More "proof" people are getting fatter

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I know this will hardly constitute scientific proof of increased girth, not that we need any more proof than already exists, but I realized something today when I was buying some pants. A local liquidation store had a $9.99 sale on pants. I ran since all my pants can charitably be called "weathered", some even air-conditioned. They had about 200 pairs by my estimate. I managed to find 5 pairs in my size (36/30, sadly up a bit from 34/30 in high school). I think there may have been one or two more pairs that size in the entire lot but 5 was all I was looking for. Just then it hit me. Most of the other sizes ranged from 30" to 34" waists, with a few 38s and 40s. Nothing larger than 40 in the whole bunch. Remember that this is a liquidation store. They specialize in buying big lots of what other stores can't sell and then passing on the savings. What this basically means, at least in my mind, is that males with 34" and under waists are a disappearing breed but the large sizes obviously sold out.

Now I know full well this observation is entirely adhoc as well as limited in scope but I thought others might get a laugh out of it. Moral of the story-stay thin, or at least don't get too fat, and you'll get clothes at bargain prices. And despite any thoughts to the contrary, I still feel fat and need to lose weight. :green:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see it everyday; people taking one and a half seats on the train or bus. A row of three seats usually only holds two people. Is it the growth of people or the shrinking of the seats, I bet the former.

I have a hard time sometimes finding a 30/30 pair of pants, let alone 29/30. So maybe I should let myself gain a few inches, lol NOT!

Obesity and Type II Diabetes are sky rocketing in the US...

M.TEX

Enlightened
:awman: don't be sad .... My Levis is 30/30 and lots of time I can't
find at Sears....or other stores...
Ohhh well maybe I need more food.....:popcorn:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
It doesn't stop at clothes...

Seat Belt Extenders

The Great John Toilet

Solution?

bppark6wf.jpg

I'll give credit where credit is due:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1781022

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was pretty fat as a kid, and am slim now at 26. I only weigh 30 pounds more then I did in elementary school. I credit it to not drinking soda, and drinking water consistantly all day. If my pee ain't clear, I need another glass!
I actually went back into my closet a few years ago, and dug up some of my middle school shirts that I outgrew, and wear them now. Last year I finally broke down and bought new swim trunks, because I was wearing the same pair from middle school.
I have a twin who's about 50lbs heavier, for some reason he stayed the same size during highschool while I continued to drop a few pounds every year. He's not fat, but compared to him, people call me skinny. Lifes funny that way.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
JTR, you and I wear exactly the same size pants :D

I wore a 32 in high school, ranged up to a 34 when I started a real job and started sitting in a chair all day, and got the last 2 when my wife was pregnant for the first time I sat around and ate all day along with my wife ;)

I've stayed a comfortable 36 since then, but I just can't seem to make the last 2 inches go away :) I've lost weight and gained weight, but the waist wont go down... I think I'm hitting middle age...

I'm so confident of my size that I actually ordered my last pair of jeans online! There was no retailer for my favorite style jeans in town here. which means it's been more than 2 years since I've bought pants... Since we moved here 2 years ago and I had no idea what was in the malls or not.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I am a 36/32. I have come a long way from the 29-30/30 days of HS. :laughing: It is alot harder at 35 to drop even the slightest weight. I had surgery 6 months ago and dropped 10 or 12lbs because of the pain meds, but now that is almost back... :awman:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
well i wear 36/34 but hell im just a big guy and yeah if you want to see more proof of the whole big clothes sold out thing look on sierratradingpost.com you will see a bunch of really really nice goretex jackets that retail for like 400 dollars marked down to aobut 100 bucks reason all are size small and x small to bad i need a large

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I was a 32-32 in highschool, and seemed like forever. I've been a 36-32 for abt 10 yrs. :(

Larry

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. I'm 5"10.5" and was 32-32 in high school (class of '81). In the past six or seven years, I've alternated between 36-32 and 34-32. When I get down so the 34's are pretty comfortable, I'm pretty skinny so I don't think short of starvation I could ever get back to 32-32.

tvodrd said:
I was a 32-32 in highschool, and seemed like forever. I've been a 36-32 for abt 10 yrs. :(

Larry

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not only not scientific, it's not a proof of an increase at all.

As someone who has to buy larger sizes for the last 20 years, let me tell you that the lack of large sizes has been there a long time. Some manufacturers simply distribute sizes way off what the general populace needs and needed.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
about 5 years ago, I was a waist 36,and even that was getting tight-I was figuring I would be moving up to a size 38. I stopped drinking ANY pop (diet and regular), and stopped eating any fast food,too. That,along with a change in my job duties that had me on my feet most of the day caused the pounds to just melt away. now a 34 is loose on me.I intend to keep it this way, and I weigh myself every night. If I go up even a pound or two from my weight, I cut back on even the small amount of stuff I eat now,until I am back where I want to be.

I do Civil War reenacting, and it is a point of pride with me that I can wear "issue" sized uniforms. (The original uniforms only came in four sizes back in the CW) I've got too much invested in these uniforms to gain weight now!:laughing: