Soft White LED

BackBlast

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me that the "white" LEDs tend to remain on the blueish side of things and even when not oviously so, they seem to lack light in the red to yellow spectrums. Are there any soft white 1W LEDs around?

Ged

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check out the "snow" leds used by Peak LED solutions. To my eye they are very "pure" white, which suggests a fairly good spectrum. OTOH, the eye is easily fooled, the color rendering may still be off.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the "snow" Led to be very cool in hue- there is a slight warm/yellow in the center, and the corona is "cool" white- some might say it looks a tiny bit blue or green. In comparison, the CS nichia has some more obvious blue in the center, but is surrounded by more warm yellow tones. Neither of these produce light that is anything like an incandecent source.

As far as 1watt LED are concerned, I find its just a matter of "conditioning yourself" to them. Even the luxeons I have that look straight up yellow to me in comparison are often considered bluish by people you have never seen them before. I haven't seen the warm white in action, but I was under the impression that it is far less efficient than Lumiled's regular white offerings and that is why we don't see it in portable flashlight applications.

You might want to look at "WO" color binned white luxeons and drive them below spec for a warmer white tint.