"Bathroom-trip in the night" flashlight recommendation?

Double-A

Newly Enlightened
I need a flashlight for those in-the-middle-of-the-night visits to the bathroom where I want to avoid turning on the lights, and a regular flashlight won't do.

I'm looking for something that is:
  • not too powerful (I don't want to fully wake up, and will only be used indoors for not bumping into stuff)
  • red light/red filter (I've heard that red light won't mess up your night vision and possibly not mess that much with your sleep)
  • practical for holding/switching on and off (you don't want to fiddle with multi-mode switches, cumbersome/hard to press switches etc.)
  • standard, low cost batteries (AA or AAA)
  • practical size (not too small to easily lose, not too big to be bulky)
  • lasting quality
What will fit this bill, or do you have other suggestions?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore Tube RL

It has a built in Li-Ion cell that is charged via micro USB.

Or maybe a Photon II Microlight. They can be had in many colors and use Standard sized lithium coin cells.

Check out Parametrek website too. You can select all the features you want and it will serve up what fits. Sometimes the options are a bit out of date but I think it is still being maintained. And double-check using a google search or something as sometimes even though a light isn't being made anymore, it's still readily available on other sites.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Zebralight SC5w for that. Takes 1 AA battery. Very low moonlight modes (also very bright modes if you want to use it as an outdoor light). But you can program it to come on to the lowest moonlight mode with a single click, if that's the way you want it configured.

You could put a red filter on it, but I find the low moonlight mode is dim enough to not disturb your night vision or your sleep. So, I wouldn't bother with a red light, unless it doesn't have a very low moonlight mode.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
+1 on the Zebralight. I recommend the SC53c, which is 4000k, and can go extremely low, so you don't need a red filter, it won't wake you up. Just program the lowest mode to the 1 click and you're set.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
I tracked down a used NiteCore SRT3 and it's absolutely perfect in all the ways mentioned. Its lowest output is barely enough to even see the emitter light up during the day, which makes it perfect for midnight toilet runs, and it has a low-output red LED right next to the low mode on the selector ring. The light also tail stands without any issue.

I run it on a Fenix 16340 battery which has a built-in USB port to charge. That's about as economical as it gets, but the light also comes with a AA battery adapter tube so you can run it on whatever you choose. It's small but not tiny, I'd call it just a hair bigger than truly pocket-sized.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a flashlight for those in-the-middle-of-the-night visits to the bathroom... (AA or AAA)

For that application, I choose lights capable of outputting no more than 0.5 lumens.

In fact, I can go down to 0.1 lumen and find that sufficient. At those levels there is no color vision, a red filter is not necessary when the output is sublumen.

for an AAA option, I suggest a
Manker E02, and I recommend the version with Nichia LED
It has a programmable sublumen mode, and uses AAA as you requested
(Im sending you a private message with where to buy info, as that is verbotten to post in public on this forum)

for your application, I do not recommend Lumintop Tools (both AAA and AA)
They are not for sublumen use. (because the lowest mode is 3 lumens)

Another option to consider is the Thrunite Ti3 which has a ridiculously low minimum of 0.04 lumens.. the light is a twisty, and does not come in High CRI, but it would get your job done.. Warning, the latest model has Next Mode Memory. Do NOT buy!
"The flashlight will remember the working mode it was when turned off.It will come on in the next mode in the rotation"

I suggest you choose a light that Always starts on the minimum mode. Or that has Normal Memory, and starts on the last used mode. Or a light that has a shortcut to start on the Lowest mode.

imo the Manker is a better choice, because the minimum level is user selectable, there is a Nichia option, plus I like switches better than twisties, and I hate Next Mode Memory.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
.1 Lumen is very useful in the wee hours. 1 Lumen seems like a searchlight...
I find even 0.01lumen is even quite useful for the middle of the night.

I agree with both of you.. can you suggest a specific light for the OP?

Here is an AA option, with nichia and 4 modes, the low is 0.03 and is excellent for the OP's purposes

L3 Illumination L10 Nichia 219 (AA Twisty)
be sure to buy the 4 mode, in order to get the sublumen level
there is also an L08 (aaa twisty)
and an L11 (AA clicky)

SKV89

Enlightened
Nothing beats the Clemence (Virence.com) modded Tiara Pro with E21A 9080 2000K. The blue wavelength measures even less than all the incandescents I've tested so it will have the least impact on your melatonin of any flashlight in existence. If not, then get the Fireflies E07 w/ SST-2700K 95 CRI. The tint is beautiful and minimum blue wavelength. Also HI CRI and R9 helps you see better with less light. The moonlight is sublumen. You can also custom order it with RED aux lights. Some people prefer using red light at night which is clinically proven to promote sleep.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
"Bathroom-trip in the night" flashlight recommendation?

I find that a light with some kind of always-on secondary illumination (tritium vials lighted, tail switch or low power secondary LEDs in the head) helps a great deal with a bedside light...keeps me from fumbling around blindly through all the other stuff on the nightstand to find the light when it's time to "go". Right now I use a PFlex Pro triple Nichia with a lighted tail switch but the OP won't be able to get one since PFlex Pro is apparently gone.

Before that I frequently used an Emisar D42...with the multi-colored secondary LEDs in the head. Super easy to find in the dark.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Bathroom-trip in the night" flashlight recommendation?

I find that a light with some kind of always-on secondary illumination (tritium vials lighted, tail switch or low power secondary LEDs in the head) helps a great deal with a bedside light...keeps me from fumbling around blindly through all the other stuff on the nightstand to find the light when it's time to "go".

I agree with this. When I stay somewhere that I need to find my light in the dark, I usually use my Lumintop EDC05C, since the diffuser on the side light glows most of the night. Also, the diffuser for the Lumintop Tool glows a long time and can fit other lights of similar diameter bezels.

I'd prefer a dimly lit switch to find the light and switch in the dark, but don't currently have a light that is has warm tint, lighted switch and sublumen low.

My Folomov EDC C2 would do the trick, if the switch was lit. Does adequately with the Tool diffuser cap.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also like the Folomov LED, but it does not use the type of batteries the OP wants

I love my Jetbeam Rotary, but again, not the batteries the OP wants...

a Rotary AA option is the Sunwayman V11r with the optional AA extender.
the lowest mode on mine is 0.01 lumens

I agree
tritium works really well to locate a light on a nightstand

an AA light that can be purchased, off the shelf without modification, and
has tritiums,
a sublumen low and a
High CRi LED

is the Reylight Lan,
the lowest mode is 0.2 lumens

I recently started experimenting with adding tritiums to some of my lights.. its not difficult, and imo does not require specially machined slots for a nightstand application.
TPfxh0ul.jpg

I tested banging the tail of those lights on my table.. nothing broke..
Ive carried those lights in my pocket with keys, coins and moneyclip.. no broken trits..

I plan to add some tritiums to my V11r, for use on the nightstand...
on the left in the next pic (w AA extender installed)... PM me if you want a purchase link
5oLdZnwl.jpg

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been using a Photo Microlight Pro or whichever one has adjustable output (don't remember, it's been so many years) for over a decade for this exact purpose. Press hold and it comes on in ultra low moonlight which is plenty bright (too lazy to look up the specs on what the output level is). I have it attached to a neck lanyard that I just throw over my head before making the trip to the bathroom. Can't lose it or drop it this way and it's always pointed in the right direction. It weighs practically nothing and the batteries last for YEARS without needing recharging. I've replaced the batteries once or twice in all those years, using it like this. IMO, there is no better light setup for this purpose.

I realize this doesn't take your preferred battery but when they only need replacing every 5 years or so, I don't see an issue with that. Once the light starts to dim even on the lowest setting, you still have WEEKS to get new batteries before they completely die.

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened

I just realize you want AAA or AA lights. The JetUE21A with the E21A 2000K would be the ideal light for bedside use. It currently says sold out but you can ask Clemence to see when or if he can get more.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I need a flashlight for those in-the-middle-of-the-night visits to the bathroom where I want to avoid turning on the lights, and a regular flashlight won't do.

I'm looking for something that is:
  • not too powerful (I don't want to fully wake up, and will only be used indoors for not bumping into stuff)
  • red light/red filter (I've heard that red light won't mess up your night vision and possibly not mess that much with your sleep)
  • practical for holding/switching on and off (you don't want to fiddle with multi-mode switches, cumbersome/hard to press switches etc.)
  • standard, low cost batteries (AA or AAA)
  • practical size (not too small to easily lose, not too big to be bulky)
  • lasting quality
What will fit this bill, or do you have other suggestions?

For this very purpose I wear to bed every night a lanyard with a Nitecore Tube on it; I simply need to feel it and click it on.

The light shines down toward them ground, gives ample spill, and I dont have to hold it. Sometimes it gets shut off until I return to bed.

I've mentioned many a time before that I love lanyards, in fact, almost as much as light on a lanyard. :)

- LetThereBeLight!

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the Zebralight. I recommend the SC53c, which is 4000k, and can go extremely low, so you don't need a red filter, it won't wake you up. Just program the lowest mode to the 1 click and you're set.

+1more for the SC53. I use the "press and hold for low" method (standard, out of the box, programming). I find it comforting to know that I can just click on for a standard flashlight if I need it. Also, once it's on in low mode, I can double click for a slightly higher low mode if I need just a tiny bit more light.