Inova 5x vs Trg Aurora vs Arc-LS

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
would like to see this comparison, I know that the Arc-LS cant be done yet, except possibly by the reviewers.

would be nice to compare brightness, runtimes, and ease of carry.

On ease of carry, I would think that the Arc-LS would win hands down. On runtimes, I think of economy rather than not having to replace batteries as often, this would of course mean that the Arc-LS's run time would have to be X2

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`d love to do this for you...if Inova would send me a 5x and TRG send an Aurora forst
wink.gif
grin.gif
. But more realistically (since there are a ton of lights here already that need reviewing, and a possible load more coming soon too), perhaps someone who has one or both of those, could compare them to, for example, an EternaLight or Tektite Exp.300. I can then do the ALS vs those two, a sort of go-between comparison? Right now the ALS is about to undergo another battery test- thanks to Brock for the Sanyo CR123s, but it may be free at last in a week or so, depends on whether that Panasonic 123 turns up before then. A week, and I give up looking.

shocked.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
So where have people gotton the Aurora? I think I am going to have to get one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock,
Try this this vendor.

Edited 10-30-2001. Web page indicates out of stock as of 10-30-01.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
would like to see this comparison, I know that the Arc-LS cant be done yet, except possibly by the reviewers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't do it either, since I don't have an Inova or an Aurora.

Free

Enlightened
I have the Aurora and I ordered the Inova. I found out today that the Inova is backordered for the next two weeks. When I get it I will give you my 2cents on how they compare (Except for the Arc ls of course).

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Free:
I have the Aurora and I ordered the Inova. I found out today that the Inova is backordered for the next two weeks. When I get it I will give you my 2cents on how they compare (Except for the Arc ls of course).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Free,
How 'bout a photo of the "spot" at four feet. I considered buying the Aurora before getting the Inova. I'm happy with the X5 but equally curious about the Aurora.

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
would like to see this comparison, I know that the Arc-LS cant be done yet, except possibly by the reviewers.

would be nice to compare brightness, runtimes, and ease of carry.

On ease of carry, I would think that the Arc-LS would win hands down. On runtimes, I think of economy rather than not having to replace batteries as often, this would of course mean that the Arc-LS's run time would have to be X2
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked out http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/aurora.htm

it rates the flashlight at 85 lumens. I thought the LS LED was rated at 18 lumens ? If this is true, then I would imagine the aurora would be a better buy ?

sylvestor

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Here are my brief review/comparisons of the TRG AURORA, INOVA 5X and PRINCETON TEC ATTITUDE

TRG AURORA

SIZE: 4 3/16" x 7/8" (head) x ¾" (body)
WEIGHT: 2.9oz
LEDS: 4 (white)
POWER 2 x 123 Lithium
ON/OFF "Clickie" tail piece. No lock-out
CONSTRUCTION: Metal. One-Piece head/body, separate tailpiece.
WATERPROOF? "To 33 feet"
COLOR: Black
PRO: Bright, Smallest 2 x 123 flashlight of any type
CON: Very blue light, no tailpiece lockout, uncomfortably hot, black
finish easily scratched.

FRAUDULENT CLAIMS VS REALITY:

1) "3.5 inches long" Actual length: 4 3/16
2) "24 hours FULL ON" Approximately 1 hour "full on"
3) "85 Lumens" A small fraction of this figure. (Don't have
accurate light meter)

Very small, bright and light, waterproof, with 4 LEDs permanently mounted in one-piece black metal head/ body. Initially somewhat brighter than Princeton Tec Attitude or LightWave 2000, but not as bright as Night Buster Ledda or Inova 5X. Red plastic button of clickie tailpiece is recessed, but tailpiece can not be locked out and accidental turn on is possible. Light gets very hot and black matte finish is easily scratched, therefore pocket carry is not advised.

RELATIVE BRIGHTNESS: TRG AURORA VS. PRINCETON TEC ATTITUDE

START: Aurora brighter than Attitude
1 Hour: Maintains lead
2 Hours: Maintains lead, but by smaller increment
3 ½ Hrs: Aurora slightly dimmer than Attitude

CONCLUSION: Although this is a decent light, it is eventually outperformed by the Attitude which is nearly as small, is lighter, less scratch-prone, lockable on or off, and uses AAA alkaline batteries. (See my reviews of the Attiitude and three other lights)

INOVA X5

SIZE: 4 5/8" x ¾",
WEIGHT: 3oz (with batteries)
LED'S: 5 (white)
POWER: 2 x 123
CONSTRUCTION: metal (aluminum?)
WATERPROOF? - YES
COLOR: Black or "aluminum"
PRO: Very bright and small
CON: Less peripheral beam spread than some other lights

Easily pocketable, waterproof, sleek and very sturdily built with a futuristic appearance. (See Kogatana – 10/19/01) Available in black or "aluminum" color. Definitely The brightest LED light for its size that I've tried. (NOTE: SIGNIFCANTLY OUT PERFORMS TRG AURORA. ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T MAKE A HEAD TO HEAD COMPARISON, SINCE THE INOVA OUT PERFORMS THE ATTITUDE, AND THE ATTITUDE OUTPERFORMS THE AURORA (AFTER ABOUT 3 HOURS) IT FOLLOWS THAT THE INOVA OUTPERFORMS THE AURORA). Gets very warm to the touch, but maintains excellent brightness for 4-5 hours. After 4 hours of steady burning it was still as bright as the Attitude or the LW 2000 with fresh batteries. It can easily be operated with one hand, and is the light I always carry on my belt, in preference to all other
LED's (until the LS comes out). (Note that the beam pattern has somewhat less peripheral spread than some other lights)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PRINCETON TEC ATTITUDE

SIZE: 4 ¾" x 1" (Bezel and body width) x ½" (Body "thickness"
wink.gif

WEIGHT: 2.5oz (with batteries)
LEDS: 3 (white)
POWER: 4 x AAA
CONSTRUCTION: Plastic
WATERPROOF? - YES
COLOR: Translucent black, etc.
PRO: Bright and small
CON: Light spill-back through translucent head

The attitude is probably the best and brightest small all round everyday carry alkaline-driven light. I would be wearing it on my belt right now if there were no Inova 5X. It's at least as bright as the LW 2000 (though it won't burn bright as long) and it is very light. There is one design flaw: The translucent body permits annoying light spill-back where the body flares to meet the bezel. This can be cured by wrapping it with black plastic tape. Princeton Tec really needs to attend to this issue. Despite this, the attitude is an excellent light.

Hope this is useful

Brightnorm

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Where has everyone, who has one, obtained their INOVA X5? I cannot locate this one with the exception of NDS, who had an exceptionally long lead time to deliver the goods once an order is placed. Are they the only shop online that carries the X5? I am very interested in this one.

Regards
Ed

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if you guys have a Fry's Electronics where you're from. I got one here for $39.00. A week ago there were some x5's on ebay for $36 bucks, so you might wanna try there. There is also an auction for 123 batteries, but I don't know the price.

Free

Enlightened
KT when I get my Inova I will post pictures of the beams of the Aurora and Inova at 4 feet. Until then check your original thread "TRG Led Torch" on the Aurora where I posted pictures of the Aurora's beam at 3 feet.