Any Drummers in the house??

Topper

Flashaholic*
A family member recently got a Drum set and with Christmas just around the corner I thought extra Drumsticks would be easy to git as a gift. Boy I was flat wrong; there are lots of sizes and tips on some are wood some are nylon
and I do not want to buy a book to learn how to shop for drumsticks so I could use some help on sticks. I already picked up some brushes that slide in and out and bought something called "Hot Rods" that look like little sticks bundled up so now we are talking normal sticks I guess. Yes of course I bought a cowbell with a clamp to mount to the bass got to have more cowbell. Any help if there are Drummers out there would be nice.
Topper

Zephyr

Enlightened
Hello Topper

I am not a drum expert or anything, but maybe I can help you out a bit. Like what you said, there are numerous amount of drum sticks out there to choose from. For instance, jazz drummers like to use sticks that are a little bit on the lighter side like size 5A or 5B for instance. Depending on their application, they might want to use a nylon tip or just a simple wooden tip. Nylon tip drums sticks will give you more definition on the cymbals. Nylon tip drum sticks will also last a little bit longer than wooden tip drum sticks. But, wooden drum sticks will give you warmth and subtlety when play softer more controlled situation. In essence, what kind of music does your family member play? Does your family member play rock, contemporary, jazz, etc?

One thing to remember about drummers who are experienced in their crafts, they are very picky about their instruments. Or at least, I am. I have a specific drum stick that I prefer on using, certain drum heads that I'd rather use, and certain "feel" I'd rather have when playing my instrument

Please, let me know if I could be of any assistance to you

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Topper!

You already may have heard of an online site called www.drumbalaya.com. There's just too much.

My brother is a drummer and like Zephyr stated, "they are very picky about their instruments." He played in an underground club in SFO some years ago with Metallica as back-up drummer. Thought he was pulling my leg until he should me the video! YES he was indeed drumming with them and it was caught all on tape!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Contemporary Christian is the main plan to play in the church band, I have no doubt that a little rock and roll is also on the agenda just not mentioned (easier to get drums in my family if its church related) however as I have every Led Zeppelin song on my computer as well as a strong liking for Classic I can deal with it...as long as they don't play country when I am around its all good. I was thinking a 7A or 7AN was smaller would equal quieter but not sure.
A guy could go numb trying to figure it out from scratch. Thanks for your replies as they are using their first drum set they do not preferences yet.
Topper

Zephyr

Enlightened
Yes, 7A, 7AN, 7B is just a good size for Contemporary Christian music application. I play mostly Contemporary Christian music too in my church and I use Vater Recording Hickory sticks as it's just the right size for me in terms of diameter and length. If the stick diameter is a little too small, you can always wrap a Pro-Mark Stick Rapp to widen the diameter a little bit and increase the grip of the stick to the hand. Please, let me know if you have any more questions or concern.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey!! How do you know when a drummer's at the door??

The Knock speeds up!!
tomatos.gif

j/k

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, but seriously, buy him a metronome! It's the most important thing he could get along with a set of headphones to play along with his favorite songs.
dancing.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'll 3rd the "they're picky"

I haven't played in (mumble mumble 25 mumble years) but picking sticks is a personal deal

One possible option, as he is a NEW drummer, is he won't know what he likes yet - as far as weight, tip etc. Go and buy him 1/2 dozen - dozen pairs of different styles - catch them on sale, and it won't break the bank (I've seen nice sticks on sale for < $4 a pair)

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
My #1 annoyance and the thingy that didn't come standard with my drumset when (way, way back) I was a drummer: something that actually worked to keep the bass drum from skidding forward. Stuff like that isn't a personal thing, just functional and necessary. Not very holiday-ish, though. I do like the metronome idea better.

There's always cymbals. That's kinda a personal thing too, but they're like potato chips meaning you can never have enough so it's hard to go wrong for that reason. I don't know how much a Sabian is these days.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a suggestion...get him/her a gift certificate to the local Music/Drum/Guitar shop, then he can get the sticks he/she wants.:p

Hi Top, how have you been.:wave:

And yes more cowbell!!!:laughing:

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
Thanks guys, I will check into the metro tick tick thing my sister had one as a kid learning piano so I do know what it is. The Drum set came with 5 drums and 2 cymbals a hi-hat and a crash/ride whatever that means. I found an assortment of 9 sets of sticks on eBay and contacted the seller to find out if the sticks were marked as to size and was told nope they are not but drummers will know the size anyway. One E-mail later and this guy was marking them with a magic marker just for me so I would be able to tell what my new drummer likes I thought that was nice as the price was the same. As for sliding around I got some carpet squares to put down for that area no problems so far. This could turn into something more costly than flashlights real fast, or they will just sit like the electric guitars and Bass seem to do most the times. When my sons pals come over for the weekend it tends to get loud some of them play a lot it is funny when one or to run down into the basement to ask me if its OK if they tune and play the guitars, "where is Eric"
" Uh we don't know but he is here somewhere I think" Oops I type so slow Hi Beamhead things are mostly fine the gift certificate would be a good idea for A birthday in January (Eric turns 15 on the fifth)
Topper

Last edited:

makar

Enlightened
Make sure he wears ear protection. they look uncool but i did not use them and got tinitus. a defect where's always a high whistling in the ear. i had to stop playing the drums to prevent even higher damage.
Marc

AlCanada1

Newly Enlightened
A couple of useful drummer gifts...Stick bag, drink holder to mount onto the hat stand.

I have a U-Drum (check em out on the web, awesome kits!) custom kit, Gretsch snare (back-up), Sabian cymbals, Pro-Mark sticks. Play blues everything Monday and Thursday nights..