Most Women....

Longbow

Enlightened
Are afraid to mention their weight, and most CPF'ers are afraid to mention their (in their BIO) age. Why is that?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as age, probably don't want to look young around the others, or don't want to seem old to others. heheheh. Silly it goes both ways.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think it might have to do with generational sterotypes as well, and not wanteing to be associated with a specific group but rather be know for who they are, how they act, and what they know.

-Mike

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definately against posts asking for age. I wish Sasha made a rule against it, as well as some guidelines for our young members to follow. I realize it's difficult to enforce but it may help as a deterant for potential predators.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Many women are afraid to reveal their weight for fear of being judged for it. It's a silly thing to be judged for, as a person's worth is NOT determined by the size of their clothes, but it still happens.

nethiker

Enlightened
It's not so much a fear as it is a desire to maintain some measure of privacy. I've disclosed many personal details in my posts on CPF just as I have learned a great deal about others. I just don't think it's necessary to make it too easy for someone to learn about me without taking the time to participate themselves.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I'm not going to address the women and weight thing. I've learned from hard experience, the "don't ask, don't tell" policy is best.

As far as age goes, I think people don't want to be stereotyped as a young whippersnapper or an old fart. Chronological age has a loose correlation with wisdom, but we all know young people with wisdom beyond their years and older folks without a lick of common sense.

Just look at that thread about "spoiled brat teenagers"...

Topper

Flashaholic*
I never really thought about it. I do have rules for my son as far as personal stuff goes I do not wish him to give out anything other than his first name just because you never know. Oh I am a 46 year old male married with one son. I push the scales to around 175 pounds and stand around 5 foot 7 inches I have blue eyes and am predominately left handed if that matters to anybody. I really do live in North East Arkansas..Jonesboro to be more exact.
I also put hot sauce on most food. I hope that helps. If anybody needs more info on me just ask.
Topper

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Topper said:
I never really thought about it. I do have rules for my son as far as personal stuff goes I do not wish him to give out anything other than his first name just because you never know. Oh I am a 46 year old male married with one son. I push the scales to around 175 pounds and stand around 5 foot 7 inches I have blue eyes and am predominately left handed if that matters to anybody. I really do live in North East Arkansas..Jonesboro to be more exact.
I also put hot sauce on most food. I hope that helps. If anybody needs more info on me just ask.
Topper

Ok, I'll ask.. Where do you get left handed flashlights? :)

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Topper, I want to know if you ate the bit of blueberry Pop-Tart you found lodged in your computer keyboard.

Also, did you put hot sauce on it?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its my experience most women dont want to mention their age or weight. I always circumvent this by giving them an overly inflated weight or age. :)

I have fun myself giving that info out, most dont believe i weigh over 300 pounds, at least til 2 weeks ago and most dont beleive I am 28. THey think I am lighter and older.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Ha of course I did. Five minute rule was in effect, no hot sauce.
Pyd, I do own several knives made for "Left'ys" but alass I have not found a true left handed light as a "mostly" left hander it is not a problem. I shoot pistols right handed for some reason.So I can adapt to a right mans world when I have to.
Topper

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
oldgrandpajack said:
I'll never reveal my age, as I'm afraid I'll be sterotyped!

oldgrandpajack

Is that a joke? Stereo typed as what, and old grandpa? I mean, the name "oldgrandpajack" sort of paints a picture. I know whenever I think of "oldgrandpajack" I imagine a mountain man of a guy that looks a bit like Santa Clause and lives in the woods and sits on his old wooden porch sipping whiskey and smoking a pipe, listening to the wind, and watching the birds fly by.

Now that I think about it, Trashman sort of paints a picture, too.....oops, time for me to shut up!

BTW, I'm 33 and NOT homeless.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one that doesn't like to know peoples age online? I think it is an advantage not to know because there is always a risk of being prejudiced about a person when you know.

The difference between actual age and perceived age can be funny at times, some people I only had talked to online for a long time before we met thought I was a grey haired older man (+50 years). Today I got asked what I was studying, then I had to say I hadn't been attending university this millennium, "are you really that old" was the respons I got.

Sigbjoern

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Is that a joke? Stereo typed as what, and old grandpa? I mean, the name "oldgrandpajack" sort of paints a picture. I know whenever I think of "oldgrandpajack" I imagine a mountain man of a guy that looks a bit like Santa Clause and lives in the woods and sits on his old wooden porch sipping whiskey and smoking a pipe, listening to the wind, and watching the birds fly by.

I don't smoke. :) Do look a little like Santa Claus though. When I'm shopping in the grocery store, this time of year, kids will stop acting up when they spot me. Sometimes it's down right amazing, the transformation is so extreme. I see the biggest smiles. :)

oldgrandpajack

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
nethiker said:
...I've disclosed many personal details in my posts on CPF just as I have learned a great deal about others. I just don't think it's necessary to make it too easy for someone to learn about me without taking the time to participate themselves.....

With my privacy fetish I definately won't put any personal details into a place where it may easily harvested with a primitive perl script. (Those who can write advanced perl scripts already have it, if they want it badly enough.)

cobb said:
...I always circumvent this by giving them an overly inflated weight or age. :)

Cobb -- I love you, man.

Trashman said:
Is that a joke? Stereo typed as what, and old grandpa? I mean, the name "oldgrandpajack" sort of paints a picture...

You are just the latest of many to be duped by that handle. oldgrandpajack is actually a seventeen year old pud with orange hair living in a van just outside of Reno.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not forget, this is the magical world of the internet. We can be all young, smart, pretty, thin and muscular. :)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
Many women are afraid to reveal their weight for fear of being judged for it. It's a silly thing to be judged for, as a person's worth is NOT determined by the size of their clothes, but it still happens.

Same should apply for age. It's how people behave....that is the difference.

Hookd_On_Photons said:
As far as age goes, I think people don't want to be stereotyped as a young whippersnapper or an old fart. Chronological age has a loose correlation with wisdom, but we all know young people with wisdom beyond their years and older folks without a lick of common sense.

Just look at that thread about "spoiled brat teenagers"...

Fully agreed. I know 15 year olds whom I can talk to on equal terms as a professional, and much older people who don't know what to do with themselves at the end of the day.

Back to the original point - no point divulging more info on the Net than absolutely needed. Thing is, you never know when or how it will come back to bite you. I'm always amused by local blogs which publish every miserable detail of the subject's boring life.. or better still, something scandalous which comes back to be used against them! :crackup:

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm more of the "don't give anyone more clues to your identity" type. Not for anonymity, but for identity protection.