Review - Kingpower K2 (with Video Review)

lukestephens777

Enlightened
Mods - For submission in the Reviews forum

Hi fellow CPF'ers, I'm trying my hand at my first review. Please go easy on me, as this is my first attempt, so I hope I cover most things. J
I would usually use my excellent Nikon DSLR to take some photos, but as my brother has currently borrowed the camera on an extended 'loan' I've decided to do a video review, using my camera phone.

Click the Link below to watch my video review...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKBEiALQ4BU - And it's up!!

Here are my written thoughts.

Kingpower is a new manufacturer who contacted me, asking if I would do a review of one of their new models: The Kingpower K2.

Main Specs
Cree Q5 LED based torch
Aircraft grade aluminium body
Hard Anodized finish
Takes 2 x AA batteries (Alkaline or NiMH)
Crenelated Bezel
AR Coated glass lense
Special designed Reflector which maximizes throw
Power: 88 Lumens/6 Lumens/180 Lumens/Strobe
Burn time: 5.5 hours/120 hours/2.2 hours
Lamp: one 3W Cree Q5 LED
Battery: 2 AA size batteries
Length151mm
Diameter
Weight: 100g (except batteries)

Packaging
The K2 came in a fairly simple greenish coloured box, with some specs and information on the outside. Upon opening the box, I was greeted with gold coloured silk material holding the torch and belt holster. This was perhaps one of the fanciest looking boxes I have ever seen. But as the manufacturer is known as Kingpower, it seemed quite fitting. Also in the box, was a spare parts pack, containing o rings, tail cap and lanyard.

Fit and Finish
Upon picking up the K2, it becomes immediately apparent just how solid the torch is. The battery tube walls are probably 2-3 mm thick, which is quite nice to see. However this doesn't make the Torch feel too heavy at all, it feels like a good weight. When you hold the Torch in your hand it feels quite balanced, with the hexagonal battery tube providing good grip. The Torch head and tailcap are both squared off, which stops the light rolling away.
The Torch is hard anodized, with a nice matt finish, which adds to the grippy feeling. My sample had perfectly consistent anodizing on all parts of the light. Kingpower say the light has a 60 micron coating, I'm not sure if this is a lot or a little, but it does look very good.
The Torch uses a regular Reverse Clicky recessed within the tailcap, this allows the light to tail stand perfectly. When the clicky is pressed, it makes a very definite audible 'click'. So if you're like me and the only thing tactical you do is planning a midnight fridge raid, this might give you away. The bezel is crenelated , with a series of 6 slots. The bezel coupled with the beefy build of the light, makes it feel quite reassuring. If the light is left turned on, the crenellation also serves to allow the user to notice the light has been left on.
The head houses the Cree Q5 LED, coupled with a smooth aluminium reflector and AR coated glass lense.

Operation
The K2 has four output modes (In this order): Medium, Low, High and Strobe. I personally like this order, as for me Medium is the mode I use most of the time. The four modes just loop through, by soft pressing the rear clicky. The torch doesn't have mode memory, which I think could have been quite a handy feature.

Output
The output of the K2 is very good. The manufacturer claims around 180 lumens on high. I compared the K2 to my Novatac 120P on the 120 Lumen setting. I tried this as a ceiling bounce test, as the novatac has a different beam profile. 180 lumens wouldn't be too far off, with my estimations around 160-180 lumens. It's hard to tell. I couldn't see any PWM flicker at all.

Beam Profile
The K2 uses a smooth reflector, which is almost becoming a rarity on newer Cree based lights. I was expecting a very ringy beam, but was quite impressed by the beam profile. Yes the Cree rings are slightly present, but in practical application of the light, you will hardly notice these. There is a nice amount of side spill, with a solid bright hotspot. Throw is good, as you would expect with a Smooth Reflector.

Runtime
I haven't got the equipment to do detailed runtime plots; I'll leave these to the expert reviewers.

Conclusion
The K2 is a quality 2 AA Torch. If you're after a solid, reliable easy to use torch, and if it is priced competitively the K2 should fit the bill.

Pros
Great Quality construction
Good output
Reasonable price

Cons
No Mode memory

Thanks guys!!

Luke

Last edited:

Slorg

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, indeed.

Seems like the youtube video is damaged tho ( ends at 3:35).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice job Luke!!
2AA / Cree lights are really surging in popularity at the moment with the RC-N3, River Rock and Coleman in the USA. Hopefully this trend will continue elsewhere around the world.

Good job on the video. Good voice tone, vocal pace, volume and clarity. Thats the hardest thing for me, I tend to slur my words.:twothumbs. Yes, beamshots are the hardest part. Finding a location that best illustrates the side flood and center hotspot throw is difficult.