Flashlight "Shopping" is Tough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

my_O_my

Banned
I'm in the process of researching new lights, I have what I want in a light set in my mind. I'll list those right now, to hopefully avoid confusion,

2xCR123A
2-3 modes High/Mid/Low or two of the three
Head larger in diameter than body, even if slightly
Crenelated bezel
Polycarbonate lens is a plus, glass is OK
Type II or III Ano, doesn't matter
100 lumen minimum on high
Descent runtime
Forward Clicky, OR Surefire like twisty
$150 MAX
Neutral or warm white is a plus

I know that's kind of asking for a lot in a light, but when I'm willing to spend $150 dollars, that is what I want.

I recently seen the new NovaTac Special OPS light, and I basically love the design. BUT, the runtime seems very disappointing for the output, 70 min at 120 lumens, and I would hope the strobe is well hidden or at least not easily activated by accident. Other than that, I would jump all over this light.

Also thinking about the Surefire E2D LED Defender, or a grab bag of lights/Accecories, including the EagleTac P100C2 NW, iTP A3 EOS Upgrade edition, Lanyard making supplies, and a Malkoff M60WL (most likely used).

Now the questions. First of all, if anyone has experience with this NovaTac, I would love to hear the details :D

Secondly, of the lights I listed, tell me what YOU would buy, the NovaTac, the E2DL, or the grab bag(accessories are for SF G2).

Thirdly, Suggest me a light that matches some of my criteria.

Fourthly, can I make an RA Clicky resemble the NT Special OPS? If so, :takeit:

And last but not least, tell me which one of your lights is closest to you right now. :thumbsup:

*Disclaimer - I know the NovaTac is made overseas, And I don't want Li-ion.

Thank you guys and possibly gals in advance!

carrot

Flashaholic
I would go for the Malkoff MD2 with a Malkoff M61. They are a little hard to come by right now but offers the two mode (with the optional high/low switch), a tactical clicky, hard anodize, 300 lumens on high for 2 hours, and will run you about $120.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Plenty of great options you've mentioned. You might want to consider a few other lights, including the:

- Surefire LX2 (fits all your criteria)
- Quark Turbo (made by 4sevens.com) in neutral tint
- Fenix TK20 (which is a AA light, but otherwise fits all your criteria)

Also, I'm a big fan of the 2-stage Malkoff flashlight; I think they'd fit your uses perfectly. If you go for the Malkoff, consider getting the full output M60W instead, and then using the 2-stage ring to get you a low level.

FYI, you should be able to purchase any of the above lights here on the marketplace for under $150. If you do, don't forget to purchase another backup light (like the Fenix EO, the Quark AA, an Arc AAA, etc.). As we always say here on CPF, two is one...and one is none.

- FITP

P.S. You might get some better input if you share what tasks you intend to use the light for; we might be able to help you consider some factors you hadn't thought of. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
Look at the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2 and the Jet-IIIM. I have both and am thrilled with them.

my_O_my

Banned
Plenty of great options you've mentioned. You might want to consider a few other lights, including the:

- Surefire LX2 (fits all your criteria)
- Quark Turbo (made by 4sevens.com) in neutral tint
- Fenix TK20 (which is a AA light, but otherwise fits all your criteria)

Thanks for the suggestions, I would love an LX2 but it's a little expensive, the Quark has just been added to the list of possibilities, and I have the TK20, not my cup of tea though.

Also, I'm a big fan of the 2-stage Malkoff flashlight; I think they'd fit your uses perfectly. If you go for the Malkoff, consider getting the full output M60W instead, and then using the 2-stage ring to get you a low level.

I have looked at the Malkoff, and would definitely get the setup you mention (in orange though), but nothing is ever available.

P.S. You might get some better input if you share what tasks you intend to use the light for; we might be able to help you consider some factors you hadn't thought of. Hope this helps!

I kind of wanted this one to be a general use light, something I can grab and know it should do the job whatever the task may be.

I would go for the Malkoff MD2 with a Malkoff M61. They are a little hard to come by right now but offers the two mode (with the optional high/low switch), a tactical clicky, hard anodize, 300 lumens on high for 2 hours, and will run you about $120.

About $140 since I would get the orange, as it's my favorite color :D

csa

Enlightened
shopping is tough! My pocketbook is about to go on strike!

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you should try the new TK11R5..

Also flashlight shopping is tough only when you limit yourself to buy only one light. Buy many!! be happy!!!

Only few CPFers have complained about investing too much money in flashlight, but guess what, they all complained happily!

my_O_my

Banned
Sounds like you should try the new TK11R5..

Also flashlight shopping is tough only when you limit yourself to buy only one light. Buy many!! be happy!!!

Only few CPFers have complained about investing too much money in flashlight, but guess what, they all complained happily!

I've been buying for a while, I don't have many lights by CPF standards, but quite a bit none the less, I'm just looking for something new. Also, funds aren't quite what they should be. I'm in the process of saving some cash for this light.

Nothing in the Fenix line interests me...

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Spend a little more and get the SF LX1. Or, the Malkoff MD2 as mentioned above.

I have both, and you will be happy with either of these.

If you go for the Malkoff, the orange is stunning. I got the orange to match my orange Hinderer XM-18, and orange Spyderco Military.

When you go to the Malkoff's site, if they are out of something, click on the feature that will let you know when they are back in stock, that is how I got mine.

Plus both are made here in The USA!

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I have an Eagletac P100C2 that pretty much fits your criteria. Two mode (220/55), forward momentary switch, head slightly bigger with light crenellation, all the other things you asked for, also available in neutral white and bloody cheap for good quality at around forty bucks. Can't go wrong.

joe1512

Enlightened
I dont really think your requirements are THAT tough...but I wanted to go over them briefly.

2xCR123A
That is fairly common. Note that many lights use a single 18650 which is the exact same size. Would you be interested in using either an 18650 rechargable or 2xRCR123s instead? I am just curious what your thoughts were on WHY you have this requirement? Is it a size/form factor thing, or you dont want rechargables?

Yep, just about ANY decent light discussed here will have this.

Most lights fit this, except for the ones meant for keychain type usage. Most 2xCR123 will have bigger heads.

Crenelated bezel
Is this just for styling? Id think this is a very low priority since you cant really 'fight' with a 2xCR123 sized light. The only thing it injures is your jeans pocket...

Poly is fairly rare. Most here use hardened glass.

This is trivial. Just about ANY light will fit the bill. My itp A1 keychain light hits well over 200 lumens with a 1xRCR123.

Descent runtime
Runtime is little more than your battery life divided by however much power the light uses. Since most use the same emitter and thus same efficiency, runtime is mostly a matter of how many lumens at various modes.

That is a noteworthy requirement.

$150 MAX
Shouldnt be much of a problem.

My quesiton would be: Are you looking for a more floody light that really lights up an area? Or do you want more throw for long distance viewing? How you use the light is one of the most important things when determining requirements.

I recommend going to goinggear.com or a similar merchant and looking through all their lights. GG has a nice selection of higher quality lights that you can browse through.

One cheap one is the iTP Light SC2 2 x CR123 CREE XP-E R2 LED Flashlight. For 40 bucks it hits most of your requirements.

ITP Light C10T Tactical CREE LED Flashlight has a forward switch and hits requirements nicely.

Most here will recommend a much more expensive light, but this is to demonstrate that you don't have to pay 150 bucks to get a good light. With your requirements you have quite a bit of latitude.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even tougher when half of the moron dealers out there don't post all the specs. NO, no one in particular I'm thinking of. This is just a general comment and actually applies to most sites. Stuff that they would PRINT in a brochure that costs a fortune, they cannot put on a site for free... :(

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's hard to beat the E2DL and also I like the P20C2 MKII a lot, either of these two should satisfy you.

BTW the closest to me humm..well the E2DL,RRT-2, P20C2 MKII and several others are within arms reach.

my_O_my

Banned
I have an Eagletac P100C2 that pretty much fits your criteria. Two mode (220/55), forward momentary switch, head slightly bigger with light crenellation, all the other things you asked for, also available in neutral white and bloody cheap for good quality at around forty bucks. Can't go wrong.

This one interests me, I know it won't blow me away, since I have it's big brother, the P20C2 Mark II, which happens to be my only "high end" light, and the TK20, even though they're not really that high end, I kind of wanted the P100C2 as something to beat on and abuse unless I can buy a light that is even better than the P20, then I'll use the P20 as a beater.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Co-incidence.......I also have the P20C2 MkII (and the "MkI" version too) and I find myself nowadays treating my p100c2 very much in the way you latterly described. It's the dirty jobs torch. Thing is, it has a ten times better feel in the hand than the P20C2 (for me) which makes it an absolute pleasure to use despite its lack of the big brother's multimode fanciness.

my_O_my

Banned
I dont really think your requirements are THAT tough...but I wanted to go over them briefly.

2xCR123A
That is fairly common. Note that many lights use a single 18650 which is the exact same size. Would you be interested in using either an 18650 rechargable or 2xRCR123s instead? I am just curious what your thoughts were on WHY you have this requirement? Is it a size/form factor thing, or you dont want rechargables?

Yep, just about ANY decent light discussed here will have this.

Most lights fit this, except for the ones meant for keychain type usage. Most 2xCR123 will have bigger heads.

Crenelated bezel
Is this just for styling? Id think this is a very low priority since you cant really 'fight' with a 2xCR123 sized light. The only thing it injures is your jeans pocket...

Poly is fairly rare. Most here use hardened glass.

This is trivial. Just about ANY light will fit the bill. My itp A1 keychain light hits well over 200 lumens with a 1xRCR123.

Descent runtime
Runtime is little more than your battery life divided by however much power the light uses. Since most use the same emitter and thus same efficiency, runtime is mostly a matter of how many lumens at various modes.

That is a noteworthy requirement.

$150 MAX
Shouldnt be much of a problem.

My quesiton would be: Are you looking for a more floody light that really lights up an area? Or do you want more throw for long distance viewing? How you use the light is one of the most important things when determining requirements.

I recommend going to goinggear.com or a similar merchant and looking through all their lights. GG has a nice selection of higher quality lights that you can browse through.

One cheap one is the iTP Light SC2 2 x CR123 CREE XP-E R2 LED Flashlight. For 40 bucks it hits most of your requirements.

ITP Light C10T Tactical CREE LED Flashlight has a forward switch and hits requirements nicely.

Most here will recommend a much more expensive light, but this is to demonstrate that you don't have to pay 150 bucks to get a good light. With your requirements you have quite a bit of latitude.

Ah, now that's the kind of help I like to see!

2XCR132A...I just basically like the Form factor of these lights, not too big, not too small, just right. I have lights that use 18650 & 17670, but this one I would like it to be made for CR123a's, (17670 is fine) I hate battery rattle and having to use a spacer type thing so a CR123A/18650 light is out of the question, thats kind of what turns me off from the MD2.

Crenelated bezel...I really like the look of a LIGHTLY crenelated bezel. I guess I should have stated that this option isn't really that important, I mean you can't really see your flashlight at times when you actually use it right? No plans to use my lights for self defense, Lol.

Lens material...I have lights with both types, poly and glass, the light transmission doesn't bother me, I really don't care if I lose 10 lumens, but I like the fact that I can drop a plastic windowed flashlight, and know that the lens isn't going to break on me. I can live with scratches.

Output/runtime...Since I want a light with decent runtime, that means I have to give up a little of the brightness. My ET P20 is awesome with its 300 OTF lumens, but I find myself using that mode more than I should or need to, and an hour and a half isn't that much more than I get with My SF P60 (which is way more satisfying than the LED). since I tend to use high most of the time, I want one with a high around 100 to 200. The NovaTac special OPS has a perfect 120 lumens, but it only runs for 70 minutes, my 300 lumen Eagletac runs longer than that, I guess even my 150 lumen TK20 runs longer than that, on two AA's!

Beam Style...Something in between flood and throw would be nice. Less throwy than My TK20, But more so than the R5 in my Eagletac. I was thinking about getting the Neutral white dropin for the ET, which should be more of a concentrated beam than the R5, and less concentrated than the TK20 since it is in a much smaller reflector.

Ok, after I typed all of that out, I went to check out going gear, and came across the iTP E50, I think that light might just work for me. I'll for sure do a bunch of research on it.

Thanks for all your help Joe1512!!

my_O_my

Banned
Co-incidence.......I also have the P20C2 MkII (and the "MkI" version too) and I find myself nowadays treating my p100c2 very much in the way you latterly described. It's the dirty jobs torch. Thing is, it has a ten times better feel in the hand than the P20C2 (for me) which makes it an absolute pleasure to use despite its lack of the big brother's multimode fanciness.

That's good to know that it feels better in your hand. I thought the P20 felt great, almost perfect, kind of like how it feels to hold a set of breasts! :whistle:

Ok, since the NovaTac is off my list, damn that 70 minute runtime :shakehead
and I just now decided not to buy the Surefire E2DL, even though I'm sure that I would Love the crap out of it, it sounds like a purchase to be made when I have more disposable income.

So now its down to the P100C2 NW, iTp E50....And I want at least two more options in the <$50 range so I can also get a bunch of CR123a's, and some lanyard making supplies (Orange Paracord of course!) and possibly the Eagletac module since they are now available. for a grand total of around $110 for all of that.

my_O_my

Banned
Ok, First of all, I want to thank you all for your help, it's very appreciated.

I've been thinking, and I don't think I'm going to get a light at all! :shrug:

I've decided on getting The NW Eagletac module for my P20, lanyard supplies, M60WL if I can find one (for G2), and a boat load of CR123a's!

I can get 24 Battery Station Cells for just over $30, I've only ever used Surefire Cr123a's (12 for $30 :eek: ), do the new Made In USA battery station cells compare well with the Surefire Cells? If I've read correctly, they are both made in the Panasonic USA plant.

I've been reading about almost every light made, all the while playing with my G2, and I couldn't find one that made me feel the way my G2 does...It just needs more runtime, ala M60WL!

The lanyards(3) will be made from these parts, if anyone has a better idea, I'm up for suggestions!

3x of these.
3x of these.
A couple of feet of this.
And of course some split rings and clips.

I don't know which lanyard ring to get though,
This one,
Or this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.