Easy mods?

Kershaw

Enlightened
I found an old mag 3D laying around and am wondering what mods i could do on it that do not require any soldering or machining. Any suggestions?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely a mag85 mod.
You will need;
An aluminum reflector.
A ucl glass lense.
A 9AA drop in adaptor.
A potted Welch Allyn 1185 bulb.
9 decent rechargeable nimh AA batteries and charger(s) for them.
No soldering, or machining needed.
Just a lot of parts swapping to turn your light into a real eye opener. :rock:

Kershaw

Enlightened
Thanks 3rd_shift. Could you give me a list of what parts exactly to use and where to get them? Thanks a lot!

NetMage

Enlightened
UCL lens: flashlightlens.com
nimh batteries: Wal-mart Ray-O-Vac 1800s are good; Energizer 15 minute charger is good or a Triton if you're serious
9AAA-3D adapter: See modamag's sale in Group Buys

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, for something you can get done today, assuming you have a 3 cell Krypton (not Xenon) bulb in there now, remove the 3 D cells and replace them with 4 C cells. The tailcap spring should be cut down, but you can make it work.

This is nearly as bright as the 3x123+KPR113 mod in the 2C body, but with longer runtime and potentially cheaper cells.

And you can always sputter the reflector.

Kershaw

Enlightened
The above post is for modamags battery holders but i like that you can charge fivemaga's whole battery pack but he is sold out of 3d packs. Do you guys think i should wait for fivemaga's 3ds to come in or make a Mag11 with fivemaga's 2d battery pack?

Kershaw

Enlightened
Another question, when i use the light i want it to have relativity good throw but also would like it to have a good beam pattern, would MOP be the way to go reflector wise?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOP is quite good, but LOP will not dissapoint either.
MOP = less beam artifacts and slightly less output.
LOP = slightly better output, but reveals more beam artifacts (albeit less so than stock mirror smooth reflectors will)
Just take whichever one is available and enjoy it. :)

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
Another option for the battery holder is Modamag's..you will just will have to remove the cells and charge them in a 10 bay AA charger.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go to taskled.com get a fatman, then get a LuxV.... and get a regulated LuxV Mag.
Or get an nFlex and a LuxIII (or K2) switch the MagSwitch to momentary and you got a very clean and nice mod and easy to do. Oh yeah you would need a hotlip as well.

Check out my Mag2Dto4C
Might provide some more ideas....

good luck

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like rechargable cells here's one that's dirt simple for a 3D M/\g:

Reverse the spring in the tailcap and then reassemble with 4C NiCD or NiMH cells. Now your light will run on rechargeables -- without the volatge drop penalty you'd pay by just swapping 3D Alkalines with 3D NiMH or NiCD cells. (4.5V vs 3.6V)

At 4.8V it'll be a little brighter than stock but it shouldn't take that much off the original bulbs life.

Last edited:

Kershaw

Enlightened
What energizers batteries and charger should i purchase for a Mag11 to use in fivemega's 6aa 2d holder?

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
I got 8 Energizer AA Nmhd cells and a 4 cell charger for 20 bucks...cheapest i can find for that many plus a charger...Sam's club. Hope this helps.