Possible 21700 P60 body & tailcap?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

CPF has more enthusiast/modders/machinist/ than just about anywhere.

I bet if someone here made a straightforward 21700 P60 body & tailcap, that would fit Surefire & Solarforce heads,,
they would sell a ton =$$$:)

I'll take two:paypal:

Anyone else interested??

add: I put this thread here so it wouldn't get lost

scout24

Flashaholic
I'd see if MartinDWhite could bore a three cell SF body from the head end, and run a spacer. He did me an MD3 Malkoff body that way, to run 21700... I'm out right now or I'd micrometer one for you to see if the thickness is there. I'll check back in once home where my tools are. (I have a 9P in my car, but no micrometer... 😁

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at Texas Lumens? They make some reasonably priced 21700 P60 hosts.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at Texas Lumens? They make some reasonably priced 21700 P60 hosts.

I suppose it is reasonable for a totally custom flashlight maker...but it's more than many Surefires. Also they seem to list only a 20700 battery option in addition to their 18650 offerings. I suppose it could just be a "typo" but it is across the site. They call it the Battery bore...so I wouldn't be so sure there.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it is reasonable for a totally custom flashlight maker...but it's more than many Surefires. Also they seem to list only a 20700 battery option in addition to their 18650 offerings. I suppose it could just be a "typo" but it is across the site. They call it the Battery bore...so I wouldn't be so sure there.
Hmm you're right. Seems odd since 20700 is not nearly as popular of a battery size as 21700. You could always email them and see if they'll bore one out for 21700. Looks like there's enough material to handle a loss of 0.5mm wall thickness.

That doesn't help the price situation though.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible to use 21700 cell in 26650 body with spacer.
Z44 hed will fit also possible to use either 26650 or 21700 cell up to 72mm length.

Update: Sep 06-2020
These are just about 75mm long cells and better to call them 21750

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
It appears, to my non- calibrated, non-machinist eye that a 9P could be bored to accept a 21700 cell. The thinnest points would be under the flats of the body, but I think it would be close. You'd have .005/.010 under each flat. You would absolutely need a spacer "dummy cell", the tailcap o-ring area is way too small.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears, to my non- calibrated, non-machinist eye that a 9P could be bored to accept a 21700 cell. The thinnest points would be under the flats of the body, but I think it would be close. You'd have .005/.010 under each flat. You would absolutely need a spacer "dummy cell", the tailcap o-ring area is way too small.
That method works fine with Malkoff because it's easy to take the head off for battery changes, but it seems like it'd be a deal breaker to remove the bezel and drop in from a 9P every battery change.

texas cop

Enlightened
I've been wanting a 20700/21700 P60 since the batteries came out. Texas Lumens started the builds when only the 20700 was on the market. Specifically a 20700 body for the Sanyo NCR20700B. His stuff is thick enough to be bored 21700 an is an option he has. A 15 amp 4000 mah battery would cover all my dropins. I've asked Convoy and Lumen Factory if they would consider. Convoy declined to build a clone of some one else's style. P60 is old and maybe a bit dated, but it's still very viable. Tail cap and body threads would need to be enlarged but when I was doing a model the tube diameter would bump from 25.4mm to 28mm's. Very close to original size for much high capacity. The next year 21700's came out, an extra 1mm is not a deal breaker. I do believe that the host would need some more mass for heat from hotter dropins. I've got a 4.5 amp XHP 50.2 that heats it's Solarforce L2P host but has little excess heat in the heavier P1d.

scout24

Flashaholic
RandomDan- I agree, but was trying to stay within the Orbital's guidelines. The only alternative I see to use SF tailcaps and heads is maybe something like TB's split body (TBSB) for the e-series heads and tails. The 21700 is bigger in diameter than the SF tailcap o-ring groove recess.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
RandomDan- I agree, but was trying to stay within the Orbital's guidelines. The only alternative I see to use SF tailcaps and heads is maybe something like TB's split body (TBSB) for the e-series heads and tails. The 21700 is bigger in diameter than the SF tailcap o-ring groove recess.
I think we interpreted the OP differently. It sounds to me like he is looking for SF head compatibility with a newly produced body and tailcap. Hopefully orbital will jump back in and clarify.

texas cop

Enlightened
While we are mentioning Surefire and Solarforce heads, don't forget Lumen Factory. They just came out with some D36 stuff.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. It sounds to me like he is looking for SF head compatibility with a newly produced body and tailcap..

+

Yep, a newly produced body & tailcap is what I'm leaning toward (machinist wording in op)
Something clean/utility in function, doesn't need to be tacticalX

Don't get me wrong, if you can modify something, that's respectable.
..looking for a bit more plug-in play

scout24

Flashaholic
I think we interpreted the OP differently. It sounds to me like he is looking for SF head compatibility with a newly produced body and tailcap. Hopefully orbital will jump back in and clarify.

👍😁 As long as we're all brainstorming in the same direction.

Strintguy

Enlightened
I noticed FiveMega posted earlier,I wonder if you did a group-buy if he would be willing to do it?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of Fivemega's 1x26650 E-head lights, and one of his 2x26650 C-head lights. Wonderful lights, very versatile, long runtimes. The 1x26650 has a KX2 (E2L) bezel on it. If I want to attach a P60 device, I can put an E2C adapter on it. The 2x26650 has a Z44 bezel with whatever Malkoff I want to run.

I think it would be great if Fivemega came out with 21700 versions of each (generously dimensioned enough to handle all protected-cell versions).

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed FiveMega posted earlier,I wonder if you did a group-buy if he would be willing to do it?

I have one of Fivemega's 1x26650 E-head lights, and one of his 2x26650 C-head lights. Wonderful lights, very versatile, long runtimes. The 1x26650 has a KX2 (E2L) bezel on it. If I want to attach a P60 device, I can put an E2C adapter on it. The 2x26650 has a Z44 bezel with whatever Malkoff I want to run.

I think it would be great if Fivemega came out with 21700 versions of each (generously dimensioned enough to handle all protected-cell versions).

Two of my most-used lights have his bodies on them; great build.

+

for sure!