Fire Fox FF-5(4300K) Beam-shots. This thing is a monster !!!

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is photo overload of the New Fire Fox FF5. I love this thing. Few things to confirm. I did a ceiling bounce test vs a measured 5200 lumen SBT90 light(K1vn90) and the FF5 does over 40% more output on high. I also did a ceiling bounce test with a light with three xhp50.2 leds(fw21vn) that does 9400 lumens. Got 93 lux with the FW21vn and 105 with the FF5. These numbers are only relative to eachother. also beam shape and tint differences could be throwing it off so take it with a grain of salt. I dont think they are that far off because the FF5 is ridiculously bright. I also measured Throw. I got 1.60 mcd with the K75vn and 1.2 MCD with the FF5 on high which is over spec. I got 440kcd on the Low 42W mode.

I did a test to find out how long it takes to step down automatically on high. It stepped down to low 42W mode at 6 minutes. the head temp started at 75F and when it stepped down it was 117F. I think that is phenomenal performance !!!
ff57 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

ff55 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

ff53 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

ff54 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

ff5 6 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

ff5 4 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(42W mode)

ff5 sky low by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(100W mode)
ff5 sky high by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(42W mode)
ff5 low near tree by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(100W mode)
ff5 high near tree by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(42W mode)
ff5 low across the road by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(100W mode)
ff5 high across the road by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(42W mode)
ff5 far tree low by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(100W mode)
ff5 far tree high corrected beam angle by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(This next pair is a locked exposure shot vs the K75vn90) the camera was still thrown off by the tint difference a bit but its close
ff5 high near tree VS by Alex Littig, on Flickr
VS k75vn high near tree by Alex Littig, on Flickr

low mode and high dont seam that different because the camera was auto adjusting the exposure. when i have a better area to take beamshots and more time ill dial in the camera settings more.

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fire Fox FF-5 Beam-shots. This thing is a monster !!!

Ten thousand @ 1.2mcd? That's crazy!

Fire-Foxes lights, like my FF4, was also underspec, a very uncommon thing in the flashlight world.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Honestly the 100w mode is overkill. The 42W mode is perfect. Still very bright and over 400 kcd. Also heat really isn't as much of an issue as i figured it would be. Used it for 10-15 minutes going back and forth between low and high and was only warm at the end of it.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Awesome feedback and shots! Thanks!

Overkill is not in my vocabulary! LOL!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fire Fox FF-5 Beam-shots. This thing is a monster !!!

I actually really like the beam profile, a lot more than that of the led light.

How annoying is the time gap between switch on and going full throttle?

Also do you like the tint? Does it separate colors well?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually really like the beam profile, a lot more than that of the led light.

How annoying is the time gap between switch on and going full throttle?

Also do you like the tint? Does it separate colors well?

It separate colors very well. I have the 4300k version and while using it last night, the browns and yellows of the trees and grass was the very first thing I noticed. I like the beam profile also. Very intense hotspot that gradually fades out and just enough spill to light up your near field of vision but not too bright to overpower your eyes when looking down range.

The warm up time isn't annoying at all. For me at least. I enjoy that part of the light in particular for some reason. A bit of theater I guess. Yeah, it's definitely not as convenient as an LED with instant on/off, so don't expect to be able to cycle the light often while playing with it. Probably would reduce the bulb life significantly.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the status lights on the battery carrier is also a power indicator? Is it just green to indicate that the power is on, or does it change colors to indicate how much battery life is left? I guess I could just run the batteries down to find out.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the status lights on the battery carrier is also a power indicator? Is it just green to indicate that the power is on, or does it change colors to indicate how much battery life is left? I guess I could just run the batteries down to find out.

i think its just a power indicator

Magio

Enlightened

Nice beam shots! So can it run continuously on high mode? I know the FF4 steps down after like 2 mins and the light must be switched off before high mode can be selected again.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice beam shots! So can it run continuously on high mode? I know the FF4 steps down after like 2 mins and the light must be switched off before high mode can be selected again.

Later I will time how long it will stay in high move before step down. So far I haven't even got it to be hot yet. Just warm after switching from high to low for about 10 minutes.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the Beamshots....always appreciated! I'm assuming yours is the 6000K? Hopefully someone post some 4300K shots to compare.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok i just did a test to find out how long it takes to step down automatically on high. It stepped down to low 42W mode at 6 minutes. the head temp started at 75F and when it stepped down it was 117F. I think that is phenomenal performance !!!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think its just a power indicator

As LuxLuthor stated, from all I could ever tell on my FF3/FF4 lights is that it was just a power indicator. But a very good thing to have on a battery carrier with a clicky switch.

bulbmogul

Enlightened

Can we buy these here in the States..? looks really nice for the price... WOW

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

FFs' 4300k HID is a thing of beauty. Glorious tint, "incandescently but not so yellowish" if l have to describe a word for it.

The smooth, gradual transition from hotspot to spill is something rare in led lights.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Xeray warned about the un-encapsulated bulb putting out UV light. Someone mentioned to me that the lens itself was supposed to block the UV. I tested it out and that does not seem to be the case. Unless if for some reason the lens is selective about 365nm wavelength specifically, I don't think it's blocking anything.

qrpvfHN.jpg

Last edited: