Closed.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Re: Would an aspheric lens in a Thrunite Catapult V6 increase throw?

Along the same lines, has a catapult been made with white 1 or 2?

pc_light

Enlightened

I've tried asking elsewhere with no response so figured I would try here.

Does anyone know if an aspheric lens would increase throw quite a bit in a Thrunite Catapult V6, and if so what size would I need?

thanks in advance.
Hmm, sounds like something worth trying, in any event it might look something like this -

VwfadE2.jpg

XwkmTpo.jpg

:faint: That's not a working light, so don't get excited. Your question got me thinking, and since I have an aspheric lens about that size from an old Deerelight I just plopped it on top of the Cat 6 lens to see what would happen.

I didn't take any beam shots but from what I could tell the beam was starting to collimated. If one were to get the focus just right I could see the hotspot being very tight. The picture from the front shows how the LED was starting to come into focus. That image is misleading though because that's not an XHP35, that's actually an XHP50.2 that I modded in.

FWIW, the Cat 6 lens I believe is approximately 52mm diameter. Good luck with your search and do post if you decide to try.

busseguy

Enlightened

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened

What do you mean by collimated? I'm not up on flashlight speak I guess. LoL

would you mind removing the stock lens and tell me how well the aspheric fits?

if not no big deal.

thanks.
I meant that the beam didn't quite come into the proper focus, it was a bit of a soft hotspot with a slight halo, and less spill overall. The lens would need to sit closer to the LED for a tighter spot, but exactly how much lower would require some fiddling.

There's no need to remove the lens to check for fit, that particular aspheric (~46mm dome diameter, ~50mm overall diameter) sat directly on the existing lens because it was the same diameter as the current opening. The existing bezel ring would not be able to hold the aspheric in place since there would be no rim for the bezel ring to hold. That's the reason I estimately the oem lens to be 52mm.

My suggestion would be an aspheric with a 50mm or smaller dome diameter with 52mm overall outer rim diameter. Does this make sense?

Frankly, I found the Cat 6 in original form too tight which is why I went the other direction with a larger sized emitter and hence larger hotspot.;)

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened

Just now noticed that ths question was both double posted from the LED sub-forum and incorrectly posted on Vinh's sub-forum, my apologies. I just responded to the post off of the Front page without noticing the sub-forum where it was posted until now.

Busseguy, let's take it back to the other (LED) thread.

Over and out.

Last edited: