Computer went berserk!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Totally berserk! Firefox was wierded-out and insisted on a new tab for every click. Mouse's scroll button wouldn't work. I couldn't read a msg in Hotmail or my ISP's account. Clicking on a desktop application resulted in 25+ bizarre error windows- one for every icon! I was unable to reboot via the start button. I did a hard (reset) restart twice! (Win2K OS) Went to my msconfig.exe hack and shut down a bunch of stuff and hard-restarted again. Couldn't even run Spybot S&D. I finally was able to do a full Norton AV which found nothing after a full hour! I gave up and headed to CPF. Edit: My Zona Alarm firewall and Norton AV icons didn't show on the taskbar/didn't load on hard-reboot start-up either, adding to my paranoia! I went to make a post, and found my shift button was stuck down!!!!!!!! :crackup:

Computers! :rant:

Larry

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i was reading post thinking a dignoses .i was guessing memory that was flakey gotsa love simple answers.i go thru a lot a keyboards

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for sharing Larry! I was too frustrated yesterday to post - as I spent MOST of the day working on my home network.

It started with me thinking I was going to 'stepup' my network security. Had several software conflicts/configurations set incorrectly. Ended up knocking printer access down on two systems, lost Internet access on my main access point, but still had it on the two satellites - finally got it all back up and running.

This is the "nutshell version" for sure!! Just "feeling your pain"!! :D

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
:crackup: I had something similar happen, but my computer wouldn't stop "chirping". I forget what the culprit key was.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had similar symptoms and indeed it was the keyboard only the keys were physically ok, something inside of it died.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
To that I can add I really needed a 2-3 hour torture session by "Uncle Bill!!"! My pickup (4.7L V8/automatic, Y2K) Dodge Dakota is in the shop for a transmission rebuild 50K miles as of last weekend.= $3.5K) A rental i$ in my garage. (POS Chevy Malabu at my expen$e!) (My next PU will be spelled: T-O-Y-O.....!) I am up-against-the-wall at work and have to kiss-off 9-days of vaca and 4 shutdown-days this year and have to fly to Providence, R! for the 21st!) Ain't been l**d in 20 years, and my house's drains are slowing-down. :( Happy freekin' holidays! :D

May you rot in Hades, Uncle Bill, and may I meet you there to make your stay a little less pleasant!

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*
tvodrd said:
To that I can add I really needed a 2-3 hour torture session by "Uncle Bill!!"! My pickup (4.7L V8/automatic, Y2K) Dodge Dakota is in the shop for a transmission rebuild 50K miles as of last weekend.= $3.5K) A rental i$ in my garage. (POS Chevy Malabu at my expen$e!) (My next PU will be spelled: T-O-Y-O.....!) I am up-against-the-wall at work and have to kiss-off 9-days of vaca and 4 shutdown-days this year and have to fly to Providence, R! for the 21st!) Ain't been l**d in 20 years, and my house's drains are slowing-down. :( Happy freekin' holidays! :D

May you rot in Hades, Uncle Bill, and may I meet you there to make your stay a little less pleasant!

Larry
holly crap i dont miss driveing after reading that.i can fix most stuff on cars and trucks but auto tranys are so confsueing but they should last 200 k ya should get a ford ranger there great trucks so good they make the mazda trucks or used to

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Interesting....

I just got off the phone with my step daughter. SHe was having strange problems. Unable to read certain web pages, strange error messages... The problems resolved when she forced Norton to do a fresh update.

I suspect her virus definition files were corrupted, causing Norton to go ape sh...^h^h^h^h^h banannas. Updating Norton fixed the problem.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Add to that, the work box has been crashing/freezing at least once a day for the last couple weeks. It locked-up on me twice this morning, and on the second hard reset, I stuck my head into BIOS. CPU was at 88degC! CPU fan RPM was all over the place at 60-300. :green: I shut it down and waited until the stores opened to go buy a new one. I work for a Fortune 100 company, and know better than to call the IT "Help Desk." :crackup: I think I have the only AMD-based box in the building, and it's ~2years old. I ain't ready to upgrade!

Larry

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I was having a problem similar to that some time ago. I thought it was bad memory, a dying CPU, or some malware. Turns out that my cheap KVM switch likes to "softlock" a shify key every now and then. I just tap both shift keys twice and it's fixed.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Are you running Firefox 1.5? I hear it has some bugs. Also, all other versions of Firefox suffer from a memory leak if the browser has been open for several hours. Especially, if many pages are open.