LEDs function as solar cells?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some years ago I fooled with some leds from a grab bag at radio shack and noticed that when I shined light on them, they generated a few milivolts.

Has anyone else noticed this? Do the Luxeon leds make more power? Do leds in brightly lit areas use more or less power? Is there any pratical application here?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, it's true - they're technically a bidirectional transducer. Some LEDs are more efficient than others. I haven't tried a white one because I'm assuming that the phosphor coating will reduce the sensitivity of the photovoltaic effect.

Some of us have put a certain type of green LED to use as a photovoltaic cell for a makeshift laser power meter for our greenies, so that little phenomenon comes in handy at times!

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Most diodes are light sensitive, leds are sensitive near but not exactly at their emmitted color. Back in the dark ages of LEDs (late 60s) I worked on a voice over light beam system that used a yellow silicon carbide LED as both the transmitter and detector. Worked pretty well as a "push-to-talk" link for a hundred meters or so.

In the mid eighties I designed a frequency synthisizer for a satallite receiver. My boss, fun loving guy that he was, asked an engineer who didn't like me at all to certify it to FCC specs. After a couple of weeks screwing with it he thought he finally had me, there was 6dB excess 120 Hz noise on the signal that wasn't there when I passed it on to him. I went over check it out and took a brief look at his setup and told him he had a test setup problem and I'd be back after lunch to fix it. Went to lunch with my boss and some other Veeps and stopped in a drug store for some deep red nail polish. On the way back to our offices the three Veeps and I went by the test setup (and one fuming engineer). A drop of the "Magic Red Potion" on the frequency control varactor and the noise dropped 20dB. He had removed the cover from the box and the green emmission line from the flouresent lights was being picked up by the diode.

Geezer Engineer 1, Young Punk 0...