Modded MTE H8-1A with Circular Beam

Vinz

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!:wave:

A while ago, I had the chance to mod a quite unknown MTE H8-1. The light uses an interesting lens system to produce a circular beam.

Following my little build-log:

MTE-H8-1-01.jpg

Almost all threads were "secured" with glue. The first glued part was the battery tube...
MTE-H8-1-02.jpg

... followed by the lower part of the head.
MTE-H8-1-03.jpg

Of course, the heatsink-pill was glued, too...
MTE-H8-1-04.jpg

... like the secure ring in the front.
MTE-H8-1-05.jpg

Fully disassembled. There were four lenses in this light. One small condenser lens in front of the LED, followed by a aspherical lens 2cm above, and two spherical lenses behind each other in the front.
MTE-H8-1-06.jpg

The ground of the original heatsink-pill was really thin.
MTE-H8-1-07.jpg

So I added some more mass to it. The aluminium part was press-fit and also glued with Arctic Silver thermal adhesive.
MTE-H8-1-08.jpg

Used a XM-L U2 on copper PCB (without dielectric) from LED-Tech, which was also glued under pressure using Arctic Silver.
MTE-H8-1-09.jpg

The new driver with custom modes got a massive brass contact and was potted with a high mineral (75-80% purest SiC) thermal adhesive.
MTE-H8-1-10.jpg

Close-up of the condenser Lens. I enlarged the openings a little bit on all three parts.
MTE-H8-1-11.jpg

MTE-H8-1-12.jpg

Done! What a massy thing...:naughty:
MTEH8-1-13.jpg

For size comparison, next to a 4Sevens X10.
MTE-H8-1-14.jpg

Ready for beamshots!

• MTE H8-1 - 5.2 Amps
  • 4Sevens X10 - up to 5.3 Amps (direct-drive mod)

Target is at 65 meters.
Leuchtv-mte-1.gif

60 meters.
Leuchtv-mte-2.gif

95 meters (tree in the center).
Leuchtv-mte-3.gif

25 meters.
Leuchtv-mte-6.gif

195 meters to the small house.
Leuchtv-mte-4.gif

Leuchtv-mte-5.gif

The original circuit had 5 modes (3+2) and around 2.6 Amps in the high mode. The new one is equipped with two modes (800mA & 5.2 Amps) and starts always on "low".

Regards,

Vinz

Last edited:

morelightnow

Enlightened
This is probably my favorite beam type. It reminds me of the circus, and other shows I went to as a kid. I was always fascinated at how bright the spotlights were, and how they made such a small concentrated circular spot.

I have been looking at building a light with the cbt-140 since it has a round die and would do the same thing, but the cost and power requirements are out of my league. This looks to be the perfect solution.

Last edited:

nikosb

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone taken a lux measurement on the MTE flashlight? I wonder if the round beam is more intense than the plain aspheric lenses?

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW I see your at it again. Your mods are so great. So glad you shared this with us. BTW I still have my drop-ins from you. Thanks Vinz, would like to see you on the forums more with your great talent. ....Robert

Theodore41

Enlightened
As I have learned that there is the possibility of taking one with the strobe mode,I ask if it is possible to be modded,how far could go with this light, and how would be the cost.
I prefer the light to have the strobe mode and the high mode, first in a row.