Arc AAA threads

nihraguk

Enlightened
i've been using my arc for a few months already, and i've been unable to satisfactorily clean out the threads. small pieces of metal from the threads have gotten into the threading, and no matter how i clean it, as long as one doesn't get cleaned off, it grinds up the threads again when i turn the head, making more metal bits which further eat up the threads. what happens is the threads have a grinding feel to it when i try to turn the head, and i don't want to ruin my arc. i can already see parts of threads that have been eaten out by the metal bits.

has anyone here experience this before? for my other lights i usually use a toothbrush, but the threads in the barrel of the arc are hard to get at cos the barrel is so small. previously the metal bits were getting trapped in the foam retainer, and they would get loose in the threads whenever i removed or inserted the head into the barrel. anyway i accidentally tore the retainer whilst trying to clean the head, but apparently i still can't clean the threads good enough.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the things I have found to help is to use some sort of light oil to put the fragments in suspension. This makes them easier to wipe off or brush away. You can use a pipe cleaner to get into the battery compartment threads. There are also bottle brushes, etc at your local hard ware store.

Peter Gransee

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use contact cleaner from electronic stores. Just spray it on and all the crud gets gone. I relube with grease and everything is fine. I can turn on all my Arc's with one hand.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem and unfortunately I never found a good solution. I tried cleaning and re-cleaning and lubing and re-lubing, but eventually I just ended up stripping the head. It was sad because it had a really nice bright led in it.

On the plus side, I can now say that Arc customer service is excellent as they promptly replaced my stripped unit with a new one. Also, on the plus side, I've had no problems whatsoever with the new one (I put some Radio Shack lube with teflon on it right away for an extra precaution).

Good luck, Pat

PS Dana, thanks for that contact cleaner tip; that seems like an excellent idea.

napalm-2002

Enlightened
get some Prolong engine treatment,
use it on the threads.usually you can find it at trade shows or swap meets in a little prcision lube syringe for free.or shell out the 12.99 for a engine booster bottle and dump some in your car's engine and some on your arc threads.

mike

dangee

Newly Enlightened
look carefully at the threads, both head and barrel (preferably with a magnifing lens) it is possible there may be partial crossthreading causing more pieces of aluminum to be sheared off.

nihraguk

Enlightened
peter gransee: thanks for responding personally to this thread
smile.gif

to peter g and everyone else: thanks for the suggestions, i'll go try them out and post my results here as soon as i can, thanks!