First Experience with the Surefire U2

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my first chance to see and handle a U2 Today. I have read mixed emotions about this light and have to admit I already had a slight negative attitude considering the asking price of $279.00. My E2e I originally paid $79.00 for I thought was high at the time, but I have come to love this little light and would pay $79.00 to replace it without hesitation.

The U2 was a pleasant surprise. It was day time but shining it on the wall at about three feet it seemed brighter than any Surefire LED I've seen. The interface was phenominal to me. Just turn the bezel behind the head to change the brightness settings. No twisting the heads back and forth. Best UI for changing the brightness settings I've played with. Oh and it just felt good in the hand, don't know why but it did. I think I may have to go back and ask to play with it again in a dark room. If it's as good as I think it is and I can find a good deal on one, I may just HAVE to have one.

I would love to hear comments from anyone who has one and any 2008 news about this light.

Bill

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
wait till they throw a cree in it next year. then it will be worth it.

just from reading a ton of info on it and specs it really is my dream light as far as being small, tough & great UI with various brightness levels.

really i only want 3 levels so 6 is overkill, and 279 is just too much money.

but with a cree, it might just be worth it

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that is exactly what I'm wondering. I really liked the light but i'm "Lumen Spoiled". I have two Q5 lights and would really like my U2 to be the brightest kid on the block for my $279.00. Even though the present version made my mouth water, I really want at least 180 or more Lumens, and with Surefires legendary beam pattern what a winner this light will be. I just may have to wait.

BigD64

Enlightened
Congrats on the U2 I love mine. Just don't try the Kroma or you will be spending another 300 bucks..... lol

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Don't short change the Lux V in the U2, and could a Cree ever give that nice beam the U2 has, or L5, or L4, or L2. I have secretly wanted a U2 ($) for several years now.

Bill

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I am a late comer to the U2 flowing, I got mine about 6 months ago. I bough an older U2 that needed to be RMA to surefire and included a note that I wanted to keep the old battery tube. They put a nice new heed on my U2 with an older battery tube that fits the 18650's. It's not the brightest light I own, but it never lets me down and has a reasonable runtime, it still never fails to amaze me when I turn it on high in the woods at night, or in the dark while its snowing out… simply amazing light. As for the Led upgrade, I have several SSC/Cree lights, its nice to have something different. I also find that even with its size I still EDC this light, along with my HDS. That's my $.02 for what its worth.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't short change the Lux V in the U2, and could a Cree ever give that nice beam the U2 has, or L5, or L4, or L2. I have secretly wanted a U2 ($) for several years now.

Bill

Also people pay too much attention to pure output. Did anyone notice what happened to the L1 runtimes when they went Cree? It went from 4 hours on high to 1.5, and from 90 hours to 16 on low. So yeah, it has a wonderful pure white beam. But you pay a BIG penalty in runtime for it.

So don't be too quick to dismiss the current emitter. You might find that runtime is worthwhile too. Certainly the U2 in current configuration puts out a TON of light. I'm not sure I'd want to slash my runtimes to get a brighter beam.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the U2's deeper reflector for more throw than the newer Crees. I have several BOG Q5 drop-ins for my various P and C sized heads, but the U2 will easily out-throw those lights. Yes, the new U2 with Cree will definitely be better than the current model, but this one sure isn't a slouch! :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my U2. I am expecting that if they do update the U2, it will be with a SSC...not a CREE. The SSC beam pattern is much closer to the LuxV than a CREE. So, unless they change the reflector in the head of the U2, I would expect an SSC in any future upgrade.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting reading the comments about the U2. As I stated in my starting thread I really like the light. Even though so many people are very happy with the current version I have decided to wait until the update comes out; but I will then buy one immediately since there is so much positive feed back. I don't think it will be that long until the update comes out anyway. Even Inova announced they are now updating there whole T line with Cree's.

Thanks everyone.

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
Also people pay too much attention to pure output. Did anyone notice what happened to the L1 runtimes when they went Cree? It went from 4 hours on high to 1.5, and from 90 hours to 16 on low. So yeah, it has a wonderful pure white beam. But you pay a BIG penalty in runtime for it.

So don't be too quick to dismiss the current emitter. You might find that runtime is worthwhile too. Certainly the U2 in current configuration puts out a TON of light. I'm not sure I'd want to slash my runtimes to get a brighter beam.

i am new at the flashlight thing but i have been eyeing them for awhile. going with the new cree, i noticed for the e2l the output went up from 30 to 45 lumens and the runtime went up from 3hours high + 3 hours useful to 9 hours full-on high plus 5 hours useful light. that is HUGE!

you can check my numbers via the battery junction pages for both the previous and new e2l

so from my limited knowledge, goin g cree does not imply limited runtime.
it depends what brightness they go for. you neglect to mention the specific numbers. the old l1 : 22 lumens high and 1 lumen low
the new l1: 65 lumens high, 10 lumens low.

Brozneo

Enlightened
I have a U2 on the way, just a quick stop in the states for a bit of a mod then it'll be with me soon! Can't wait - I hear so much good stuff about this light but haven't actually seen one face to face yet!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just hope SF replace the emitter (Lux V) with the new TFFC K2 LXK2-PWC4-0200 - i replce mine in Nuwai Lux V ALX 352-AL and the results is very2 good with single 18650 cell with 2xrcr123 3.0v it really a flame thrower the same goes with 2xcr123 :naughty:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
i just hope SF replace the emitter (Lux V) with the new TFFC K2 LXK2-PWC4-0200 - i replce mine in Nuwai Lux V ALX 352-AL and the results is very2 good with single 18650 cell with 2xrcr123 3.0v it really a flame thrower the same goes with 2xcr123 :naughty:

What is the current being pulled from the 18650, also the 2XRCR123's at the three light levels. The ALX 352-AL runs a boost circuit setup for the Lux V and the high mode sort of overdrove the circuit/led. Were you able to check the vf of the led at the three light levels? Questins, questions, questions. The original Lux V put out pretty good light, and if a good WxxT was installed it would have been a flame thrower too.

Bill

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am yet to measure the current draw at the led with the new K2,but with 1x18650 the output is really good and long runtime ( i yet to measure this one as well - i'm not a fan of measuring the runtime - highly unlikely) considering the new K2 can accept up to 1.5A current so shouldn't be a problem later.But i think never power the Nuwai with 2xrcr123 4.2v !
some photos - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182870

skyline_man

Banned
Yeah, maybe a year or so ago it might be worth getting the U2, (i bought one and regretted it ever since), but now there are so many wonderful lights out there that match or even better the U2 in terms of output, build quality and UI for oh so much less money.
One example is the Dereelight CL1H.
Really, $279 is too much nowadays - you are just buying the brand name. But if you can afford it then go ahead.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with nanotech, I wouldn't be surprised if Surefire waits for the new TFFC K2 to put in the U2. This may allow for a cleaner beam, less or no tint variations, etc.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with nanotech, I wouldn't be surprised if Surefire waits for the new TFFC K2 to put in the U2. This may allow for a cleaner beam, less or no tint variations, etc.

and if only SF declare in the specs of each flashlight pack what kind of emitter bin code they use which is again highly unlikely to happen.But if they use the K2 ,one can easily tell the difference by looking through the business end :naughty: