Best LED light for running CR123A's dead?

InfidelCastro

Banned
The ones that won't power my G2 anymore. I was thinking of picking up an X5 sometime. Any other suggestions?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro wrote: "The ones that won't power my G2 anymore. I was thinking of picking up an X5 sometime. Any other suggestions?"

I'm not an expert - but I would have thought that multiple Lithium cell (CR123A) lights are probably not such a great idea to drain or use up batteries.

If there is any chance that the CR123A lithium batteries are at different discharge levels there may the danger of reverse charging to the weaker cell that could cause a potentially serious explosion -
take a look at this sticky thread -

Sticky: A Little Accident. W/123's and a Peli. M6 (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

So my thought would be to use a single cell light for draining and using up batteries......

Perhaps a X5 with Red LED that runs on a single CR123A?

please also see this similar thread for suggestions -
Which light to realy empty your CR123-cells

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
i guess it depends on what you mean by "different charge levels", what about taking the "dead" pair of cells out of the G2, lets say, and putting *both* of those cells in the X5, i'd imagine that *should* be safe, as they were both used in the same light initially, they both should be at the same discharge level....

now, taking one cell from the G2, and one from the X0, *that* would be dangerous....

am i on the right track here?

how about taking a piece of adhesive (or electrical) tape, and tape the "dead" batteries together (side by side) so you know which ones have been paired correctly if you need to store them before using them in the battery sucker?

WDR65

Enlightened
I'm using a Surefire L1 for this purpose and used to use an E1e with a KL1 head. A QIII might also work for this, though I'm not certain. Its nice to be able to squeeze that last little bit of life out these cells, though I'm sure something with a few 5MM LEDs and direct drive might do it even better.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Yea, I definately wouldn't put two CR123A's from different lights in the X5. It would be the same two from the G2, ect.

The Dorcy 1W Luxeon looks interesting. I've seen the 3AAA version at Target, Sears and Walmart, but have yet to see one in CR123. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll surely keep an eye out for one of those!