L2 vs L4 beamshots?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
They have identical beam patterns, so no shot is necessary.
The L2 should be a bit brighter since it is driven harder, but as there is the Luxeon Lottery at play this will not always be the case.
bernie

JanCPF

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
[snip]:The L2 should be a bit brighter since it is driven harder...
Has this actually been confirmed, or are we just guessing. I've never seen a current meassurement comparing the two, though that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't been done of course.

Jan

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
I was just looking for side by side, so i could see a decent comparison of the two. thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Jan ... I don't remember any current measurements, but when comparing the runtimes of the two lights it is aparent that the L2 runs regulated for a much shorter duration than the L4.
bernie

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm? I thought the L2 was only regulated on low. Am I remember the wrong info? Obviously, I don't have an L2, but I will say the regulation on the L4 blows me away. I've only had it for a couple of months, and I'm still on the first set of batteries. Of course, I don't use it as much as some other lights I have, but I know it must be close to dropping out of regulation and every time I turn it on I'm always amazed that it's still at full brightness. I checked brightness of the used batteries against new ones, and it's the same. Really, really amazing!

Edit: Just starting thinking/remember.... I think I remember the pointlessness of a regulated low being pointed out before, as it would just be a waste of power at that level, so maybe regulation on low isn't what it has. I also think I remember people saying that the L2 might be a little bit bright initially, but after a very short while they appear to be exactly the same. <--That's what made me think that perhaps the L2 wasn't regulated on high, beause, reportedly, the brightness lessens a bit after a short while. I guess that only says that the regulation isn't as good as the regulation in the L4.

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't both the L2 and L4 have a KL4 head, with the L2 having a different design based on the driver in the tailcap which sends more power to the LED?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beams are very similar at worst, identical at best. The L2 on high might seem to have more throw than the L4 because it's pushing twice as bright.

Basically, you wouldn't really chose one over the other because you didn't like the beam of one.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
grnamin said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't both the L2 and L4 have a KL4 head, with the L2 having a different design based on the driver in the tailcap which sends more power to the LED?

The L4 uses the KL4 head with the circuit in the head. The L4 uses the same Z57 tailcap as the E2E/E1E.

The L2 uses a "dumb" head with the circuits in the body (not in the tailcap & not in the head).
The L2 uses the same tailcap as the L1 & A2.

grnamin

Enlightened
Thanks, Hoghead. I thought my eyes were deceiving me at first, but that should explain why the L2 head looks a bit like the KL4, albeit seemingly shorter.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Since the L2 drives a LuxV with 2x123 a high level wouldn't be possible without regulation. On the L2, both levels are regulated, but the high level is brighter than the KL4 (L4) and therefor blessed with less runtime.
You can use a McE2S tailcap from McGizmo to make a 2-stage L4, but the low level would then be unregulated.
bernie

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah! (I should have thought of that!) (refering to Kiessling's pointing out that 2 X 123 needs regulation to operate)

Kalle

Newly Enlightened
I was allowed to compare the L2 with the L4 and could see really no difference between the beam patterns. The L2 was also in no way brighter than the L4.
This is the cause why I´m the owner of a L4 :grin2: ... the L2 was to big/long for me. The L2 is to big to carry it comfortably in a trouser pocket.
I know the review on flashlightreviews came to another result, but perhaps I have a very bright L4...:)