very close together) - the same color you get when you throw salt into a flame. Absolutely everything under that light looks the same color, which is why its quite difficult to find your car in the UK sometimes:)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darkness Sucker ?

Illuminatrix

Luminaire

Luminary

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Achilleus said:
Well let me start off then - this is a display of 4 different types of HID - commonly found in street lighting. From left to right they are mercury vapor, metal halide, high pressure sodium, low pressure sodium, of various wattages. I'll post more types if there is any interest.

Very nice!

Any problems running that LPS base down?
You always see them in horizontal operation here and after reading here , I'm curious.

I do collect some lamps, but I haven't put them on display as beautiful as you have. My collection only covers newer ceramic metal halide, HPS and WhiteSON lamps. I'm trying to get hold of an induction lamp as well.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

... Bulbophobic...

Achilleus, is that your nightstand in your bedroom?? :aaa: :candle: :sleepy: :candle:

EDIT: Can someone make me a smilie holding a 40,000 lumens HMI-bulb ??

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened

winny said:
Very nice!

Any problems running that LPS base down?
You always see them in horizontal operation here and after reading here , I'm curious.

I do collect some lamps, but I haven't put them on display as beautiful as you have. My collection only covers newer ceramic metal halide, HPS and WhiteSON lamps. I'm trying to get hold of an induction lamp as well.

No problems with mine yet, although it is an older type, not like that one you linked to. There might be a problem if the sodium condensed onto the filament, but when I watch it the sodium always seems to stay on the glass. There is a little shield over the filament too.

Are the induction lamps out yet?

(ps do you leave those window lights on when you go out? I only ask because MH's can blow and that hot quartz would be a real fire hazard if you were not around. Great display though!)

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Achilleus,

Does it have a filament? :huh2:

Anyway, what does the wife/girlfriend say about your "little" display? :)

Yes, Philips have been selling them since 1992. I've seen one eBay action with one, but I missed it. Quite cool with 100 khours lifetime.

I don't leave it on, ever. I do especially not run it with open windows because of the explosion risk with any incoming water hitting the hot glass.

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened

It has a filament in the same way the a fluorescent tube does - a source of electrons for the discharge. I think it does anyway (at work right now)!

UVIR

Newly Enlightened

JanCPF said:
This is cool. Please post some more if you got.

Anybody have spectrum graphs on these kinds of bulbs. I really have no idea if they are spikey or smooth. Am I right in assuming, that mercury vapor is the whitest (closest to 5600K) followed by metal halide?

Jan

Check this collection of spectra of various light sources out:

http://ioannis.virtualcomposer2000.com/spectroscope/amici.html#colorphotos

I think this is the same guy whose collection is shown later.

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened

This is my brightest and most powerful bulb, and also my largest! These are stadium bulbs. The box and cooling system I built to contain the enormous balast, total weight around 50 lb.

2vsgu1z.jpg

49jk8pl.jpg

2n8a9tl.jpg

43crgnn.jpg

Dean

Description:M1500U/3K
Watts:1500
Average Life Hours:3,000
Initial Lumens:165000
Base Type:E39 Mogul Screw
Finish:Clear
Kelvin:3000
CRI:65
MOL:15.25 in. (387.35 mm.)
Diameter:7.00 in. (177.80 mm.)

Last edited:

Achilleus

Newly Enlightened

And these are the bulbs I use around the house for low level night lighting (so my kids don't fall over in the night). I have about 20 of them positioned around the house, they are only 1 W each so they get left on all the time. The bulbs are from exit lamps, and Lowes had a good deal on them once, although they are normally $18 a pair.

Of course, the house does look like a scene from some kind of horror movie!

Dean

4dfcu54.jpg

47do0mu.jpg

4brjkgx.jpg

2rn9e9k.jpg

44i66fq.jpg

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

Achilleus said:
And these are the bulbs I use around the house for low level night lighting (so my kids don't fall over in the night). I have about 20 of them positioned around the house, they are only 1 W each so they get left on all the time. The bulbs are from exit lamps, and Lowes had a good deal on them once, although they are normally $18 a pair.

Of course, the house does look like a scene from some kind of horror movie!

Dean
Interesting. Last time I went into Home Depot I saw they had about 10,000 packages of LED night lights on the shelf -- 6 for $5, .25W each with an automatic photocell. Don't know if they're any good, but I'm tempted to buy a few, and if they don't work out, gut them for the spare parts.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I have a collection of CFLs. A lot of Asian stores we shop at pass some of these out if you purchase more than $40 worth of groceries. The Buffalo, MaxLite, Top-Lite, Sunpark, and the 100 watt output Greenlite were all given out by Asian grocery stores. I bought the two Philips Dimmables and the 4 pack of Greenlite 75 watt output bulbs at BigLots. The old GE magnetic ballast was from WalMart

CFLs.jpg