BACK UP YOUR PHOTOS OFTEN

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Geez, as many times as I've lead the chorus for backing up photos, today I lost 1600 on my phone.
Ugh!

A typical monthly backup was put off during February, then March, then....
Ok so after accumulating some 12000 on my phone since 014 all were backed up until this year. But my phone internal memory began "beeping".. literally. Room was tight internally but an SD card was barely used.

Swap 'em over, right?
Starting at the most recent I was clicking a little box 200 at a time.
Ugh! Too cumbersome.

Well then I got the notion to just copy and paste the whole folder. Seemed ok. Windows computers just fill in gaps or add to the folder as applicable.

Android? Nope.
What I was unaware of was that Android would over write the old folder I had sent some 1600+ photos to.

There were some 'early' photos that were in the over written folder too. But those were part of an early backup.

Ok so point being if I had stuck to the routine only a few dozen would be gone.

So seriously, if you keep a bunch of your photos on your phone BACK THEM UP OFTEN.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
A lesson I haven't learned yet. It's been a good 6 months for me, so we're probably talking 1000 photos (mostly junk that will be deleted anyway once I transfer them to my computer).

I just hate doing it...transferring to my computer then backing up. So I put it off month after month.

Oldschool printed photo albums are hard to beat sometimes, but I have too many I could never make up my mind on what to print...so I never considered that option.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A lesson I haven't learned yet. It's been a good 6 months for me, so we're probably talking 1000 photos (mostly junk that will be deleted anyway once I transfer them to my computer).

I just hate doing it...transferring to my computer then backing up. So I put it off month after month.

Oldschool printed photo albums are hard to beat sometimes, but I have too many I could never make up my mind on what to print...so I never considered that option.

Same here. Used back up my cameras regularly. But I shot big files on small cards. Typically if something went wrong I was out 75-100 pix. That's why I use small capacity cards...lots of them.

I've nowhere near the number of Red, but a couple hundred k digitals, yet have probably less than 50. Yep 50 or less. Some got printed for stuff my wife entered them into. And a few for friends.
Actually the only prints hanging in my house were done on those office printers that only print black and were done on cheap copy paper. Stuff like old barns in a snow storm, or a really blown out macro of a rose turned cool photo printed that way.

These days 99.9% are taken by a phone cam and edited in phone. So most of the "keepers" that got deleted had been edited and placed in another folder.

But it still sucked that instead of the copy/paste thing adding to an existing folder like Windows does it over-wrote instead.
Sigh. Lesson learned.

Eh, most were photos of flashlights anyway.

Red; what brand dvd blanks do you use? I used to use gold core Sonys and still have a supply remaining. But I don't think they make them anymore.

I use Seagate mirror'd backup drives too, plus flashdrives. Plus my dual hard drive lap top is set up as a mirror.
I don't trust outside sources for storing. No cloud for this guy...well except photobucket for posting pics on forums.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
No cloud for me either. I just back them up on an external harddrive. I know that's risky, but I just ran out of patience burning them on disc. Even around 50GB on a DL blu-ray was a painful process. 60GB...so one disc plus another year of waiting to fill up a a second with the next 40GB.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Many recent Android smartphones do regular SSD TRIM wipes every day (or when it's in the standby). Once the data gets deleted, it's gone forever, thanks to TRIM feature.

Nevertheless, I have started to back up my new data every time I use my computer (I have 1 TB Western Digital portable hard drive), and I have lost 400+ GB of data once (due to a stupid mistake in Linux command prompt). It hurts.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, you already have free unlimited cloud storage of pictures included with your other deals. I have ~30GB redundantly stored there, can access any of it anywhere from any device, free app or browser.

markr6

Flashaholic
If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, you already have free unlimited cloud storage of pictures included with your other deals. I have ~30GB redundantly stored there, can access any of it anywhere from any device, free app or browser.

I must have overlooked that. I'm pretty much addicted to Amazon, will probably be a Prime member for life! Still not hot on cloud storage, but I may check this out.

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I use distributed redundancy.

I copy them onto two computers at home. Occasionally I burn a disc and take to the office, which is in a different city. It's all kind of haphazard, but I haven't lost anything yet.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also… Just take fewer photos.No, seriously!I went through my photos the other year and deleted the ones that really didn't mean anything to me. Turns out I deleted about 97% of the pics. I mean, why would I keep a picture of a Spitfire flying at the Air Fair or indeed, any photo I ever took at an Air Fair. I know what planes look like right! Oh yes, and here is a picture of my car with snow on it and do I really need 20 pictures of my son on his sled? How about just the best one. Makes back up much easier and faster.
I'm also a big fan of Photo albums. I have some large ones that hold six 6x4 photos in each page and 240 photos in all. It's really nice to get them out on occasion and flick through them.