Lambda's Fabulous Pill

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda\'s Fabulous Pill

I just gotta say, this drop in Luxeon Star Pill Lambda has made is fantastic. I just tried it out. What a great masterpiece this is!

Here's a photo of it:

Lamda.Pill.jpg

grin.gif

Wayne
www.elektrolumens.com

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lambda\'s Fabulous Pill

I have to say I bought one of his Illuminators during his last sale and it ROCKS. I really love this light and I will be waiting for a chance to try out one of these Illuminator Pill mods. It seems like such a great idea, if your flashlight gets messed up you can just drop it in another one. That is so freaking clever in my opinion.

Off topic: I also will be keeping track of your mods and new flashlight design. Your new light looks sharp Wayne. I haven't been lucky enough to get a chance to try one of your lights yet but I hear nothing but good things about them.

Pat

sflate

Enlightened

Ditto! This mod is ingenious and produces a great quality light. It's now my EDC light of choice.

Lambda (or anyone else that knows) - How much current does the pill put through the emitter? I'm trying to get a good judgement of how dat2zip's sandwich will compare. I'd love to carry my pill as my EDC with 2 extra sandwiches (since they are adjustable) with one set for max bright and one set for max runtime.

Kremer

Enlightened

can anyone tell me what the cutout voltage is for the pill? I don't want to put my good NiMh in here if it is going to discharge them too far ( below 1v per cell, or 2v total) and kill them, as overdischarge on a NiMh will cause it to vent...

I noticed that the LS doesn't go out super abruptly, but rather dims over about 30 sec or so then finally does a rapid (3/4 or so sec.) fade to black.

Frank Schwab

Newly Enlightened

On mine, it cuts off at about 1.6V input.

So your NiMH cells should be safe.

/frank

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, the Pill cuts off at 1.4 to 1.6 volts (1.5V +-0.1V). I made it for use with NiMh in mind, that was one of the design objectives.

1 - Bright; with 2 hour+ runtime
2 - Cheap to operate; no special batteries required
3 - NiMh compatible
4 - Reliable; low parts count and solid assembly

On the question of how much current, that depends. First, remember the Illuminator circuit does not operate in steady state DC. It uses a pulse shaping circuit to drive the Luxeon; varying the pulse width to regulate. So, ma through the Luxeon is a relative comparison. My multimeter shows initially 500 to 450ma depending on batteries and Luxeon; most of the battery life is probably expended around 400ma. But that's on a multimeter set for measuring DC current, but is really measuring an unfiltered ~220kHz pulsed DC.

Because the Illuminator circuit has no adjustments, the Luxeon forward voltage drop will determine the current through the Luxeon. The Illuminator circuit will try to maitain 1.5 watts of overall power; supplying more current thru a lower voltage drop Luxeon, and less current thru a higher voltage drop Luxeon. This then has the effect of regulating overall heat production.

For example:

Luxeon with 3.1V forward voltage drop at 500ma
3.1*0.5=1.55 watts

Luxeon with 3.8V forward voltage drop at 400ma
3.8*0.4=1.52 watts

For the second example, the Illuminator circuit would be providing closer to 400ma to regulate the Luxeon power closer to 1.5W.

I hope I've not cunfused further.......
cool.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by sflate:
Thanks Lambda, that helps me quite a bit. I love my 'pill'. Question - If I have bare emitters, how would I measure the forward voltage drop?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's kind of tricky; adjust current to 350ma and measure the voltage drop across the Luxeon. Be careful, don't apply the current for more than a few seconds, just long enough to get a reading. Bare emitters without heatsinking can only take 100ma continuous. And the voltage drop will change with temperature.......

sflate

Enlightened

Thanks Lambda, that helps me quite a bit. I love my 'pill'. Question - If I have bare emitters, how would I measure the forward voltage drop?