Flashlight Grip Tape?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
I have a Pila GL4 and its not the easiest torch to hold onto. Even though the body has a knurled finish it is very fine/smooth. I'm looking for something to put around the body of the flashlight so there is less of a chance of it slipping and me dropping it. Especially when my hands are very dry.

I like the basic concept of the Brinkman Maxfire LX light with the rubberized sheath around body of the light and wondered if there was some material that would be good for this purpose.

My only criteria is that it look professional. I don't want a "ghetto" looking flashlight. I'd prefer something rubberized.

If i could find another flashlight that had the same body size as a Pila GL4 with a rubberized sheath i'd sacrafice it and put it on the Pila. The Brinkman is too small, i already tried it. :awman:

Here is a link to what the Pila GL4 looks like (for reference):
http://www.pila-usa.com/pilagl4.htm

iNDiGLo

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you can find a thin bicycle inner tube, you can cut it to size and slip it over the body. I had a similar setup on my 4D Mag for a long time (you'd obviously need a thinner rubber tube). I always thought it looked nice (and it's great when it's really cold outside; your fingers don't freeze upon contact).

I don't know if they make hot-shrink-tubing large enough to fit over the GL4 before shrinking it.

Yet another set of options would be to use those sports tape that people use to wrap around tennis racquets (sp?), hockey sticks, squash, etc. There's the soft, squishy kind, and there's alse the cloth-type. They usually come in a variety of colors too.

juancho

Enlightened
What you want is Pachmayr Pac Skin, a neoprene cover with self stick under surface.

I use that in the flashlights that go in my trunk, for insulating from the cold when I need them in winter.

Here it is:

S5300069.jpg

It is the one up-front, the older one in the background and to the left is not maked anymore, you cut the Pac Skin with a razor blade to the shape you want.
Available from some shooters suppliers.
Juan C.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Well, this probably won't cut your "professional" standard, but it's sure cheap... and it works:

-->> RUBBER BANDS -- stretched tight and wrapped to form ridges around the light's barrel.

It's a variation of the old "poor mans' Pachmayrs" trick, i.e., rubber bands wrapped around a smooth-wood revolver grip. Served a lot of old-time cops/detectives rather well, too. If ya wanta get fancy, you can use a variety of colors for an up-town/Saturday night/high-pimpin' fashion statement, or ya can just go with dull tan and gray for the, umm, Brooks Brothers pinstripe look.

Since I'm pretty secure about my, uhh, manhood, my personal favorites are the thick purple rubber bands that grocery stores use to wrap bunches of asparagus! They work magnificently on my (formerly) slick-gripped Inovas!

The babes love the look, too... especially the ones who walk the streets for, ahh, cardiovascular stimulation.

Low-tech solution. High-tech results. Can't beat the price.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
TonkinWarrior :crackup: you crack me up.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. I'll probably experiment to find out what works the best. I'll probably start out with the black heat shrink tubing.

:thanks:

Skyclad01

Enlightened
This is an on the spot thought (hence ive never tried or experimented with it). But what about (cheap priced) bicycle grips? Speicifcally the push on ones for 10 speed bikes?

pizzaman

Enlightened
indi,

I just picked up some great stuff at my local hardware store in the electrical department. I can't find the original label, but it was called something like "friction tape". It is a rubberized tape with a very tacky surface (not rough like sand paper). It is used on tool handles and sports handles (like baseball bats and tennis raquets). The width is the same as electrical tape.

I originally purchased it for a Cyclops flashlight. This is a great little tool light, but being metal it was cold, and the texture wasn't aggressive enough to prevent slip. After wrapping the body with the friction tape there is ZERO chance of this thing slipping from my hand. It feels like stick'um, but no residue. I didn't really like it at first, but it is growing on me. The tackiness has reduced a bit and is almost perfect for a no-slip-grip. It is also much warmer to the touch. Probably help with heat during summer as well. Amazing and strange stuff.

This past weekend I wrapped the handle of a small hatchet (don't want that baby slipping). Excellent!

For those that don't want something so tacky (feel, not looks), try some of the new bicycle handlebar tape. It comes in all kinds of designer looks and various thicknesses. There is cloth, rubberized and foam. Something to please everyone. Go to a good bicycle shop, not a wally world or sporting goods store.

My beater lights are going to get the friction tape treatment. When I do some fancy mag-lite mod I'll be eyeing some of the designer bicycle tape to enhance the look and feel of my personal project.

The friction tape looks practical, not ghetto. The bicycle tape is cool enough looking that you will have the babes checking out your fancy torch! :naughty:

Good luck, TR

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Hey, Indiglo:

To piggyback on Pizzaman's nifty friction-tape idea, why not slip some of those recycled Purple Asparagus Rubber Bands right over that tape?

The tape'll really hold 'em in place, plus the rubber-band covered tape won't be so prone to attracting pocket-lint, stray pubic hairs, chewing-gum and condom wrappers, and fruit flies.

Besides, asparagus is good for you! Lotsa fiber.

-->> Organic-vegetarian-high-fiber flashlights, anyone?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Some good suggestions here. . .How about those baseball bat tape? They have the "rubber" type as well as the "leather" type too. They're cheap and readily available at most sporting goods retailer. You can cut/trim to suit your particular torcher.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
At some hardware stores, they sell this rubberizing grip in a paint-like can. You dip tool handles in them and they come out with a tight, rubber coat perfectly formed around even odd shapes. You'd have to tape off what you didn't want to dip, and then trim the edges with a razor but it's cool stuff.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Yeah but make sure you follow the directions on that one. And be sure to have LOTS of ventilation or you'll get "high" and have brain damage. That's to prolonged exposure though.

You see that stuff on tools handles. . .Great idea ROVER!

Pila_Power

Enlightened
As with all these suggestions, don't forget to keep in mind always heat dissipation requirements.

Perhaps leave gaps between rings of the grip tape or something? :shrug:

Just a thought.

Tim.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
ROVER said:
At some hardware stores, they sell this rubberizing grip in a paint-like can. You dip tool handles in them and they come out with a tight, rubber coat perfectly formed around even odd shapes. You'd have to tape off what you didn't want to dip, and then trim the edges with a razor but it's cool stuff.
-------------------

Hey, ya know, with the rampant spread of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs), that gives me a great idea for, uhh, Protection.

On second thought, I don't think that "trimming the edges with a razor" stuff would sell... odd-shapes not withstanding.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It looks a trifle ghetto, but the cloth "Sport Tape" that I get from Wallyworld puts a very nice surface on some of my lights. Ghetto in that it is low gloss, and you can see the layers.

But like Tonkin, I don't really give a hoot what others think!!!

marcspar

Enlightened
I use the yellow silicone tape from Duluth Trading on my HD45; it works perfectly, adding just a enough tackiness. The best part is that it is only adhesive to itself so when you remove it, there is absolutely no residue.

Here's their description:

"Use for emergency hose repairs, tool grip wraps, jumper cable insulation, to repair extension cords and more! This Miracle Tape stretches to "form fit" around any size object, forming a permanent air and watertight seal to fix that leaky pipe or radiator hose. Resistant to fuels, oils and saltwater, and can even be applied underwater. It fuses to itself in 24 hours, and is "non-sticky" so it's easy to apply. Plus, it won't get gooey in hot weather, or crack and peel in cold temperatures. Pack of 6 rolls each measure 1"x 10'. Keep this tape in your tool box and be prepared for quick emergency repairs! Made in USA"

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/22204.aspx

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Marc

Longbow

Enlightened
I use a single 0-ring (thick cross-section, smallish ID) installed 1" from the tail end of the flashlight. This serves as an effective "stop" to prevent slippage through one's fingers.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
What works for me, and most of these have already been mentioned, are a). friction tape, b). sticky backed bicycle handle bar tape (the stuff without adhesive is a pain to use), and c). foam bicycle handle bar pads (will fit some lights easily and some others with a whole lot of effort).

Friction tape is the easiest to find, and while it sometimes will have a funky adhesive smell for a while, it provides the best grip and works well for insulating if layered. The handle bar foam tubing is the softest and best for using in cold weather, imho. All of these come off if needed.

juancho

Enlightened
Greenlight,

Here you are,
The Pac Skin by Pachmayr is the proffesional way to do it, check how it protect my camcorder, I also use the tape in a inexpensive shotgun that have reverse chekering (non functional) for better grip when I am pumping fast shots.

I haven't have the need to put it in my smaller flashlights, mostly Surefires which don't need any help from a tape as they have sharp knurling as they are.

But it is a great help in the big 6 D that I keep in the trunk of the car as they get very cold in the winter.

By the way the 6 D is modded with aluminum reflector, Pyrex lens and two of the battery sticks from a Magcharger, together with a WA 01166 bulb.

morepacskin.jpg

Juan C.