Do any other CPFers have video game record high scores?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Does anybody else here have a world record high score on an arcade video game?

I have (what I believe is still) the record high score on the Venture Line arcade coin-op video game Looping: 2,458,770 set on November 14, 1982; and I found a marquee for this game early this afternoon. It will be *PERFECT*. :)
looping6.jpg

This is the marquee from the top of the front of the game.
This isn't the specific marquee I'll receive; this photograph is for representative purposes only.

eg1.jpg

eg2.jpg

looping9.jpg

And here is some documentation of that record high score.

I also have (or *had*) records for a couple of other arcade games from this time frame (early-1980s):
Star Trek (Sega) 31,054,500
Krull (Gottlieb) 1,053,000

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Does any other CPFerr have video game record high scores?

Not nationally known, but this is my all-time high score in solitaire (draw 3) done about 5 years ago...

sol.jpg

Haven't come close since.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

31 million on Star Trek? Did you ever dock with a Starbase?

startrek9gs.gif

I wasted many a quarter on that game in my misspent youth. Ahhhh, the sweet satisfaction of a well-placed photon torpedo and the follow-up warp pulse to avoid the stupid Klingons' disruptor blasts... The sickening humiliation of having your warp power sucked dry by that @$#!! purple saucer... And Nomad at the higher levels was insanely fast; either you nailed him in the first two seconds, or else you probably weren't going to get him at all...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Hookd_On_Photons said:
31 million on Star Trek? Did you ever dock with a Starbase?...
The first few dozen or so sectors I did (to increase my supply of photon torpedos and increase my shield strength & warp drive time), but beyond that, I'd just waste the Klingon ships with a photon or two and the bonus for surviving starbases at the end of each sector would replenish them.

Every once in awhile, one of the Klingon ships would simply ignore starbases or the Enterprise, so I could take a bathroom break when necessary - allowing the game to run unattended until I came back to the game and wasted the Klingon ship.

I ended my game at 31,054,500 not because I got killed, but because the arcade closed. If I remember correctly, the game was still going when all the machines inside the structure were powered down for the night

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

Well, I don't have any high scores, but I know this guys who's got some high scores in Sonic. (GBA) Watching him play is.... crazy... :popcorn:
You high scorers are insane. :wow:

Craig, you were one good looking kid back then... What happened? :nana:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have had some high scores on several video games
Frogger-about 100,000
DigDug-about 2 million
galaxian-about 350,000 I think
MsPacman-about 200,000
Guantlet- .... I once played for 15 hours straight and got to where I could play unlimited on 3 of the 4 characters
there were about a half dozen other games I did well on also.
The stupid arcade kept high scores but a few of mine ended up being
reset and someone else got the high score at a lower rate.

I once won a trophy and an intel intellivision for being the best at Frogger in a 3 minute contest

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Lynx_Arc said:
...I once won a trophy and an intel intellivision for being the best at Frogger in a 3 minute contest
You lucky son of a gun...all I have *at the present time* to show for any of my accomplishments regarding arcade video game high scores is that newspaper clipping (1/4th of a page on page A2 of the Juneau Empire).
If I had received a trophy, you bet your sweet patootie I would have hung onto that!!!

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

ahh that sucks!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'm resubmitting my score right now as I type this; we'll soon see what happens.

(Edit, a few moments later)
Ehhhh doodlebugs!!!
I got a screen saying I had to print it out and send it with a video tape in order for them to accept the score.
I included the three photographs from the beginning of this thread; but they may not be sufficient. :shakehead:

Last edited:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
your score kills that other guys score they have!

Last edited by a moderator:

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope no world records or anything. I'm very good at halo though. I was 26th out of around 8,000 in a nation wide 'demo' turny. Naturally only the top 10 even got recognized because it was just a 'demo' tournament.

I also have some good minesweeper times but nothing near a wolrd record.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool stuff craig do you recall the score used to flip when ya played games on atari?i may of used wrong word but it would go back to zero .i wonder why they did that perhaps cause they was so weak cpu

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
raggie33 said:
cool stuff craig do you recall the score used to flip when ya played games on atari?i may of used wrong word but it would go back to zero .i wonder why they did that perhaps cause they was so weak cpu
The records I described earlier are from coin-operated arcade video games, not Atari 2600 home video games.

I never played home video games that much - a smattering of Choplifter on an Apple II at a friend's house; Breakout, Tank, and Pong on the Atari 2600 when I lived at the Juneau Receiving Home right around 1980; and Kickman and a few other games for the Commodore 64 in the early-1990s.

I did inherit an Atari 2600 and a few cartridges for it in the early-1990s, but they were lost when I moved in October 2004.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had over 900k on a pacman i own.
i dont know what the record is but unfortunatly the high score was lost when i rebuilt the machine.
i got it free and played it for a while with the hum in the speaker and dim blurry crt.
now that its totally rebuilt and works and looks like new it is a pretty endtable.
i hear these cocktail table units are rare.
had close to a million on a centipede i fixed up for a neighbor.
they moved to az so not sure if that still stands.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Atari Centipede coin-op has NOVRAM (non-volatile random access memory) to store high scores among other things; that chip can be written to approximately 1,000 times before it needs to be replaced. So I think your high score is still on the machine.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

The_LED_Museum said:
You lucky son of a gun...all I have *at the present time* to show for any of my accomplishments regarding arcade video game high scores is that newspaper clipping (1/4th of a page on page A2 of the Juneau Empire).
If I had received a trophy, you bet your sweet patootie I would have hung onto that!!!

I sold the intellivision for $150 and the trophy broke but is dissasembled and perhaps I will repair it someday. I also got a picture on A2 and while I was playing the game they got my picture thus blinding me and I only had 3 minutes to get as high a score as possible. I thought I had lost because of that. I too have MAME and may one day make a video arcade game machine.