MII Flashcam Falshlight/Videocamer/NVG

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grab, eyeeatingfish.

This is one of the most interesting flashlights I've heard of. In 2005 some former military security guys turned private sector LEOs told me about it after attending a special conference. They were thoroughly impressed with the demo.

That thing is running 3, 5watt Luxeon LEDs with manual brightness control.

It is taking advantage of known technologies. You know how a black and white security cam can pick up the IR code from your TV remotes using the charged coupled device? Same kinda deal just stronger infrared LEDs are being used.

It can switch from color/day to B&W/night so it can record at night in color mode using the big 5 watters or stealthily in black and white using the IR LEDs.

It's got a 1.5 gig mini hard drive in it to record about an hour of video.

For documentation purposes it has a laser pointer in it.

Here's your camera specs:

Image Sensor: Sony 1/3" CCD - Dual Color / Black and White Cameras
Minimum Illumination: 0.008 Lux
Sync System: Internal/External
Resolution: 480 TV Lines Day and Night
Number of Pixels: 768(H) X 494(V)
Lens: 5.0mm
Power Supply: 12V DC

I've read that the client list now includes the FBI, the U.S. Army, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Marine Corp, U.S. Navy and the New York City Port Authority.

Future development may include close range remote video and audio transmission.

This is a serious flashlight.

- Jeff

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
does it make coffee?:thinking: :laughing:

I have never seen that flashlight but I think that 1500.00$ is an appropriate price...(IMO)

defusion

Enlightened
proper nvg's usually cost way more then that. so don't expect to much video quality out of it.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grab, eyeeatingfish.

This is one of the most interesting flashlights I've heard of. In 2005 some former military security guys turned private sector LEOs told me about it after attending a special conference. They were thoroughly impressed with the demo.

That thing is running 3, 5watt Luxeon LEDs with manual brightness control.

It is taking advantage of known technologies. You know how a black and white security cam can pick up the IR code from your TV remotes using the charged coupled device? Same kinda deal just stronger infrared LEDs are being used.

It can switch from color/day to B&W/night so it can record at night in color mode using the big 5 watters or stealthily in black and white using the IR LEDs.

It's got a 1.5 gig mini hard drive in it to record about an hour of video.

For documentation purposes it has a laser pointer in it.

Here's your camera specs:

Image Sensor: Sony 1/3" CCD - Dual Color / Black and White Cameras
Minimum Illumination: 0.008 Lux
Sync System: Internal/External
Resolution: 480 TV Lines Day and Night
Number of Pixels: 768(H) X 494(V)
Lens: 5.0mm
Power Supply: 12V DC

I've read that the client list now includes the FBI, the U.S. Army, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Marine Corp, U.S. Navy and the New York City Port Authority.

Future development may include close range remote video and audio transmission.

This is a serious flashlight.

- Jeff
I rescind my previous comment. :twothumbs

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
defusion -

I think some logic is escaping me. NVG and video are two distinct systems. That an excellent NVG would be several thousands of dollars isn't really a comparison point to a good video system. I'm guessing that because a B&W cam depending on IR as the input could not compete with a proper NVG as input that the vid quality could not be nearly as good? I've never seen a video from the MII Flashcam. I did, just last week, get to try out a high end NVG goggle with IR laser. It's really hard to believe how well they work in almost zero light. This was an $8000.00 system. I need more money.

Again I'm probably missing some logic. Your posts are always logical and informative.

LukeA -

You could still be right about low quality video. I don't know much about it. That's why I posted the specs so you guys that know about stuff like that could tell us what might be expected. With the lens being only 5mm I wouldn't think it would be that great but I just don't know. I think the asking price is more like $2700.00 but eyeeatingfish found the manufacturer's site which quotes the much lower price.

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
defusion -

I think some logic is escaping me. NVG and video are two distinct systems. That an excellent NVG would be several thousands of dollars isn't really a comparison point to a good video system. I'm guessing that because a B&W cam depending on IR as the input could not compete with a proper NVG as input that the vid quality could not be nearly as good? I've never seen a video from the MII Flashcam. I did, just last week, get to try out a high end NVG goggle with IR laser. It's really hard to believe how well they work in almost zero light. This was an $8000.00 system. I need more money.

Again I'm probably missing some logic. Your posts are always logical and informative.
i meant the video quality while using it with built-in NVG. the normal video cam inside might be fairly good. they don't cost much these days.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Ive seen handheld video cameras with night vision modes. They arent super good but surprisingly decent at close range!

I dont expect the video recording ability to be super good on either type f video ercording. Memory like that doesnt write really fast when compared to normal video tape, so the image may be jerky.
However sometimes you dont need a real detailed image, just a blury image showing the bad guy raised his hand with a gun is enough to clear the police officer of wrong doing. Or heck a traffic stop with a woman who later claims she was solcited by the officer, you dont need a good picture on that either.

I am kind of tempted to get one. Though a 50 dollar pocket recorder would be able to perform some of the same ability in reguards to proving officers innocent.
However, having the suspect be recorded on an interview while the suspect doesnt know it, because the flashlight doesnt look like a camera, thats a very good thing.
That aspect may provide for some constitutionality issues in some states though. It shouldnt where i live, unless the officer leaves the flashlight alone with the suspect. (You cant leave a recording device somewhere to record without a warrant.)

Wyreless

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is 7 or so years old but I must add that bought this exact light off WOOT! for $80. Its one helluva weapon. I would buy it again at that price because of what it is, but the lighting is old school.