Installation of P61 in E2

Gman

Enlightened
This is FYI only, I was just foolin around and if you try this it's at your own risk.

The post below by yclo got me to thinking,
so I have now intalled the P61 into my E2. This can be done in several ways.

1) Modify the P61, using the lamp only:

Carefully remove the P61 from it's reflector.
I heated a very sharp knife and used this to break the adhesive free. Cut back the outer spring and open so it contacts the top of the barrel. (Better to cut all the spring off and use a washer.) Trim a little off the inner spring.

Problem: The lamp is too long. The glass "tit" used in sealing the lamp may contact the E2's lens and if you screw it down you'll break it. You must space the lamp away from the E2's inner bezel flange slightly to avoid this. This did not seem to alter the beam pattern at all but I know it has to.

2) Modify the E2 bezel and the entire P61:

You need a lathe for this. Bore out the E2's reflector (ouch) and turn down the P61 to fit. This keeps the same beam as a stock P61 but dedicates the bezel for P61 use only.
I have not down this, but measurements show it shuld not be a problem.

3) Machine a new bezel:

This I have done. Since this is a new part, the lens can be pryrex or thicker polycarbonate and the bezel sized to one's desire. The bezel can be larger to accept the P61 "as is" or the same size as the E2 with the P61 being reduced as above. Mine looks like the E2's except for the "tear drops". (Looks much like an Arc LS's bezel)

I realize that machine tools are needed for all but method one and that method leaves the E2's head as is, so it may be best for others who may choose to try it. I will try method two when I can buy a spare bezel to open up. I may sacrifice my E1's head as it's the same as an E2's, or simply stick to my new scratch made bezel for P61 use.)

(If you guys spend so much on torches, you oughta by a small hobby lathe for $350 and then you can go nuts on building many other things besides torches. But I warn you, it can turn into another serious addiction.)
smile.gif

The other issue is whether the lens (does anyone really know if it's arcylic or polycarbonate? There is a big difference between these materials. "Lexan" is just a GE trademark for ploycarb, btw) will handle the P61's output, especialy when so close to it as in method one.

I doubt it'll be a problem with method two as my modified Garrities running the P61 and P91 have a plastic lens and it's no problem at all. They are a smaller OD than the E2 but have the slightly larger Garrity AA head. Frankly, they are so close to the E2's size the above project seems more an exercise in boredom than a good E2 mod but the E2 *is* pretty nice running the P61.

Is it all worth it? I dunno. The beam is good (and clearly brighter), but I only have one E2 so I couldn't compare it with the E2's
stock lamp. I thought of installing the E2 lamp into my E1's bezel and using my power supply to run it for comparison, but was too lazy to set that up.
grin.gif

The difference seems to be on a par with the P60 vrs the P61 in a 6P. It's clearly brigher, but I'm not sure that has any real value compared to a stock E2 for everyday carry.

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gman:
This is FYI only, I was just foolin around and if you try this it's at your own risk.
The difference seems to be on a par with the P60 vrs the P61 in a 6P. It's clearly brigher, but I'm not sure that has any real value compared to a stock E2 for everyday carry.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting you should put that line in at the end. While I admire your ability to make this modification, it seems a bit more trouble than it's worth. One of the great things about the E2 is it's 70+ minute run time, with a very good light output. IMHO, the E2 puts out plenty of light, as it is. I know this is heresy in this group, but if I think I'm going to need more light, I'll bring a bigger light, rather than reduce the E2 to a 20 minute flashlight. I have a 9P, or a M6, for when I think I'll *really* be needing a lot of light.
shocked.gif

Pardon my narrowmindedness, but I think the E2 is a masterpiece in it's original, factory configuration.

But then, I have 2D cell Maglite, with a halogen 6 volt lamp, and 2 lithium D cells, which cost, each, as much as the whole light did.
grin.gif
It puts out a lot of light for it's size, but few people even realize it's putting out about three times as much light as an 'out of the package' 2 D cell Maglite does. The people who know about my little 'lumen booster' modification of a 2 D cell Maglite, think I'm pretty crazy for putting a $4.50 halogen lamp, and $38 worth of lithium batteries, into a $17 Maglight. But I'm a flashaholic, and it makes perfect sense, to me.
grin.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif

I would have said there wasn't any way you could put a P61 lamp in an E2, and I'd have been wrong!
blush.gif
After all, what good is a new flashlight, if we can't double it's cost (or more) with some oddball modification!

Gman

Enlightened
lol...Yes, I agree completely. The E2, in it's stock incarnation, is quite possibly the best little light of it's kind in the world.

Hard to improve upon for sure. But, there are those who seem to wish something akin to nuclear power in the smallest package possible. It is they for whom I toil.
tongue.gif

I did it only as an excercise based on a 'what if" by the other poster. It's doable, but I agree maybe not so practical.

I have to cease and desist soon anyway, lest I end up with far too many of these odd balls gadgets. It's fun to play however, I enjoy metal working anyway and when I add in the torch stuff it's that much more enjoyable.
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gman:
2) Modify the E2 bezel and the entire P61:

You need a lathe for this. Bore out the E2's reflector (ouch) and turn down the P61 to fit. This keeps the same beam as a stock P61 but dedicates the bezel for P61 use only.
I have not down this, but measurements show it shuld not be a problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gman, I measured up the E2 and P61, and I reckon that you will lose so much of the P61 reflector that it would be *unpredictable* in the beam effect.

But I like the idea of an E2Mega, even with a 20 minute runtime.

And buying a lathe - yes, someday I will ......
I have a retired friend, Engineer Joe, and he can occasionally do some machine work for me, but not as much as I would enjoy.

Jahn
frown.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALSO - Warning !!!

I have tried to take a P61 apart, and that example couldn't be done ! The lamp was sealed into the Lamp Assembly with a ceramic that extended all the way up to the surround "tube" within the reflector.
It was impossible to remove without breaking the envelope.

(It was a dead LA, by the way.)

lightlover

Gman

Enlightened
Hmmm, I had no problem, but I had no adhesive up in the reflector. Me thinks you need to apply some gradual heat, nothing on it that will be damaged before the adhesive softens. Put the thing in an oven at 200F, it'll come off.

The reflector would be the same size as the E2's. The beam looked pretty good with the P61 on that but I need to reduce a P61's to be sure.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
[qb]. :

But then, I have 2D cell Maglite, with a halogen 6 volt lamp, and 2 lithium D cells qb]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gandalf,

Do you get much increased run time with those Lith D's How much?

BN